• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/17/1961

I've always been mytified by I Cor 15:29. Can someone explain this verse to me? Thanks :emot-highfive:

baptism of the dead is a pagan ritual that was creeping into the church. Paul was using a bit of sarcasm and logic to try and point out the uselessness of the church preforming this ritual.

the mormons practice this pagan belief, and they even preform it in a baptismal pool supported by 12 oxen i think. Going full pagan in that.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Paraphrased in The Message, it says,

1 Corinthians 15:29

Why do you think people offer themselves to be baptized for those already in the grave? If there's no chance of resurrection for a corpse, if God's power stops at the cemetery gates, why do we keep doing things that suggest he's going to clean the place out someday, pulling everyone up on their feet alive?

...meaning that those who want to do such things aren't right, but the human reasoning behind it is that the dead do not stay dead in the grave. Skewed logic for them, but based on a truth.

Guest Greg Davies

I've always been mytified by I Cor 15:29. Can someone explain this verse to me? Thanks :emot-highfive:

baptism of the dead is a pagan ritual that was creeping into the church. Paul was using a bit of sarcasm and logic to try and point out the uselessness of the church preforming this ritual.

the mormons practice this pagan belief, and they even preform it in a baptismal pool supported by 12 oxen i think. Going full pagan in that.

Sounds plausable. I don't remember anywhere else in the Word that suggests that a person's destiny can be changed after death. Thanks, Greg.

Guest Greg Davies

Why do you think people offer themselves to be baptized for those already in the grave? If there's no chance of resurrection for a corpse, if God's power stops at the cemetery gates, why do we keep doing things that suggest he's going to clean the place out someday, pulling everyone up on their feet alive?

...meaning that those who want to do such things aren't right, but the human reasoning behind it is that the dead do not stay dead in the grave. Skewed logic for them, but based on a truth.

I like your explaination better than the Message praphrase! Thanks, Greg.

Sounds plausable. I don't remember anywhere else in the Word that suggests that a person's destiny can be changed after death. Thanks, Greg.

The bible is very plain on the subject. it is appointed to man once to die, after this is the judgement

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

The reasons Mormons pratice this goes along with their belief in three seperate kindoms of heaven. They belive that if they preform baptizmes for the dead, than that person's sprit can enter the highest kingdom. But the scripture says otherwise.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

I've always been mytified by I Cor 15:29. Can someone explain this verse to me? Thanks :24:

I was just studying this yesterday; the entire chapter is about the resurrection of the dead, that without it our faith is useless. at first it does seem strange: 'if the dead will not be raised, what point is there in people being baptized for those who are dead? even turning the sentence around - people are being baptized for those who are dead because the dead will be raised. scripture indicates that we are the dead until we are raised to life in Christ Jesus.

The reasons Mormons pratice this goes along with their belief in three seperate kindoms of heaven. They belive that if they preform baptizmes for the dead, than that person's sprit can enter the highest kingdom. But the scripture says otherwise.

yeah thats one of the teachings they have that is flawed since they also teach that you can't enter the highest heaven without getting a temple request and being admitted into the inner chambers of the temple. YOu can't exactly do that when your dead.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Yes, Paul was basically pointing to a pagan practice to show that even pagans understood that there was life after death