IGNORED

Should Christians study other religions?

Guest tygra

Should Christians study, or understand, other religions like Islam, Buddhism, etc  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christians study, or understand, other religions like Islam, Buddhism, etc

• No, it is evil to do so.
    • No because it might harm your faith or lead you astray
    • No, there is just no point in it and it would waste time
    • Maybe, if you are personally curious about it
    • Sure, to understand a non-Christian friend's p.o.v.
    • Yes, it's good to know the faith of those you witness to
    • Yes, just to be educated
    • Some other idea
    • No opinion

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

My sister in law is muslim. I live in a predominantly mormon area. I have to have some idea of what their beliefs entail or I cannot defend against it. Nor can I witness without knowing where their beliefs differ from mine. It is not for those weak in faith, but neither should all of us remain ignorant of the false doctrines out there either.

Just my view.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  353
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Again prove through scripture that those who do not study other religions are weaker than you supposed grown up strong Christians. In fact I think those who do study other religions do not have enough faith and trust in the scriptures to let them speak for themselves...JMHO...and prove through the Word that we are to do anything other than meditate upon what is wholesome and pure as Paul wrote we should...false doctrines are best known by knowing what the true doctrine is...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  658
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/01/1965

My views on this is:

Jesus has been by my side and has protected me through some of the worse times in my life. He has been the only one that has not walked out of my life.

I have fallen deeply in Love with His Word and have this awesome intimate relationship with Jesus.

He has been the only one that teaches me daily about Him.

Jesus has taught me how to love.

Because Jesus has taught me and I just can't get enough of Him, I would never want to study any other religion.

No other religion out there can make me more happy then I am now.

Yukon :t2:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

I just think you might have a problem witnessing to those of other faiths, of which you know nothing about. They would easily be able to stump you if you don't already have the answers. That's all.

Guest Bride of Christ
I just think you might have a problem witnessing to those of other faiths, of which you know nothing about. They would easily be able to stump you if you don't already have the answers. That's all.

Have you even ever tried witnessing to others using the Word of God and that only?

The Word of God has all TRUTH....correct? If you know the Word good enough....you can shoot holes all throughout other religions theology.....

end of story.

Guest angel345

(I was, frankly, far too lazy to read all 44 replies, so sorry if someone has already stated this.)

I suppose it's possible that studying other religions might lead you away from God, but I, personally, don't think so. If you are a true Christian, you should be able to think how ridiculous other religions are when studying them.

Maybe I'm just getting defensive 'cuz I got in trouble for bringing the Book of Mormon and the book "Is Mormonism Christian?" to the school I go to (which is a Christian school), and then getting in MORE trouble when accidentally calling it the Mormon BIBLE.. But, seriously, that's what I believe.

The Word of God has all TRUTH....correct? If you know the Word good enough....you can shoot holes all throughout other religions theology.....

Now, no cheating here and researching for any answers, but say you're on the street witnessing to different strangers.

A muslim says that he agrees with you that the Bible is truth and that the koran is an extention of this truth. How do you answer?

A bahai says that he agrees with you and that he also loves Jesus. He also believes in the Bible. How do you answer?

A buddhist says that buddhism also believes in one true God. How do you answer?

A hindu says that they don't believe in the Bible. How do you answer? Do then start quoting from it?

Do you witness to those of other faiths? What is your method? How effect do you find it? Especially those who do not believe in the Bible? Do you find, in those cases, that quoting from it is effective?

Another buddhist says that they don't believe in the Bible. They say that when we die we are reincarnated. How do you answer?

Now remember, no researching these religions, but how do you answer these people who are lost? I'm also giving you lots of very valuable response time, which you would not actually have if you were standing on the street with this person.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  353
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Now, no cheating here and researching for any answers, but say you're on the street witnessing to different strangers.

A muslim says that he agrees with you that the Bible is truth and that the koran is an extention of this truth. How do you answer?

A bahai says that he agrees with you and that he also loves Jesus. He also believes in the Bible. How do you answer?

A buddhist says that buddhism also believes in one true God. How do you answer?

A hindu says that they don't believe in the Bible. How do you answer? Do then start quoting from it?

Do you witness to those of other faiths? What is your method? How effect do you find it? Especially those who do not believe in the Bible? Do you find, in those cases, that quoting from it is effective?

Another buddhist says that they don't believe in the Bible. They say that when we die we are reincarnated. How do you answer?

Now remember, no researching these religions, but how do you answer these people who are lost? I'm also giving you lots of very valuable response time, which you would not actually have if you were standing on the street with this person.

Okay now here we go...the Koran is not extension of Bible...can easily quote the end of revelations about adding anything to Bible...they also believe that Jesus was just a Prophet...would take them to several scriptures where Jesus stated as much...they also believe that we Christians somehow messed up the Bible and mistranslated it..I would say to them in response that the Koran was written by mohamed who was a man...how do we know he did not mistranslate, in fact he is quoted as saying early in the movement that he was unsure of whether he was hearing from God or satan...again I would say that their own faith is not consistent cause some say he died in the desert and that his tomb is in Mecca...others say he ascended to heaven...no consistency in their foundational faith...again taking him to scripture showing how the Bible is consitent...Koran is nothing but Christianity, Judaism, and local pagan cults...eh...no that I am warmed up I go to person number two...

