The road to humility

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I have followed Jesus for 5 years. He has changed me considerably and I am grateful. Mostly I don't do what I once did. My behaviors and lifestyle have changed. For the last year I keep seeing my pride. I'm not talking about conceit. This is different. For example, if I'm feeling self concious, I know this is a form of pride because it's all about me and how I feel. This pride thing keeps popping up and I don't know what to do about it. I don't know how to change it. How does one become humble like Jesus?

I've met a few Christians who wear humility like a beautiful garment and I want that too. Does anyone have anything to share on this? Any insights or experiences themselves? I realize that we are all a work in progress and yes, I am trusting Jesus for His work in me but this just seems like a huge stumbling block that I can't get past.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Well I would say that recognizing a pride problem is a first step in conquering it.

A classic book which has stood the test of time is Andrew Murray's Humility, and I would encourage you to purchase and read through it.

I found this list somewhere online and saved it but don't remember who the author is - this is not an attempt at plagiarism. I hope it will help you in your pursuit of humility.

TWELVE WAYS TO HUMBLE YOURSELF

1. Routinely confess your sin to God. (Luke 18:9-14) All of us sin and fall short of the glory of God. However, too few of us have a routine practice of rigorous self-honesty examination. Weekly, even daily, review of our heart and behavior, coupled with confession to God, is an essential practice of humility.

2. Acknowledge your sin to others. (James 3:2, James 5:16) Humility before God is not complete unless there is also humility before man. A true test of our willingness to humble ourselves is being willing to share with others the weaknesses we confess to God. Wisdom, however, dictates that we do so with others that we trust.

3. Take wrong patiently. (1 Peter 3:8-17) This has been a difficult one for me. When something is unjust I want to react and rectify it. However, patiently responding to the unjust accusations and actions of others demonstrates our strength of godly character and provides an opportunity to put on humility.

4. Actively submit to authority

Smiles..thanks for your response. The great thing about the 12 steps is that it's something I can do. Number 2 will be the hardest for me. I'll look into the book. Perhaps worthy has it. I was reading about Moses today in Numbers 12 Would I ever like to be humble like him and I just love God's response to Aaron and Miriam. Thanks again :noidea:

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  05/12/1967

very helpful ...thank you

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

I think that humility is a big problem for many Christians. Me mostly. The 12 steps are very good, ~smiles~. Thank you for posting them.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

in my experience, if you sincerely want to improve in this area don't worry. God will take care of it! :39:

there will soon come a moment in time when that thing in you wells up and demands your way. at the same time the opportunity is there to stop and say "no, i'll do it your way".

or it will be a time when you feel you deserve some special attention or praise for something you did. at the same time the opportunity will be there to stop and say "no, i will instead point attention and praise to another".

the best thing to do is be ready to choose those second options. you will have taken a giant step :blink:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Hi There,

What a joy to see someone asking about humility. I came on to specifically suggest that you get Andrew Murray's book and was happy to see it already suggested. I read it some 30 years ago and it started me on a path that has done nothing but brought me nearer and nearer to God. The book will open some windows of understanding for you. For instance we have to do things to humble ourselves. But in the end it is God who will truly humble you. He will do for you what you cannot do for yourself. And it will be painful, but let me tell you that it will be worth it. So do all that you can to humble yourself and then trust God to destroy the root of pride for you. He will do it when you are ready.

God bless you as you walk this marvelous path.

Thank you for your advice and encouragement. I really must get that book. I have been reading about humility by using the concordance in the back of my Bible. I understand humble heart towards God is one that is obedient to Him, dependent on Him and trusting in Him.

I have been thinking about this for some time. I think that pride has different faces and is not always apparant. Most think of pride as someone who seeks the limelight and relishes praise. My pride has a different face. I care too much what others think of me. I will serve but am reluctant to be served. I pray for others but seldom seek prayer for myself. If we are called upon to speak up in church, I seldom do it even if I have something to say. I am self concious. I think about self too much. We are to esteem others better than ourselves and I don't do that or know how to do that. I read something that helped me to understand what this means..

"One day President Lincoln was told that one of his cabinet members, Edwin Stanton had called him a fool. Stanton was brilliant, stubborn and at times disrespectful. Lincoln humbly replied, "Well, if Stanton says I'm a fool, I guess I must be for Stanton is a wise man and is nearly always right in his decision."

I can often know the right choice and do it. This is a step in the right direction. But I want to be humble in heart and not just deed. I've prayed about this. God shows me my pride in thought and outlook. It seems to be ingrained in me. I have little hope of ever changing this cause it just seems to be woven right into my very being. I will get the book, I will read it and I will pray. What else can I do?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  50

The 12 steps are good. I memorized Philippians 2:1-11 a few years ago. Being able to call that passage up in my mind really helps me to stay mindful in the area of humility.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  2,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Andrew Murray urges us to study the life of Jesus, especially everything he did and said that was related to humility - and there is a lot. That makes sense to me, how better to learn of humility than from the one who lived it perfectly?