• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1975

Does anyone have any real knowledge/thoughts about the Mayan calendar's date for the end of the world as we know it? On this date, scientists and modern astronomers state that the sun and the earth will be in perfect alignment with the center of the Milky Way galaxy. This only happens once every 25,800 years. Scientists are not sure what the effect will be, but it is possible magnetic currents will spin in opposite directions, or there may be a field effect reversal. Some believe the positions of the north and south poles would shift, which would cause worldwide disaster. Although this event seems farfetched, this pole shift is backed by science. Thoughts? I must admit, I'm freaked. I shouldn't be because God is in control, and Jesus is coming again. How many of you think this is the date He will return (even though I know the Bible states no one will know the exact time/date), based on known facts/predictions about what will happen?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  2,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

On this date, scientists and modern astronomers state that the sun and the earth will be in perfect alignment with the center of the Milky Way galaxy. This only happens once every 25,800 years.

The earth is at the most, only 10.000 years old; therefore their theory is wrong at it's foundation and doesn't bother me in the least. Second Jesus clearly teaches that no one knows what day he will return, so we know for sure now it won't be Dec 21, 2012.

The earth is at the most, only 10.000 years old; therefore their theory is wrong at it's foundation and doesn't bother me in the least. Second Jesus clearly teaches that no one knows what day he will return, so we know for sure now it won't be Dec 21, 2012.

Do we actually know how old the earth is? What we call a year may be different...

And yes, I concur about Jesus' statement that no one will know the exact date, but that there will be signs for us to look for, all of which appear evident now, me thinks. So, given the signs and evidence we see now, does that date make sense? :)

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Fear not!

Personally, I'd be estatic if Jesus returned before this date. :)

But the Lord tarries so that more can be saved.

As for the Mayan calandar some have interpreted the end date simply to be the end of their ability to count and the calandar would start over from 0 - so to speak.

As for the astronomical alignments, there has yet to be found any evidence that astonomical alignments in the past have made any changes in our solar sytem or on our planet.

As for the pole shift, yes it has been determined that the poles have shifted. However, it us unknown what has caused this. The sun's poles shift about every 11 years, if memory serves me correctly, yet it is still unknown what causes this even.

My encouragement is to take your fears to the Lord and trust His timing and means.

Well-played nebula! :) And yes, I wish Jesus would come now, as we all do, but there are more to be saved, as you stated above. Thanks for the info about already-existing pole shifts, and I like your take on the Mayan calendar simply meaning "time" starts over, although I'm not sure if it will be that nice and pretty! I do wonder how this specific occurance wil play out, with the exact alignment etc. Think many people will be bunkered down like they were for Y2K? :b:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

Perhaps not relevant, but I often tell my mom that the 2012 world's end date is how I'm planning my postgrad life. I figure I'll have about three years after college to kick around and explore and do some things I want to - and if the world doesn't end, I'll figure out how to focus that into a career! :)

Perhaps not relevant, but I often tell my mom that the 2012 world's end date is how I'm planning my postgrad life. I figure I'll have about three years after college to kick around and explore and do some things I want to - and if the world doesn't end, I'll figure out how to focus that into a career! :(

Nice plan! :):b:

• Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

The earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old and should be around for at least another 4 billion years or so. Of course, we won't be around nearly that long. The first organisms on this planet were single celled microbes and they will almost certainly be the last.

The last magnetic pole reversal was approximately 730,000 years ago, and it took approximately 4500 years to complete. Homo Sapiens (us) first originated in sub-saharan africa approximately 200,000 years ago. So as a species, we never have had to endure a magnetic pole reversal. However, one of our predecessors, Homo Erectus, was around for the last magnetic pole reversal and survived as a species for about 200,000 years afterwards. If Homo Erectus figured out how to survive a magnetic field reversal with a brain that was just 75% the size of ours, then I think in the extremely unlikely event that such a change was to begin in our lifetimes, we could adapt as well. :)

Now, Mathqueen, as a math teacher, I bet you could figure out the actual odds of a magnetic pole reversal happening in our lifetimes.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

The earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old and should be around for at least another 4 billion years or so. Of course, we won't be around nearly that long. The first organisms on this planet were single celled microbes and they will almost certainly be the last.

The last magnetic pole reversal was approximately 730,000 years ago, and it took approximately 4500 years to complete. Homo Sapiens (us) first originated in sub-saharan africa approximately 200,000 years ago. So as a species, we never have had to endure a magnetic pole reversal. However, one of our predecessors, Homo Erectus, was around for the last magnetic pole reversal and survived as a species for about 200,000 years afterwards. If Homo Erectus figured out how to survive a magnetic field reversal with a brain that was just 75% the size of ours, then I think in the extremely unlikely event that such a change was to begin in our lifetimes, we could adapt as well. :)

Now, Mathqueen, as a math teacher, I bet you could figure out the actual odds of a magnetic pole reversal happening in our lifetimes.

So says one theory

• Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60

So says one theory

Well, actually says the only scientific theory on the matter. :)