Bahai teach that we are nothing but going through cycles of various "Prophets" OF GOD...that buddha, Jesus, confusis etc...embodied this....now this faiths founder was once a former muslim...and was an branch of it...his name escapes me, but he spoke of one who would be the embodiment of these others...his Brother claimed to be this when he took over the movement...he btw died in a jail cell...alot of people, myself included believe this will be the one world religion of anto-christ for its doctrine has this goal in it...now to answer them

I would compare and contrast here, cause they did not put alot of emphasis on Jesus in their teachings...just that he was one of the prophets, and not a major player when compared to this "super" teacher/prophet, that the Brother claimed to be..I would ask them what their hope is beyond this life...then go from there depending upon their answers....okay....guy number three...

slam dunk...i was into zen buddism before I got saved...they in fact DO NOT believe in God...or any God...they believe in us all being energy...and that when we die we return to that energy...some believe in reincarnation....some also indulge in ancestor worship as well...being most of asian and this is a comman custom...I would take a similiar but slightly altered approach as guy number two..altered because they do not know about Jesus at all...

A hindu is a challenge cause they have millions of God(least that is what Ravi Zacharius says)...I would have to lean on what the Word teaches about the Holy Spirit equipping us with what to say in the times we do not know what to say...which in truth...I only answered your post cause it sounded so smug...I was not always a Christian..and studied other Faiths before I got saved..and a little after the fact...till I felt God saying it was not needed...

Okay now here we go...the Koran is not extension of Bible...can easily quote the end of revelations about adding anything to Bible...they also believe that Jesus was just a Prophet...would take them to several scriptures where Jesus stated as much...they also believe that we Christians somehow messed up the Bible and mistranslated it..I would say to them in response that the Koran was written by mohamed who was a man...how do we know he did not mistranslate, in fact he is quoted as saying early in the movement that he was unsure of whether he was hearing from God or satan...again I would say that their own faith is not consistent cause some say he died in the desert and that his tomb is in Mecca...others say he ascended to heaven...no consistency in their foundational faith...again taking him to scripture showing how the Bible is consitent...Koran is nothing but Christianity, Judaism, and local pagan cults...eh...no that I am warmed up I go to person number two...

lol. Okay. Here I am confused. I thought you were earlier debating that you shouldn't study or have a basic knowledge of other religions and it sure sounds like you do have a basic knowledge of this faith. You can adequately answer the first question at least, which is very good.

Bahai teach that we are nothing but going through cycles of various "Prophets" OF GOD...that buddha, Jesus, confusis etc...embodied this....now this faiths founder was once a former muslim...and was an branch of it...his name escapes me, but he spoke of one who would be the embodiment of these others...his Brother claimed to be this when he took over the movement...he btw died in a jail cell...alot of people, myself included believe this will be the one world religion of anto-christ for its doctrine has this goal in it...now to answer them

lol. okay. You also have a basic knowledge of Bahai. How did you learn this?

slam dunk...i was into zen buddism before I got saved...they in fact DO NOT believe in God...or any God...they believe in us all being energy...and that when we die we return to that energy...some believe in reincarnation....some also indulge in ancestor worship as well...being most of asian and this is a comman custom...I would take a similiar but slightly altered approach as guy number two..altered because they do not know about Jesus at all...

Well then I certainly think that you could most effectively reach a buddhist, since you are very well aware of their beliefs. It's always good to know your adversary.

A hindu is a challenge cause they have millions of God(least that is what Ravi Zacharius says)...I would have to lean on what the Word teaches about the Holy Spirit equipping us with what to say in the times we do not know what to say...which in truth..

Yes, the Holy Spirit does equip us. That's a good answer. I also like to 'always be prepared to give an answer' myself.

.I only answered your post cause it sounded so smug...I was not always a Christian..and studied other Faiths before I got saved..and a little after the fact...till I felt God saying it was not needed...

Well, I don't mean to sound smug bro and am sorry if I come across this way. Maybe I should add some more smiley faces to my posts or something. :help:

I truly believe in my own heart, that studying (not too much in depth as stated many times) other religions has shown me the truth of Jesus Christ to become clearer and clearer. I shake my head when I study what others believe and wonder why. I tell you the truth. If it has so strengthened me, then why tell me it's all wrong? I really only want others to experience this the way I have, but God doesn't call us all to the same things.

And you only answered me because I sounded smug? That's kind of strange, but oh well. Maybe God did tell you it was not needed. You said you studied them a little after getting saved, so maybe it was in your best interest at the time not to study them. I'm glad God spoke to your heart this way.

Actually some Buddhists (not Zen) do believe in one God. They believe that Buddha's teachings have become convaluted over the years and that originally he did teach about one god. I don't mean to sound smug, but for those who do wish to know, it might come in handy and not take them by surprise. It wasn't a trick question or anything like that.

:help: