• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

Something I have been considering for some time. Is there a difference between Jesus' teaching of "do to others as you would have them do to you", and the teachings of many other wise men and philosophers and religions throughout history.

• ~Confucius, for example, once said: "Don't do to others what you don't want them to do to you"
    ~Likewise, Isocrates, a Greek philosopher stated "Whatever angers you don't do to anger others".
    ~The pagan religion has one Golden Rule - "Above all, do no harm".

These were all before the time of Christ, and so the question begs asking - what was different about Jesus?

It is my observation here that Jesus is the first to make a proactive statement. So far, all these philosophers and religions have stated a passive "Don't do to others what you don't want done". In order to accomplish this, I need only keep to myself and stay quiet. I can lock myself in my room and never have contact with another human being, and fulfill the "do no harm" rule, or the "don't do to others what you don't want done to you".

Not so with Jesus. Jesus is proactive. He has turned the passive into an active rule. If I wish to treat others as I would like to be treated, it requires going out of my way to do things for other people. It requires seeking opportunities with others to be loving towards them.

Some may say the difference in outlooks is negligible, but though it is a fine line, I think the distinction makes the world of difference.

Thoughts? Comments?

~ Regards, PA

Edited by ParanoidAndroid

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I agree that the distinction is important, even if it seems like a fine line. When you think about it, that's one of the ways Satan is so tricky...the best lies stray just far enough from the truth to be wrong but also believable.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

I agree that the distinction is important, even if it seems like a fine line. When you think about it, that's one of the ways Satan is so tricky...the best lies stray just far enough from the truth to be wrong but also believable.

Where do you think they got the info from...lol Most things ar biblical based and there is not one thing i know not of that has not come from scripture.....twisted some things but nevertheless originated from Gods Word.... Hello ther haven't seen you around ..How have you been paranoid android? patricia :24:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  11/27/1979

Where do you think they got the info from...lol Most things ar biblical based and there is not one thing i know not of that has not come from scripture.....twisted some things but nevertheless originated from Gods Word.... Hello ther haven't seen you around ..How have you been paranoid android? patricia :rolleyes:
Hi, yes I've been ParanoidAndroid the whole time. But I don't spend a heap of my time on this site. I drop in every now and then to see how things are going, read through the posts and articles, but don't often post much. Thanks for enquiring though :24:

As to your comment, I'm not sure that you are correct. Confucius and Isocrates both lived 500 years before Jesus existed, and even if it was taught in the Old Testament, both lived in areas with no access to the Hebrew scriptures. And paganism has been around for centuries before Christianity. "Enlightened" people have throughout the centuries all claimed to know the meaning of how to get along with their fellow man. This is human nature, not the Bible. The problem is that human nature has such a hard time carrying out even the simpler version of "do no harm", with everyone agreeing it's a nice sentiment, but if it conflicts with their selfish desires, then to hell with the "do no harm".

Jesus made it even harder for his followers - actively go out and do things for others. But then, Jesus also preached selflessness and humbleness and meekness, things that if properly carried out would naturally lead to the "do to others" routine.

~ Paranoid Android

Edited by ParanoidAndroid

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

Where do you think they got the info from...lol Most things ar biblical based and there is not one thing i know not of that has not come from scripture.....twisted some things but nevertheless originated from Gods Word.... Hello ther haven't seen you around ..How have you been paranoid android? patricia :noidea:

Hi, yes I've been ParanoidAndroid the whole time. But I don't spend a heap of my time on this site. I drop in every now and then to see how things are going, read through the posts and articles, but don't often post much. Thanks for enquiring though ;)

As to your comment, I'm not sure that you are correct. Confucius and Isocrates both lived 500 years before Jesus existed, and even if it was taught in the Old Testament, both lived in areas with no access to the Hebrew scriptures. And paganism has been around for centuries before Christianity. "Enlightened" people have throughout the centuries all claimed to know the meaning of how to get along with their fellow man. This is human nature, not the Bible. The problem is that human nature has such a hard time carrying out even the simpler version of "do no harm", with everyone agreeing it's a nice sentiment, but if it conflicts with their selfish desires, then to hell with the "do no harm".

