IGNORED

Can we be punished for the Sins of our Parents?

MeCajunboy

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/14/2006

Cajunboy::::Really eric, I will ask you to reread Exodus 34:7 and tell me what you think ? The reason I asked this question on this topic Eric, is because I have sensed that I was condemned with the sin of a father and his father on up a few generations. That was the fartherest I could trace the same (sexual) sin of this nature, and it's not a common one, so it's easy to spot if you know how and where to look for it. BUT IT STOPPED WITH ME, Eric. Only by the grace of God was I able to bury my cross before God, and only through God. That's why I'm alive and still here today. I knew it had to be stopped and I was the only one at the time that had the strength and wisdom to do it! Praise God!

Thanks for your input Eric

I noticed you only respond to the more difficult ones, I think?

In God's Love

Cajunboy

Hmm, I might know what you're asking, I might not. But here's my example.

Say that my father is an alcoholic, and my grandfather, and my great-grandfather. God would not punish ME for being an alcoholic-- I'm not! But the TEMPTATION to drink would likely be greater for me, as I was raised in a family where drinking was the norm. You might have been more tempted to fall into the same area of sin, because it was common; you grew up with it. But this temptation is not a punishment from God.

Oh, yeah-- my father was not an alcoholic, nor my grandfather or great-grandfather. Just an example!

Tell me if that helps, or if that's not the answer you're looking for. :thumbsup:

Akiko

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

What's your take on this topic? Do you believe that man can or should be punished for the sins or generations before us? Why do you think that is? Says a great deal about "demonic power."

the Bible says that a person will not suffer punishment for their parents sins....... not in judgement.....

however......

the other way around.... we are responsible for our children.... if they misbehave and we do nothing, we are responsible.... if we rebuke them for their actions, they are taking it in their own hands should they rebell.....

look at the 10 commandments..... the first commandment with a promise is Thou Shalt Honor Thy Mother And Father...... what doesthe promise say??????

if my father sins, it is up to me to break the cycle, and if i break the cycle, i will pass on a blessing rather then the generational curse...... if i do not, then I am just as responsible for my doings as my father would be for his.... I BROKE THE CYCLE OF ABUSE, OF DRUGS, SEX, BOOZE, AND OTHER THINGS.... my father died because of his sins, his physical body suffered because of them...... and he died at a very young age, directly from his sins...... his father was in the same boat, he did not die quite as young, but again, his sins are what killed him... as with his father..... my brother also broke the cycle in this line, there are only the three of us, me, my sister and brother ( another brother died at 6 months due to asthma in 1961 in England) so, it is now up to our children to continue in the light of Christ, to keep the cycle from starting again..........

mike

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

What's your take on this topic? Do you believe that man can or should be punished for the sins or generations before us? Why do you think that is? Says a great deal about "demonic power."

No, God does not punish us for the sins of others. We can, however, experience negative consequences because of the sins of others.

Cajunboy::::Really eric, I will ask you to reread Exodus 34:7 and tell me what you think ? The reason I asked this question on this topic Eric, is because I have sensed that I was condemned with the sin of a father and his father on up a few generations. That was the fartherest I could trace the same (sexual) sin of this nature, and it's not a common one, so it's easy to spot if you know how and where to look for it. BUT IT STOPPED WITH ME, Eric. Only by the grace of God was I able to bury my cross before God, and only through God. That's why I'm alive and still here today. I knew it had to be stopped and I was the only one at the time that had the strength and wisdom to do it! Praise God!

Thanks for your input Eric

In God's Love

Cajunboy

MCB -

The operative word in this question is "punish."

As both EricH and HAZARD have rightly written, God does not punish us for the sins of others. We can, however, experience negative consequences because of the sins of others. And I too have seen the results of the negative consequences of familial sin passed down through generations.

But don't confuse this with punishment. Biblically speaking, God does not punish His children at all. He corrects and disciplines, but he does not "punish" as we use the word today.

shalom

shlomo

'Cajunboy:::::I thought since I wrote the topic and asked the question, "can sins from our forefathers be passed down to future generations," and since I didn't convey the Operative word here "Punish" that you might respond to my question. I'm very aware that in the scripture/verse of Exedus the term "Punish" is not mentioned. while I feel that my family has experienced this infraction I do not feel as though I was "punished" for it. However, it is extremely evident to me that what I noted in Exedus is very evident in my own personal life......

Prayers

Cajunboy

Whoah, wait, stop, backup :24:

Post #1 in this thread, your starter topic, isn't it entitled "Can we be punished for the sins of our Parents?" (that is what my title bar reads).

And isn't that your original post in the quote above (with my emphasis added) that asks "Do you believe that man can or should be punished for the sins or generations before us?" ?

So where did this come from ?

