whollybybill

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Did Jesus pray to himself or our father? If so can you explain Matthew 6:9 --"After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father

which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name."

And Mark 10:18--"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Jesus prayed to God the Father. Even though Jesus was fully man and fully God, he was also the Son of God. The Bible distinguishes the different roles of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit; three Persons, one God.

I hope this helps.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  10/03/1989

Jesus prayed to God the Father. Even though Jesus was fully man and fully God, he was also the Son of God. The Bible distinguishes the different roles of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit; three Persons, one God.

I hope this helps.

Yeah. I have a New Testament that helps explain this. It says that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all God. Just as the past, present, and future are all time. A good way of putting it I think.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Moved from Worthy Welcome to Doctrinal Questions.

Jesus was praying to God the Father

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Content Count:  8

I thought there was only one most high God with no partners unto him as stated in God's law. And Jesus said not to worship

him but the God within him the same god that is in all of us. I'm not trying to take away Jesus' divinity but he stated that his

father is our father and we are the children of god as he is as stated in john 10:34 You must read with open eyes mark 10

17-18 to understand what jesus was saying all along. Some of the text across the bible are a little contradicting. Jesus never

said to worship him therefore which is why I don't worship jesus as THE God. He was a messenger of God sent from God. I

know Jesus came to fulfill the law and not change it as he stated himself. I worship what Jesus worshiped: the God in the

Torah . Can you love me for that? I think we can think the Nicean Council for the confusion.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I'm beginning to wonder if the source of this question has largely to do with what we understand as "prayer."

For most folks I think prayer is thought of as a kind of religious practice (ie. conducted at a certain time of day or in a certain way - eyes closed, hands clasped, kneeling down, etc.) And although certainly prayer is a very solemn thing and should not be considered or entered into lightly, I think that it's the idea that somehow prayer is something more than merely "talking to God."

Obviously prayer takes many forms and is many things. But the one thing that prayer is universally, is fellowship. Prayer is always fellowship. It is fellowship between man and God, and it's the basis for fellowship between believers (1 John 1:3). Not only is prayer felloship btween God and man, and between believers, it is fellowship between the Persons of the Godhead.

Now, commonly we hear from the anti-Trinitarians that Jesus could not have been God in the flesh because He prayed to the Father. If Jesus were God then He must have been praying to Himself. However, when we consider the fact that prayer is also fellowship between the Persons of the Godhead, then there is no conflict. Surely the Triune God is a mystery. How Jesus could be the full God and yet still pray to the Father is confusing to us. Yet Jesus was also one of God's creations. As a man, Jesus was one of God's creatures; He was like us in every way. And as one of God's creatures jesus would naturally have had the desire to seek after God through prayer.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I thought there was only one most high God with no partners unto him as stated in God's law. And Jesus said not to worship

him but the God within him the same god that is in all of us. I'm not trying to take away Jesus' divinity but he stated that his

father is our father and we are the children of god as he is as stated in john 10:34 You must read with open eyes mark 10

17-18 to understand what jesus was saying all along. Some of the text across the bible are a little contradicting. Jesus never

said to worship him therefore which is why I don't worship jesus as THE God. He was a messenger of God sent from God. I

know Jesus came to fulfill the law and not change it as he stated himself. I worship what Jesus worshiped: the God in the

Torah . Can you love me for that? I think we can think the Nicean Council for the confusion.

Hmmm....

Jesus is God - the full God.

Jesus commanded that we worship God.

If we worship God are we not also worshiping Jesus?

The angels worshiped Jesus (Heb. 1:6). Were they wrong?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  130
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/25/1976

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11

"...which is why I don't worship jesus as THE God. He was a messenger of God sent from God."

Whollybybill,

You may not worship Jesus as "The God", but you should because the Scriptures report that the angels do, and that His disciples did.

"And let all the angels of God worship Him."

Hebrews 1:6

And those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, "You are certainly God's Son!"

Matthew 14:33

There is a time a coming that, probably not to far off, when, All that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those who are in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:10-11

The Scripture also gives a us a warning whereby Paul says: See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. 9 For in Him all the fulness of Deity dwells in bodily form, 10 and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority; Colossian 2:8-11

In Jesus ALL the fullness of the Godhead dwells bodily.

We further are told, And He is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  258
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I think one of the things that we must always keep in mind, is that, of the many ways that Jesus teaches us, teaching by example is one of them.

Just like the story im Mat 15:22, Jesus first refused for a reason, to show others how they were and how they must change.

God purposely came to us as a man so that we can relate to all the things He shows us in Jesus Christ. And as a man, Jesus taught us to pray to the Father.

God came to us as a man and died for us, because of that, we owe everything to him.

May I suggest you read John 1:1 -15. Jesus created everything as well.

Jesus is worthy of my worship.