The road to humility

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Another thanks to ~smiles~ for your post. It will be posted on my wall as a reminder.

Sin pops it's ugly head up all the time. We need to recognize it as what it is. Pride is a hard one, for, being humble goes against everything we are taught as a child. I find myself checking my thought for pride all the time.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

Hey Bestill,

You are so right. Pride is ingrained in us. Not just you. All of us. Pride is part and parcel of the human being. Then after we accept our Redemption through Jesus Christ we begin to see this element of ourself. The struggle begins. What you will find is that a number of things will kill your pride.

First and foremost as we begin to see ourselves as we really are pride takes a big fall. As the Holy Spirit begins to reveal the depth of our sin nature pride crumbles. This takes time but as you live for the Lord He will do it. It sounds as if He is already starting that work in your life. At the same time we begin to realize the greatness of the gift of Jesus Christ. The wonder of our salvation even though we are so pitiful in our sin nature begins to open to us.

As life progress in the Lord this walk of humility grows in both areas. We continue to have revealed the depth and width of our nature in ourselves which is most pitiful. And we continue to have revealed the grace and glory of Jesus working in our lives.

This is why we can esteem others better than ourselves. It is actually very easy. We have seen ourselves to some extent. It is not a pretty sight. We have seen the beautiful sight of the Lord working in us and for us. And now we can look out and see the positive grace in our fellow Brothers and Sisters in the LORD. ANd it is wonderful. It is actually a wonderful thing as this happens to us.

It is so good to be free to recognize others fine points without it causing us to feel that we are somehow less than what we actually are. We are in Christ and moving in his grace therefore we can see the beauty of others without it making us feel rejected or negative in any way.

Humility is the ground of all Christian virtues. Without the working of humility in our lives we produce self righteousness. It truly is the way of God.

May you be blessed.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Shepherdsgrace...how wise you are.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

I have followed Jesus for 5 years. He has changed me considerably and I am grateful. Mostly I don't do what I once did. My behaviors and lifestyle have changed. For the last year I keep seeing my pride. I'm not talking about conceit. This is different. For example, if I'm feeling self concious, I know this is a form of pride because it's all about me and how I feel. This pride thing keeps popping up and I don't know what to do about it. I don't know how to change it. How does one become humble like Jesus?

I've met a few Christians who wear humility like a beautiful garment and I want that too. Does anyone have anything to share on this? Any insights or experiences themselves? I realize that we are all a work in progress and yes, I am trusting Jesus for His work in me but this just seems like a huge stumbling block that I can't get past.

All of the posts here are good. As I began to think on your question a scripture came to me. "Except ye be converted and become as little children ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever, therefore, shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3-4

WOW! Three keys jump out here. 1. be converted 2. humble himself 3. as a little child

I thought on the charactor of a small child. First and foremost, they acknowledge their total dependance and need for their parent. A child is all snuggled in and at peace in the safe realm of their parents. They trust their parents to feed them, clothe them, put a roof over their heads, set limits and discipline them. Sounds much like our relationship with the Lord doesn't it.

I believe the first step toward the kingdom of heaven is to acknowledge our need for a Saviour. The conversion takes place right there at the cross as we ask Him to forgive us, and acknowledge with our heart that Jesus is the Son of God and He died for us.

There is where the conversion from darkness to the marvelous light of the Lord takes place. From there it is being that child who acknowledges a Father in heaven who loves him and nurtures him while he grows. Even when we are "working out our own salvation" we are not expected to do that without the guidance and loving hand of the Lord. We are born again...and have become the children of a God who is worthy of respect, honor, admiration, and love from His children who know they will always need Him. Children who want to obey Him and know that because He loves them, He corrects them and showers them with grace, grace and more grace. But we must always acknowledge it is through Him we live and move and have our being...apart from Him, we can do nothing.

"I need Thee, O, I need Thee. Every hour I need Thee. O bless me now my Saviour, I come to Thee."