Cajunboy:::::I thought since I wrote the topic and asked the question, 'can sins from our forefathers be passed down to future generations,' and since I didn't convey the Operative word here "Punish" that you might respond to my question

That's not the question you asked.

But we did answer the question you asked?

Or did I miss something... :P

shlomo

Cajunboy:::: Please accept my sincere apology? I think I discovered my error when I typed in the "NEW Topic" It ask for two distinct and seperate titles. One is the "topic description" and the other is the "Topic" I inadvertantly typed the wrong phrase in the "topic description because I thought I had to give more description on the question...MY BAD? I really wanted my question to read: "Do you think sins of our fore-generations can be passed down ....after reading Exodus 34:7? I believe it's pretty straight foward but I'm realizing that since many Bibles are written and published by different authors and pub. companies, the terminology may vary. Mine states specifically that, " God did say that the sin of one man can be passed down through his generation chain, until someone puts an end to it by dealing with it.

again, thank you for my misunderstanding of the "topic description"

and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

In God

Cajunboy

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

I want to reply to you now even tho I do not have the verse handy that i am going to refer to. Exodus 34:7 is quite strait-forward in saying that about the sins of the fathers to the 3rd or 4th generations. However, i know for a fact that somewhere either in the prophets or the n.t. this has been rescinded. I am going to look for it now.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

Okay Here We Go:

Jeremiah 31 29"In those days they will not say again, 'The fathers have eaten sour grapes,

And the children's teeth are set on edge.'

30"But everyone will die for his own iniquity; each man who eats the sour grapes, his teeth will be set on edge.

Ezekiel 18

1Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying,

2"(A)What do you mean by using this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying,

'(B)The fathers eat the sour grapes,

But the children's teeth are set on edge'?

3"As I live," declares the Lord GOD, "you are surely not going to use this proverb in Israel anymore.

Romans 8

Deliverance from Bondage

1Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

the Bible says that a person will not suffer punishment for their parents sins....... not in judgement.....

however......

the other way around.... we are responsible for our children.... if they misbehave and we do nothing, we are responsible.... if we rebuke them for their actions, they are taking it in their own hands should they rebell.....

look at the 10 commandments..... the first commandment with a promise is Thou Shalt Honor Thy Mother And Father...... what doesthe promise say??????

if my father sins, it is up to me to break the cycle, and if i break the cycle, i will pass on a blessing rather then the generational curse...... if i do not, then I am just as responsible for my doings as my father would be for his.... I BROKE THE CYCLE OF ABUSE, OF DRUGS, SEX, BOOZE, AND OTHER THINGS.... my father died because of his sins, his physical body suffered because of them...... and he died at a very young age, directly from his sins...... his father was in the same boat, he did not die quite as young, but again, his sins are what killed him... as with his father..... my brother also broke the cycle in this line, there are only the three of us, me, my sister and brother ( another brother died at 6 months due to asthma in 1961 in England) so, it is now up to our children to continue in the light of Christ, to keep the cycle from starting again..........

mike

Hi Mike and thanks for responding, but I'm focusing on a particular scripture here whereby in my Bible in Exodus 34:7 God speaks of the fact that even generations as far as 4 generations later can be condemned with the same sin as their forefathers. But I'm noticing that others are saying something different from their interpretations .....Just curious, you noted that the "Bible said we will not suffer for the sins of our parents. I was just curious as to where you noted that from....What scripture/verse??? and remember, I'm not saying that God said that I am being punished for my parents' sin but my parent is being punished further by God punishing me!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Punished -- NO

Reaping the consequences, sins of the fathers passed from generation to generation -- YES

LT

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

We are not punished for anyone's sins execpt our own. We have very little if any control over what our parents do. The bible also says that every man/ woman is accountable for their own actions. I can't recall the scripture that well, but even if we aren't punished for our parents sins, we still need to ask for forgivness. "There is noe righteous not even one...All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Romans 3: 10,23

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Exodus 34:7 mentions "visiting" the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the childrens children, etc,.

If say a mother contracted aids from her sinning husband, or another serious STD, through his sexual promisquity, then a baby she may have could contract this sickness and suffer for life, even unto death. This is how the child would be inadvertantly punished by the sin of the parent through no fault of its own.

What about wars?

Drugs?

Violent parents bashing a child, burning them with cigaretts, cuting them?

Leaving children with strangers to be baby-sat, and them being interfered with?

Drunken and dangerous driving by a parent where the child is crippled for life in an accident?

There are many sins committed every day by careless parents which cause their sin to be "visited" upon their children.

:emot-hug:

• 2 weeks later...

however......

mike

Actually Mike, I have found quite the opposite in scriptures In Exodus 34:7 May I ask where did you find your information??? What script.