ray

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  281
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Its that time of the year again to head back to school. What has been your best or worst school experience?

It was my senior year in High school when I made state finals on the swim team. But wait theres more! my favorite event was the 500 meter free style or 20 laps of the pool. When you only have one lap to go they shoot the gun over your lane. This never happened for me till my senior year. It was fantastic. Not only that my dad was the starter guy with the gun and he got to shoot the gun over my head on the last lap. This was awesome school year for me.

The worst year of school was actually my second year of being a teacher when one of my students went home with a bad head ache. Her mom thought it was weird that the head ache did not go away and took her the ER. After several hours later and some testing they found out that that my student had a brain tumor and it was not fixable and only had 24 hours to live. She died the next day and when I found I was in total disbelief. I was amazed how the school came together and paid for the entire funeral expesenses for the family. That was a rough school year.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

i have too many "bests" so i will start with the worst while i think about the best.

I was in first year, at the first university i went to. i was in physics class taught by the hardest prof ever! everyone was failing that class. 3s out of 20 were very common. if anyone got like a 9 out of 20, they were considered a genius! so this prof asked the entire class to vote on doing a re-test or cancelling one of the tests to make the final worth more or something to that nature. she said that if even one person opposed, she wouldnt do it. it was a dumb thing to do but i opposed and i dont even know why. just like that, i became the most hated person in class. to make matters worse, i had most of the same people in the rest of my classes which meant i had to see them everyday for every single class. it was terrible. people would post nasty things on the physics message boards (some anonymously). i know this doesnt even begin to compare but at that time, i got a glimpse of how terrible it must have felt for Jesus to be so hated. anyways, during that time, i found out who my friends were. this one girl really stood up for me. she would respond to the nasty people on the message boards and tell them to *bleep* off and made sure that they knew who she was. yup, that has to be my most recent worst school experience.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

I always enjoyed going back. There was something exciting about the new start

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Yeah...going back was my favourite part; I was always so motivated at the beginning, starting out handing in all my assignments and my lowest marks being in the high 80's...good thing, because by about the end of October I'd lose the motivation and just not hand things in, so basically I rode all the way through highschool on my midterm grades and final exams :) (yeah, I've never been much good at the school thing)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

Worst school memory? High School. Full stop. (or period if you are American ;))

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

i have too many "bests" so i will start with the worst while i think about the best.

I was in first year, at the first university i went to. i was in physics class taught by the hardest prof ever! everyone was failing that class. 3s out of 20 were very common. if anyone got like a 9 out of 20, they were considered a genius! so this prof asked the entire class to vote on doing a re-test or cancelling one of the tests to make the final worth more or something to that nature. she said that if even one person opposed, she wouldnt do it. it was a dumb thing to do but i opposed and i dont even know why. just like that, i became the most hated person in class. to make matters worse, i had most of the same people in the rest of my classes which meant i had to see them everyday for every single class. it was terrible. people would post nasty things on the physics message boards (some anonymously). i know this doesnt even begin to compare but at that time, i got a glimpse of how terrible it must have felt for Jesus to be so hated. anyways, during that time, i found out who my friends were. this one girl really stood up for me. she would respond to the nasty people on the message boards and tell them to *bleep* off and made sure that they knew who she was. yup, that has to be my most recent worst school experience.

There were two very bad times in my life and the rest was extremely positive. :)

kindergarten-- School was not explained to me. My mother was always ill and my younger sister always in the hospital so i was a care giver earlyand never wanted to leave either of them. I lived in the so. bronx at the time, After being walked a few blocks to school, I sat in a auditorium next to a light skin black girl...Not knowing any better I told her her face was dirty and tried to rub 'her color' off... I was afraid because the ' dirt' was permanant. Then when my mom did not come for me and the teacher did ,I walked myself home Feeliing that my mother put me there because I was bad...and was never coming back,I will turn brown also-.

