• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/17/1961

my goodness are you insane?!

GOSPEL REDUCTIONISM for the sake of being seeker friendly....

BEING "RELEVANT" and "keeping up with culture" and sacrificing obeying the word through it,

is an abomination.

makes me sick.

these kids dont need to feel comfortable and familiar... they need JESUS.

these kids dont need to be entertained... they need JESUS...

these kids dont need to be babysat... they need JESUS

these kids dont need more of the same thing that the world offers.. THEY NEED JESUS CHRIST!!!!

HE IS ENOUGH!

get to know Him, ask Him how to show people the truth, and you wont need to compromise what God's word says, to "reach people".

lets see, jesus didn't use anything to get his message across right??

He didn't feed 5000 people?

he didn't heal the sick?

lots of showmanship when you go around and blind people can see, lame can walk, shoot he even raised the dead! Now thats a attention getter you know!

No comparison, Brother. The Miracles that Jesus did were not done for entertainment or showmanship, but to show the Love and Power of God. I'm shocked you'd say this, or am I gullible enough to not see your joke?!?!?!?

Sure theres a comparison. The difference is they didn't have halo3 back then. Christ came around and performed miricles. That was a amazing thing back then. You can't tell me that the miricles being preformed didn't draw people to him! In fact the bible supports that, you had the fellow that was brought on a pallet they ripped the roof off to lower him into the room so christ could heal him. Then you had zacheus climbed a tree to see the christ, thenyou had the woman who sought him out cause she thought that just by touching the hem of his garment she might be healed.

miricles was the vehicle that drew people in to see him.

Today, its a bit more difficult to draw people in to see miricles don't you think?? Heck anyone can preform miricles nowdays, all ya need is a computer photoshop and a video graphics software and walla, you preform miricles! broadcast it out on the tube and you desensitize people to where they cannot distinguish miricles from hollywierd.

So yeah using another means to bring them in makes more sense than trying to convince them that their going to recieve a miricle.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  02/17/1961

has any of you folks that object to halo3 ever played halo3?? I mean your objecting to a m rating that was set by a politically correct society.

Its a video game folks, not real life!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

has any of you folks that object to halo3 ever played halo3?? I mean your objecting to a m rating that was set by a politically correct society.

I don't think the issue is so much WHAT video game is being played, but the fact that a video game is being used as a way to draw kids into the church.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

I don't recall objecting to the game itself. My son doesn't play it but he's only 13 and the game has an "m" rating for a reason. What I disagree with is using it as an evangelical tool.

This is off topic ( :emot-highfive: ) but I wrote a blog about a movie that I saw recently. I was able to see a story of redemption in it but I wouldn't advocate it being shown in church. Many (even most) wouldn't see it as such.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/07/1981

This will be my only off-topic post on this thread, but I am curious as to which movie... :emot-highfive:

This will be my only off-topic post on this thread, but I am curious as to which movie... :emot-crying:

I could be mean and tell you to read my blog. I won't do that though. The movie is "The Brave One". I thought I had put a link in my post but I see now that I didn't. The link is in my sig though.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Eli, you said,

Whats the difference between sunday services and monday/tues/wed/thurs/frid/saturday when Gods word is taught?? There is no difference from what i can see. sorry but i can't see any difference in a sunday service and anytime you teach the word of God

This is exactly what I am talking about. There are seven days in one week and twenty four hrs in one day. So what I am saying, if you want the kids to go to church and play games, there is no need to disrupt an ordinary sunday service when you have alternatives. Have your fun if that's what you go to church for, but don't try and mix it in with the normal sunday service. Have it after the formal service.

The miraculous healings that Jesus performed during his earthly ministry, were to demonsrate the authority and the power He was given by the Father. They wern't magic tricks used to entertain. Just spare a little thought for those who who go to church on sunday for the reason Christ established her for.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Maybe I missed something...

It seems like there are an awful lot of assumptions going on about the videogames and 'luring.' I don't think that the videogames are there to replace the service AT ALL. When I was in High School we would show up to SUnday Evening Bible Study (The high school youth group) at least 2 hours early most times. I played volleyball. Others played basketball. I think we may have even had a playstation (the original one) hooked up. Anyways....there were TONS of things to do. We fellowshipped and played and basically just hung out with other kids in a positive environment. I can tell you that most of us were constantly inviting friends to church. I'd usually tell 'em to come play some volleyball and hang out beforehand. It was a great tool and a great time. When I read the article about Halo 3, I envisioned much of the same type of thing.

It has nothing to do with 'not using the bible.' My bible and my testimony wasn't a secret to anybody...but a little ice-breaker never hurt. Quite frankly I don't know where anyone got the idea that this Halo 3 thing was anything more than a social gathering at church...not a replacement for church, or the bible, or testimony.

BTW...Sierra21...I went to bed last night...sorry to leave you hanging. I don't disagree with much of what you are stating "if" the videogames are somehow being used as a replacement tool. I don't think thats the case. So many kids have NO direction in life...and many more honestly don't even realize the dead-end path they are on. You'd be amazed at some of the things kids would ask a youth pastor at a social gathering once they feel comfortable. I remember one 6th grader who showed up to every function (he was a little punk kid) he had tons of fun...but he showed ZERO interest in my lesson plan. I could have gotten caught up in that and cancelled the "fun" portion of our time together just to try and focus more on the bible and the teaching. After about 6 meetings he came up to me and told me that he wanted to be a Christian and he said his mom needed Jesus too, and he asked if I would talk to her. For that...I wouldn't change a thing! (BTW...the story doesn't have a happy ending. No fault of mine...or the kid.)

The things that my kids bring to me don't suprise me anymore. They're even more bombarded with junk in the world than we are as adults. The thing I've noticed, however, is that they'd rather have the truth than any kind of video game. Of course we do concerts, hiking, mission trips, etc....It's fun and they all love coming but they know that their leaders aren't going to give them "lip service". I think if we look hard enough, we can find God in almost anything. That doesn't mean that it should be a church activity though.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  342
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

All I'm trying to get at is that we should not have to utilize secular employs as a way of drawing youth into the church.

Why not? Can't God use secular employs to do his will? How do you suggest getting kids interested in what God has to say that have never heard the bible? THey can't know about God and salvation unless they hear about it first. Their not going to come into a church seeking unless they have heard there is something else to seek. Use something their interested in, something they have heard about before, something they are familiar with to get their interest then introduce them to the bible.

Your never going to get a kid into a church by going up to them and saying come to church sunday. Their going to look at you like a calf looking at a new gate.

Sweetie, if you have never been able to invite a kid to church and have them say yes purely because they see something different in you that they want, then i would seriously consider looking into wether you actually have a relationship with God or not! They will come, when they see you are different.

If you read my other post you would see that I don't believe that videogames will ever truly "recruit" youth into the church. Those who are there to learn about God will learn about God and those who are there to play video games will play videogames. End of story. I think I've made this same statement about 3 times already...I don't think I could be more clear...

How do you know that those who come for video games only come for video games. Try going to one of the youth group events sometime and watch what goes on! You will be surprised. These kids come get into the game, then when you cut off the game, tell them lets get serious here and listen to the reason were all here, they settle down and get to business!

God uses anything to spread his word! Meet the needs of the people before spreading his word. This is a common theme in the bible. Jesus did it, so did the apostles!

No, God does not use anything to spread His word. If He uses unbiblical ways to spread His word than He is not a Holy God like He says that He is. And yes, Eliyahuw, i have seen, and played once, the halo 3 game, which is why i can safely say it is an abomination to bring into the church. The word says "thou shalt not kill"... not..."thou shalt not kill, but if its just a game, go for it, as long as it brings kids to Christ". LOL. how ridiculous.

when they cut off the game, yeh, kids listen to the message...wel.. half of them if your lucky. and they are getting a mixed message of what God is like. and some of them might "pray a prayer" that means nothing to them at all, totally insincere, but hey, they did it coz it sounded like a good idea at the time, and they go home thinking they are heaven bound, and keep on living life just like they did before the great "halo 3 encounter with God"

using the excuse "whatever brings them to church" is saying that you are willing to compromise the word of God and His commandments, just to draw people in. And if your getting people to come in through your own little tactics, then you are doing it in your own strength, and God will not honour it.

my goodness are you insane?!

GOSPEL REDUCTIONISM for the sake of being seeker friendly....

BEING "RELEVANT" and "keeping up with culture" and sacrificing obeying the word through it,

is an abomination.

makes me sick.

these kids dont need to feel comfortable and familiar... they need JESUS.

these kids dont need to be entertained... they need JESUS...

these kids dont need to be babysat... they need JESUS

these kids dont need more of the same thing that the world offers.. THEY NEED JESUS CHRIST!!!!

HE IS ENOUGH!

get to know Him, ask Him how to show people the truth, and you wont need to compromise what God's word says, to "reach people".

lets see, jesus didn't use anything to get his message across right??

He didn't feed 5000 people?

he didn't heal the sick?

lots of showmanship when you go around and blind people can see, lame can walk, shoot he even raised the dead! Now thats a attention getter you know!

No comparison, Brother. The Miracles that Jesus did were not done for entertainment or showmanship, but to show the Love and Power of God. I'm shocked you'd say this, or am I gullible enough to not see your joke?!?!?!?

Sure theres a comparison. The difference is they didn't have halo3 back then. Christ came around and performed miricles. That was a amazing thing back then. You can't tell me that the miricles being preformed didn't draw people to him! In fact the bible supports that, you had the fellow that was brought on a pallet they ripped the roof off to lower him into the room so christ could heal him. Then you had zacheus climbed a tree to see the christ, thenyou had the woman who sought him out cause she thought that just by touching the hem of his garment she might be healed.

miricles was the vehicle that drew people in to see him.

Today, its a bit more difficult to draw people in to see miricles don't you think?? Heck anyone can preform miricles nowdays, all ya need is a computer photoshop and a video graphics software and walla, you preform miricles! broadcast it out on the tube and you desensitize people to where they cannot distinguish miricles from hollywierd.

So yeah using another means to bring them in makes more sense than trying to convince them that their going to recieve a miricle.

Uhh...... convince them that they arent going to recieve a miracle?!?!?!?! where is your faith?! This is exactly the problem, people have stopped believing God, they think that He is like they are, and they doubt His word and How powerful He is. there is no reverence anymore. God is a God of miracles, a God of supernatural means, He can do above and beyond more than we could ask or think! HE IS GOD! you dont need to convince them they are going to recieve a miracle. Salvation, is the greatest miracle of all. The word says that it is the hugest miracle one could recieve in there lifetime! So when they come and hear the gospel, there is ample opportunity for miracles, every time. its called salvation... and only the Gospel, the Lord, can bring it. not little worldly ideals.