Jesus made it even harder for his followers - actively go out and do things for others. But then, Jesus also preached selflessness and humbleness and meekness, things that if properly carried out would naturally lead to the "do to others" routine.

~ Paranoid Android

You do not think They may have been enlightenen by Jesus. maybe , maybe not...But God has always been around.

:) i do laugh at times because try to tell this to a prehistoric being and you'd be eated...depending on the tribe. I truly believe Jesus Gave us survival instincts so we may stay alive. They still can be seen. Yet the passive approach would have probably allowed for one tribe to contiue...that would be the one who did not believe in that approach.

I probably need prayer... I will defend my family unto death..hopefully theirs and not mine :) And I am aware that we wrestle things unseen. I felt totally oppposite until my daughter was born.

I was saved my Divine intervention. The bible need not to have been written for Godly enlightment. That is my opinion anyway great to conversate with you love in Christ patricia

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

they say do not do to some one that you do not want some one else doing to you....

none of the others tells us to

LOVE YOUR ENEMY.....

LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOUR SELF.......

DO NOT GROW WEARY OF DOING GOOD.....

there are many others.....

as far as being before Christ, read John fisrt chapt..... in the Begining......

we also find that the Laws of God were written on our hearts......

mike

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

You bring up an excellent point. It is very true that in terms of moral requirements, there is an amazing amount of overlap in terms of what the world's religions teach. Most agree that we should not lie, cheat, steal, murder etc. Most agree that there is some sort of golden rule.

The question I like to ask people is since most of the worlds religions agree that these things constitute morality, how is the world doing in terms of living this morality? If most folks are honest, they will agree that the world is doing pretty poorly. In general, the world is not loving, honest, truthful etc. Where Jesus is unique is His solution on how we can repair our broken relationship with God as a result of not doing the morality all religions agree upon.

The uniqueness of Jesus is that He claims to be the only way to the Father. That He is the payment for our failure to keep these universal moral requirments, and that by accepting His solution He will give us the ability to not only be people who can keep moral requirements, we will be transformed into people who will embody those requirements. In other words we will not just be able to love, we will be loving people. That is because as a result of becoming Christ followers, we actually share in the divine nature:

For His divine power has given us everything required for life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. By these He has given us very great and precious promises, so that through them you may share in the divine nature, escaping the corruption that is in the world because of evil desires.

2 Peter 1:3-4 HCSB

• 1 month later...

God Talk

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." Isaiah 1:18

"The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." Jeremiah 31:3

Who Could Of Guessed?

:thumbsup:

Folks Say This And Folks Say That But...

... Do They Know The Power Of Jesus!

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The same was in the beginning with God.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

John 1:1-5

... Could They Know Of The Power Of God?

... Do They Know The Way The Truth And The Life?

... Have They Heard The Lord Jesus Christ Is The Resurrection And The Life?

And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?

For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?

He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

March 12:24-27

... Did They Hear The News About God's Adoptions?

For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
Romans 8:22-23

... Do They Know The Good News?

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

:emot-wanttohug:

Be Blessed Beloved

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

Give Them Jesus Christ And Him Crucified

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

God Talk

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." Isaiah 1:18

"The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." Jeremiah 31:3

Who Could Of Guessed?

:whistling:

Folks Say This And Folks Say That But...

... Do They Know The Power Of Jesus!

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The same was in the beginning with God.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

John 1:1-5

... Could They Know Of The Power Of God?

... Do They Know The Way The Truth And The Life?

... Have They Heard The Lord Jesus Christ Is The Resurrection And The Life?

And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?

For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?

He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

March 12:24-27

... Did They Hear The News About God's Adoptions?

For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
Romans 8:22-23

... Do They Know The Good News?

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

:noidea:

Be Blessed Beloved

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

Give Them Jesus Christ And Him Crucified

Amen. Beautifully said Joe. :o

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  11/12/1972

This really spoke to me. I want to leave everyone alone though I also want to help out people. Where's the line between being helpful and being meddlesome? What should I, as a single guy, do for a lady I know who's the same age that's going through a divorce? I felt lead by God to leave her alone and pray for her.