I was in First grade a catholic school in st. thomas aquinas school. Kids were terrified of nuns back then. Sister Mary Margaret was my teacher, In the course of taking a test she had gone to use the restroom and left a student in charge and all had to remain in their seats, my pencil rolled off my desk..I did not know what to do, the desks back then were one piece, so I leaned to my left to reach the pencil on the floor...lo and Behold..I was on the floor with the desk and all on top of me. I still could not figure out how now to get up without leaving my seat. the surrounding kids were to scared to help. I did managed though. When I sat up, a friend cathy, looked back at me..screamed YOUR BLEEDING. I looked down on my paper which was soaked with crimson red blood and drippins running like a faucet that needed a new washer!! Now what do I do? A few friends decided I needed to go to the nurse which I did not know where the office was. So now we had to leave our seats, I can remember the clickety clacking Of our shoes down the marble stairs. I got bandaged up ear to ear , in the mean time the others were sent back to the class. When I got back there they were all lined up and sister Mary Margaret was going to beat their little knuckles for getting out of their seats and helping me. I protested. She then told me I was lucky my knuckles were being spared...With that I yelled at her and looked right into her eyes saying You don't know God or Jesus. you are a mean old witch. I got sent to the principals office but they not dare call my home so I stayed there. I told the nun what happened, between other mothers who were toatally livid over what happened I became known as a trouble maker. But after the nun drop dead for some reason things changed, Maybe her old ways had everyone in bondage.

I loved school..because I loved learning and it took be away from my homelife I loved it best when I completely understood what I was learning in all my subjects. Mostly all of my teachers were wonderful.( there were two I could not learn from and switched classes) My English teacher submitted a short story of a traveling penny I wrote, I had little belief at all in my abilities, but she did it any way and I won... My Psychology Teacher in High school wrote tremendous letter of reccommendation for me to go into this field and was amazed how easily it came to me. In the last year in High School I did not have to take one final because of my high grades that was the most burden lifting feeling beside being saved!

I lost a lot of recall due to a brain injury and had to be retaught...in going to college I find that most of the teachers were patient with me and knew something was wrong...It was embarrassing. I did not know where to put words, so in English I was marked accordding to creative Ideas and the teacher worked every day with me to get nouns, pronouns verbs and so on back into the correct places. My psychology teacher let me take oral tests. I am ever so grateful for these teachers who did not have to help me...I cry now as I sit here and tell you guys They were so didicated . The doctors even when I worked in the hospital, neurologists, and so on would stare at me but couldn't remeber me. I was the person they told I will not be able to retain anything or do much of anything. But with Christ all things are possible. My family and doctors gave up on me...my friends except two left me...I got to know Jesus Christ as my personal Savior, so thats enough babbling ;)

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,790
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  224
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

;):):24: so glad you had some help when you needed it :24::24:

i have two favorite stories, and neither of them are "mine"... at least not in the sense that i was the one going back to school.

the day i dropped my oldest daughter off in front of the high school for the first time. well, actually behind the high school, by the doors to the band hall, which was her first class. wow... that was a truly emotional day, i was so overwhelmed! it just didn't seem like that long ago when i, myself, was entering those exact same doors for the first time as a freshman! (yep, same school!) i bawled like a baby.

my second favorite... my second daughter. not on her first day though. nope, this happened a few weeks prior to the first day of school that year. the day she was accepted into her school. see, ashlea is an artist. quite a good one, too, although at that point in her life she'd never had any formal lessons. she was auditioning for acceptance into las vegas academy of performing and visual arts... a public school, but an exclusive one that's hard to get into. (anyone remember the movie or tv series called "Fame"?) anyway, these were the fall auditions... earlier auditions had been held during the spring, and they were only allowing the second auditions to fill up a few remaining seats in the various departments. in the art department, they only had room for six more people. and there we sat with over 150 of the most talented artists in clark county. so many kids were going through their extensive portfolios while we waited, and i thought there is NO WAY my daughter can compete against these kids! some of them had had YEARS of art lessons. on top of that, the school had a firm policy on affirmative action, and ashlea is about as white as they come.

i was a nervous wreck when she went in for her testing. and then i was even more nervous while we awaited the final decision of the art instructors. and then i paced the floors when they called her in (alone) to hear the decision of the instructors.

and then i bawled like a baby again when she came out holding her acceptance letter. the instructors were apparently more impressed with her raw talent than they were with the polished portfolios of other potential students. it was the art test that won her acceptance. she didn't even complete her test... which was to draw an object from three different angles. but she was so much more meticulous with the detail she put into it than anyone else. (that's what her instructor told me.)