Axxman

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

Let me just start by being brutally honest.... I don't believe in modern day Prophecy in the charismatic sense.

What is prophecy? Is it seeing visions of the future? Or is it just knowing what is going to happen? Or am I way wrong? I don't want to get too personal about it because people tend to use it against you later on...but suffice it to say that this issue effects me personally and I'm pretty curious about it. If anyone is interested in discussing this I would appreciate it.

BTW...I wasn't trying to start a fight with charismatics...I just wanted to people to know my mindset going into the convo. I'm not trying to start a fight about 'gifts of the spirit'... I am genuinely seeking insight for my own personal reasons.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

you're not alone in feeling this way - i have just been studying about this in Corinthians:

Tongues and Prophecy

1 Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

you're not alone in feeling this way - i have just been studying about this in Corinthians:

Tongues and Prophecy

1 Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives

"Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;"

Ephesians 5:19

Let me just start by being brutally honest.... I don't believe in modern day Prophecy in the charismatic sense.

What is prophecy? Is it seeing visions of the future? Or is it just knowing what is going to happen? Or am I way wrong? I don't want to get too personal about it because people tend to use it against you later on...but suffice it to say that this issue effects me personally and I'm pretty curious about it. If anyone is interested in discussing this I would appreciate it.

BTW...I wasn't trying to start a fight with charismatics...I just wanted to people to know my mindset going into the convo. I'm not trying to start a fight about 'gifts of the spirit'... I am genuinely seeking insight for my own personal reasons.

:rolleyes:

Today's Prophesying By The Leading Of God's Holy Spirit

But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God,I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

Acts 2:16-18

Today People Speak (Prophecy) God's Word By The Power Of God's Holy Spirit

I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

2 Timothy 4:1-5

Today People Even Speak (Prophecy) God's Word About The Future As Lead By God's Holy Spirit

Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

John 5:19-29

You Go Bro!

Prophesy The Word

Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
Jude 1:3

"Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen."

Jude 1:24-25

Love, Joe

PS: You Think Calling A Holy Ghost Filled Brother Or Sister A "Familiar" Could Be Somewhat Unwise?

my ex-step-mother-in-law used to sit down at her typewriter and type out these longwinded prophecies concerning each of her step-children and their wives... she was a kook. and all her prophecies were usually mean spirited. i don't know what god she was listening to, but it sure wasn't OUR God.

i've never heard or read a single modern day prophecy that even came close to meeting the biblical criteria for one. i'm not saying it can't happen, but i think all prophecies of a global nature were covered in scripture by the major and minor prophets that God inspired.

but i think all prophecies of a global nature were covered in scripture by the major and minor prophets that God inspired.
:rolleyes:

Amen!

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
1 John 4:1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

PS: You Think Calling A Holy Ghost Filled Brother Or Sister A "Familiar" Could Be Somewhat Unwise?

Let me just say that I used the word 'familiar' to mean "people familiar with the topic." If there is some other meaning that people might find offense to...then I sincerely apologize. It was not my intent to come here and insult anybody. Because of my beliefs on this subject I have respectfully stayed away from this section of the forum, so as not to offend people. However, I have become somewhat curious about some things and so I came to those who I felt may be 'familiar' with the topic of spiritual prophecy.

Now....

Am I correct in understanding then that you guys don't believe in 'prophecy' as a gift that foretells the future? I am pretty familiar with the scripture that Fraught brought up and I see what he is saying, and it makes sense. However, biblical prophets did foretell the future...whe did that stop? Can God no longer choose people for this purpose?

And trust me LadyC...I know exactly where you are coming from. I have never seen a true spiritual application of prophecy...which is part of the reason why I don't believe that gift exists. However, God can work however he chooses, so I don't count out any possibilities in an absolute sense.

Lastly...if a person has visions of the future, is that not prophecy? If not, what do we call that? Demonic influence? Day dreams?

Tongues and Prophecy

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

OP - yes, some believers still have visions. Otherwise, Acts 2:17 is a lie "And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:"

There are words of knowledge and words of wisdom, office of prophet, speaking prophetically, every believer should prophesy - which means to tell the good news of the gospel b/c the testimony of Christ Jesus is the spirit of prophecy (Rev 19:10), etc.

[Let me just say that I used the word 'familiar' to mean "people familiar with the topic."
:whistling:

Bless You Brother

Prophecy To Me Is To Speak God's Word.

And The Bible Covers Past, Present And Future Without Flaw.

Love, Joe