IGNORED

What's the importance of Fasting in your personal spiritual life?

Fady4Jesus

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/04/1980

I'd like to discuss the importance of Fasting as a way of training for self-control and also as an obedience to Jesus's teachings in our personal spiritual life...

everyone may talk about his/her practice and what benefits he/she gained from it.

Thank you.

Edited by Fady4Jesus

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Fasting can teach us about ourselves. It reveals to us how much our peace depends on the pleasure of eating. Fasting helps us practice our dependence on God and self-denial. Fasting teaches us self-contol and forces us to focus on our resources in God.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/03/1986

Fasting can teach us about ourselves. It reveals to us how much our peace depends on the pleasure of eating. Fasting helps us practice our dependence on God and self-denial. Fasting teaches us self-contol and forces us to focus on our resources in God.

:rolleyes: Good answer. Exactly what I was thinking. Its another act of self-denial which as christians we should practice in order to truly show our dependence on and dedication to the Lord. Plus, as a mourning for the Christ who is currently not with us(Luke 5:33-35). And my girlfriend has told me which is true that we should pray as much as possible during this time as well. Just makes sense ya know.

Its actually kind of funny because fasting for me is not very hard. I often skip breakfast withought thinking about it and find it easy to miss a lunch, lol. Anyway, It's definetly a great practice that we should do regularly for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! Your brother in Him, matthew

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I think spiritual disciplines like fasting are very important. Self-denial and prayer are things that should be practiced every day, and periods of fasting are a great way to learn those habits. It's like exercising a muscle...if you set aside time to do really good leg work-outs*, you're also going to gradually find it easier to do everyday things like walking up the stairs in your house.

Some tips on fasting:

1. If you are diabetic or have any other health concerns, talk to your doctor for safe fasting practices. Keep in mind, you can just fast from certain things--like your favourite meat, for example--you don't always have to go off all food.

2. Don't dive into some crazy 40-day fast from all solid food or anything like that right off the bat. Most people's bodies need preparation for that sort of thing.

3. While you're fasting, every time you crave that food (or whatever you're fasting from) use that as a cue to pray and spend some time in the Word. If you're at the office or school, just have a verse handy (maybe make flash cards beforehand) and take a minute to think and pray about it.

*er...don't just work-out your legs when you're spending that time at the gym...it's important to keep your whole body balanced while going through a fitness regimen. :cool:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Some tips on fasting:

1. If you are diabetic or have any other health concerns, talk to your doctor for safe fasting practices. Keep in mind, you can just fast from certain things--like your favourite meat, for example--you don't always have to go off all food.

2. Don't dive into some crazy 40-day fast from all solid food or anything like that right off the bat. Most people's bodies need preparation for that sort of thing.

3. While you're fasting, every time you crave that food (or whatever you're fasting from) use that as a cue to pray and spend some time in the Word. If you're at the office or school, just have a verse handy (maybe make flash cards beforehand) and take a minute to think and pray about it.

I would add one more.

4. When fasting do it in secret and the Lord will reward you openly.

I had some questions about somethings that I was facing in life and wasn't getting answers. The Lord placed it on my heart to fast the next day. I didn't have to work so I stayed at the house praying and reading during the fast. That night I was lead in scripture to exactly what I had been asking questions about. Praise the Lord he heard my voice and responded in love with the answers.

I think fasting is also a way to show that we can overcome the desires of the flesh when we are earnestly seeking to receive from God. :24:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/03/1986

Some tips on fasting:

I would add one more.

4. When fasting do it in secret and the Lord will reward you openly.

I had some questions about somethings that I was facing in life and wasn't getting answers. The Lord placed it on my heart to fast the next day. I didn't have to work so I stayed at the house praying and reading during the fast. That night I was lead in scripture to exactly what I had been asking questions about. Praise the Lord he heard my voice and responded in love with the answers.

I think fasting is also a way to show that we can overcome the desires of the flesh when we are earnestly seeking to receive from God. :wub:

AMEN :laugh:

For those who are truly in God's path He always answers prayers!

• Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

i have always had a hard time fasting. not that i cant do it, because i can go forever without eating.the thing is that whenever i fast, in the back of my mind there is the weight issue going on. i start thinking about how i am losing all this weight and then it becomes a battle of the mind, to try to focus on the fasting and not the losing weight. its annoying :whistling:

Guest Biblicist

Does it count if you don't eat anything between the hours of 7pm and 7am every day and pray before bed? Would that be considered fasting? :)

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Does it count if you don't eat anything between the hours of 7pm and 7am every day and pray before bed? Would that be considered fasting? :)

*laugh* I guess...technically...if you're only going by the dictionary definition...though even the dicitonary definition says "esp. as a religious observance," so the jury's still out on that one :24:

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

Does it count if you don't eat anything between the hours of 7pm and 7am every day and pray before bed? Would that be considered fasting? :ph34r:

Fasting can be just about anything..

I have fasted from certatain things or just fasted from a specific meal or fasted for weeks with just one meal a day that was healthy..

There are just so many ways to fast and I have found the best way at the time is to see what God says..

There are times the Lord has spoken to me to fast also..

It is such a personal experience that you cannot tell anyone how to fast, in my opinion ..

Just share suggestions. :24:

I have found fasting a wonderful experience...

even though it often can be a test of my commitment to it...(hard sometimes to continue :ph34r: )