church refuses gay man's funeral

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,009
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  3

I would bet that this would be one of the best ways to drive people away from Christ, to create them as second class citizens. I know that attitudes like this are things that kept me away from being saved for years.

No matter the justification for the churches action, it comes out as "Too bad, you're gay. We don't consider you equal." Think that heterosexuals in the same situation as these people would be allowed? They'd probably get in no problem.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,867
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

I would bet that this would be one of the best ways to drive people away from Christ, to create them as second class citizens. I know that attitudes like this are things that kept me away from being saved for years.

Personally, I don't think that it was 'their' attitude that kept you away from God all those years.

Maybe your own reluctance to accept the teachings of the Christian faith.

The fact is, Christians MUST proclaim the truths of the bible.......uncompromisingly......otherwise no-one would come to a knowledge of Christ by their testimony.

And the bible (in my view) teaches plainly that homosexuality is wrong.

Btw...since you were saved, do you accept homosexuality, or do you think that the Scripture teaches that it is wrong?

• 7 months later...
Guest italiangirl
By JEFFREY WEISS / The Dallas Morning News

An Arlington church volunteered to host a funeral Thursday, then reneged on the invitation when it became clear the dead man's homosexuality would be identified in the service.

The full article is here;

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/kho...d.1e1068d9.html

Everyone who stands for the Lord needs to email this pastor and commend him for standing for righteousness.

Here is the church web site

http://www.churchunusual.com/address.html

why is identifying a dead mans homosexuality any different than identifying any other sin...Why do christians think thats the worst sin of all? Sin is sin in Gods eyes and the man lying dead in the grave wasnt in any more sin thatn you or me at the moment....Sin happens to have different circumstances though and this is what we need to remember

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Ahhhh, did you notice how old this thread is?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

My thought is this...a pastors job is to comfort the family...to thank the Lord that the deceased life is in accordance with Biblical things, and to ensure mourners that they will see their loved one again in heaven:>) Funerals can get very 'uncomfortable' for everyone when there is not that 'hope of seeing them again' In this case it may have been exactly that...along with some 'pride' involved in the lifestyle.

My aunt and uncle were catholic and JW...my uncle, the catholic, died and the service was of the JW faith. I was young at the time, but I remember being very very confused to hear that my uncle had perished to the fires of hell because he was of the wrong religion. They seriuosly said that during the service! I have not been to another funeral like that since, but I can understand how some pastors might not want to perform the service of someone outside his own faith. It was not a nice service...and I'm sure I was not the only child confused and upset by this:>)

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  871
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

But his brother was a member and employee of the church. And the church had been praying for him as a congregation.

I don't know what is right, I'm just thinking about the brother and family. Agreed that the church should not allow some all-out openly gay event in the church. I'm not so sure I agree that the church should have cancelled the funeral - out of love for the brother/employee/church member.

sigh - these situations are hard for me to sort out.

We all know that the homosexual lifestyle is an abomination. I feel there could have been a better compromise though, out of respect. :whistling:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

They could have offered a "church" service while insisting that the homo thing not be considered. Then the family could decide if they want a homo service or a Godly service.

How many here have not been to a funeral of a sinner? :whistling: