IGNORED

What day of the week should we go to church on?

P_Joseph

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  0

Another interesting point that seems to be missed.

The 7th day Sabbath is God's Holy day made for mankind at creation. Now who was it that created? It was the Word, Jesus. Thus it is His Holy Day also. Jesus Himself says that He created it for mankind Thus it is for whoever is part of mankind. It has always been such.

Isa 58:13 If you turn away your foot from the sabbath, from doing your pleasure on my holy day (Whose Holy Day? It is His Holy Day, made for all mankind, not the Jews); and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shall honor him (it is to honor Him), not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words:

58:14 Then shall you delight yourself in the LORD; and I will cause you to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father: for the mouth of the LORD has spoken it.

The Ten Commandments are the Law of God, written by His own finger, and placed in the ark, under the mercy seat where He dispensed forgiveness for sin, the breaking of those commandments. The Law of Moses was written by Moses, and placed in a pocket outside the Ark. Moses recorded the giving of the Ten Commandments in His writings, but only as part of the historical fact that God gave them and God's instructions regarding the. But only certain parts of the Law of Moses were changed, those haveing to do with the Sacrificial system. You can read of this change in Hebrews.

Here is what Paul told Timothy about the Law of Moses:

2ti 2:3 therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who has chosen him to be a soldier.

2:5 And if a man also strive for masteries (as a Soldier of Jesus), yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.

2ti 3:14 But continue in the things which you have learned and have been assured of, knowing of whom you have learned them;

3:15 And that from a child you have known the holy scriptures, which are able to make you wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

3:16 All scripture (this Scripture was the Old Testament, the Law of Moses and the Prophets, there was no New Testament at this time)is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

So here we have Paul, who many accuse of doing away with the Law of Moses, instructing Timothy that the Law and the prohpets are to be used for doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction in righteousness. This is how the Jewish and Gentile converts would become thoroughly furnished in all good works for as Paul says there is no difference between then in Christ. Paul himself until his death, continued to keep the Sabbath and instructed the Gentile converts to do the same. This is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt in the book of Acts which I demonstrated in an earlier post.

In fact history documents that Sunday observance did not begin until the late 2nd century, and that only in Rome until the time of Constantine. It was borrowed from the Roman Pagans in order to build up the Roman church so she could usurp power over all professing christians as the 'holy (unholy) roman empire'.

Now as to the Ten Commandments, why did God write them down? Paul tells us that also:

Ga 3:19 Why the law? It was added (written by the finger of God) because of transgressions (what transgressions? If the law had not existed prior to this, there could have been no transgressions prior to this. God now writes His Law, which has always existed, on tables of stone to identify that which has been sin from the beginning), till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

3:20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.

3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

The Law could not give then life, for it condemned to death. They were under the condemnation of the law for they had not kept it. Life had to come through Jesus. In the New Covenant He writes God's laws in the heart of the believer. The believer now keeps God's laws because He loves God, not because the law threatens him with death. He is no longer under the condemnation of the law anymore for he loves it.

Here is Paul again:

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh (by breaking God's commandments), but after the Spirit.

8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and (condemnation of) death.

8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit (that same spirit that writes the law of God in the heart of all believers).

8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8:8 So then they that are in the flesh (not subject of the Law of God) cannot please God.

8:9 But you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you (who writes the law in your heart so you can be subject to His law). Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Those who say that the Law of Moses was done away with are saying that the Old testament was done away with which is in complete contradiction with what Paul told Timothy, and also in complete contradiction with the words of Jesus. Paul was no Hypocrite. He knew that the only way to get out from under the condemnation of the law, was to have it written in the heart so that one would be subject to it, or to have the Holy Spirit give us a love for the law of God, not just in the 'thou shalt nots', but in the pro-active doing of righteousness and holiness, living the Christ like life here and now on planet earth.

I have a hard time understanding those who say we don't need to keep the law of God, and then argue that there is no direct command in the New Testament to do so. If there were, you would be back under law. The Christian needs no law with its threatening of death to do God's will, for He loves God with all his heart, mind, soul and strength and thus loves his word and will, and then loves his neighbor as himself, and the keeping of all the law and prophets hang or depend on this.

God bless,

Dennis

Shalom Dennis,

EXCELLENT POST! Amen!!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

The Apostle Paul clearly & distinctly states in Colossians 2:14-17 (especially Verse 16b) that the Jewish seveth-day Sabbaths were long ago "nailed to His cross" along with regulations re food, drink, Jewish feast days, Jewish new moons or any Jewish Sabbath day? Zowie, if the Jewish seventh-day Sabbath has been "nailed to His cross," - which sounds quite final - why in all the universe is this kind lady imploring folk anywhere to UNnail it & bring it back down? WHO could possibly UNnail it? Excellent query. Why insist on flying carelessly in the face of biblical realism as emphasized by the Apostle? Methinks the lady is behind the curve here by about 1900-years. And, yes, the Lord God of Israel DOES have a full Name to be recognized by the entire Church of the Lord Jesus Christ: Jehovah, Elohim, Adonai & quite a few others as well. AMEN & AMEN!

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

I think it depends on whether you think God's gift of a Sabbath rest is an ordinance or not.

The Apostle Paul clearly & distinctly states in Colossians 2:14-17 (especially Verse 16b) that the Jewish seveth-day Sabbaths were long ago "nailed to His cross" along with regulations re food, drink, Jewish feast days, Jewish new moons or any Jewish Sabbath day?

Shalom Arthur,

Not at all. The 7th day Sabbath was never rescinded. No place in Scripture, ever.

And, let us read Colossians 2:14 together, shall we? Only, let's go back to the beginning of the verse which explains that it was not the Sabbath that was nailed to the Cross, but our SINS. Our trespasses, our debt under the Law. This is what the Bible says.

13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.

If we're going to discuss this rationally and maturely, we must use Scripture correctly, not take Scripture out of context to try to make it support opinion. The verse does not say anyplace that the Sabbath was nailed to the Cross! Yeshua observed the Sabbath, as did the disciples. He nailed our debt to the Cross, caused by our sin. That's what it says.

Zowie, if the Jewish seventh-day Sabbath has been "nailed to His cross,"...<snip>

The Sabbath of G-d has never been "nailed to the Cross", that is an incorrect statement.

You see, G-d INSTITUTED the Sabbath at Creation and called the day "holy." He has never changed that, anyplace in Scripture.

Genesis 2

1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. 3 So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.

You see, G-d and G-d alone blessed the 7th day and made it holy. That is not a Jewish thing or a Law thing, but a G-d-thing. And, He never changed it.

- which sounds quite final - why in all the universe is this kind lady imploring folk anywhere to UNnail it & bring it back down?

Ummm, where do you see me "imploring" ANYONE to observe the Sabbath? Please, find one post where I have done this.

WHO could possibly UNnail it? Excellent query.

Well, since the Sabbath was not what was nailed to the Cross, this query is moot.

Methinks the lady is behind the curve here by about 1900-years.

Yes, I agree. The "curve" is man's attempt to have their own way instead of G-d's. The "church" has tried to ignore Scripture and G-d's institution of the Sabbath. I have no desire to follow man, but I choose to follow G-d. I'll stay far behind the "church" curve any day and choose G-d's ways.

And, yes, the Lord God of Israel DOES have a full Name to be recognized by the entire Church of the Lord Jesus Christ: Jehovah, Elohim, Adonai & quite a few others as well. AMEN & AMEN!

First off, Jehovah is not a correct name, it is a mistranslation. Read for yourself:

http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Scriptures/ww...ompare/name.htm

A footnote on page 112 of The Dartmouth Bible states that "Jehovah" is now seen to have been the result of a curious misunderstanding. Jews after the fourth century B.C., considering the four-consonant name [JHVH] too sacred to be uttered except on the most solemn occasion, regularly substituted for it "Adonai," meaning "the Lord." In Hebrew texts the points indicating the vowels of "Adonai" accompany the JHVH as a reminder to make the substitution in oral reading. Early English translators, ignorant of the Hebrew practice, accepted these points as the correct vowels and thus, erroneously, wrote the word as JeHoVaH.

The dictionary/concordance at the back of the New Revised Standard Version has Tetragrammaton as the four letters YHWH, which form the sacred name of God. Whenever the words "LORD" and "GOD" appear in large and small capital letters in the OT, the original Hebrew text uses YHWH. Sometimes the tetragrammaton is rendered as "Yahweh" or "Jehovah."

The name "Jehovah" was formed by placing the vowel points for Adonai into the Tetragrammaton, YHVH. There is a common belief that the four letters forming the name of our Heavenly Father are consonants. Josephus, a Jewish priest, in his Wars of the Jews (V.5.vii), states that on a golden crown of the priests was engraven the sacred name [of God], consisting of four vowels. As in English, the letters W and Y are semi-vowels. The V in the Tetragrammaton has the sound of a W. Vowels can stand alone, whereas consonants cannot. This caused Hebrew vowel sounds to be added erroneously for pronunciation. If the Spanish vowels IAUE are substituted, an almost identical pronunciation for YHVH is achieved. Therefore YHVH becomes Yahweh, and can be pronounced.

Does it matter if a Hebrew name is Anglicized? Can it really be done? Is it like Giovanni, Ivan, Ja

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

But as Arther has pointed out we still have to deal with passages such as this from Collasions and basically the whole book of Galations.

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you[c] alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.[d]

16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize.

Shalom,

This Scripturally refutes the arguments posted here. It is an excellent article.

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Scripture...fourth_cmd.html

Shabbat begins at sunset on Friday evening and ends Saturday night when three stars are visible in the sky (25 hours). On Shabbat we remember that God created the world and then rested from His labors.

The commandment to observe the Sabbath comes from the Fourth Commandment, of course, which actually spans three pesukim (verses) and is by far the longest of the Ten Commandments. In its entirety the commandment reads:

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Ex 20:8-11)

The Meaning of Shabbat

The word shabbat ("Sabbath") is clearly connected to the verb shavat, meaning "to cease, desist, rest." The root first appears in Genesis 2:2-3 regarding God

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

But as Arther has pointed out we still have to deal with passages such as this from Collasions and basically the whole book of Galations.

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you[c] alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.[d]

16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize.

I will admit to not having all of this figured out (a confusing combination of my "raising" and what I believe to be a newfound freedom in Christ) but I have never viewed the Sabbath, at it's heart, as a regulation or code, but as a gift and a celebration.

I do sincerely read the posts in this thread trying to comprehend and understand both sides. Where I think it gets confusing is that there are as many individual viewpoints going on for not celebrating the Sabbath as there are reasons and viewpoints for keeping the Sabbath rest.

I will continue to read and pray and ask the Holy Spirit to unveil the answers to me. I will say it is so much easier when (like today!) things don't take a personal direction against the posters, and I thank you all for getting that back on direction :wub:

I will admit to not having all of this figured out (a confusing combination of my "raising" and what I believe to be a newfound freedom in Christ) but I have never viewed the Sabbath, at it's heart, as a regulation or code, but as a gift and a celebration.

I do sincerely read the posts in this thread trying to comprehend and understand both sides. Where I think it gets confusing is that there are as many individual viewpoints going on for not celebrating the Sabbath as there are reasons and viewpoints for keeping the Sabbath rest.

I will continue to read and pray and ask the Holy Spirit to unveil the answers to me. I will say it is so much easier when (like today!) things don't take a personal direction against the posters, and I thank you all for getting that back on direction :wub:

Shalom Anne,

Lovely post!!

The bottom line is that you, as a Believer in Yeshua Jesus, have the FREEDOM and HONOR to celebrate and observe the Sabbath because it is G-d's institution. It is not a requirement, but it is G-d's Word.

And "let no one judge you" means that according to Scriptures, NO ONE has the right to tell you that observing the Sabbath as unto the L-rd is wrong or criticize why or how you observe the Sabbath for you are doing it to G-d, not man. No one has the right to judge you!

Enjoy your freedom and enjoy the Sabbath if you desire to observe it in Yeshua, it is a wonderful experience and it is very freeing and can be so meaningful in our relationship with our King!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Sheesh! You folks sure enjoy tit for tatting! :wacko:

Think how much time that's wasted arguing could be spent to help & love others... :emot-hug:

The way some religious people act, we'ed spend every waking moment praying!

Sheesh! You folks sure enjoy tit for tatting! :24:

Think how much time that's wasted arguing could be spent to help & love others... :wacko:

The way some religious people act, we'ed spend every waking moment praying!

Shalom Brother,

I see you are new to Worthy. Hey, have you read the Guidelines or the vision for this board?

By the way, in case you aren't aware (in all sincerity, not sarcastic), this is a DISCUSSION board. It is also a ministry.

And "us folks" learn and grow and help people and strive to live and love as Yeshua taught us.

Jes' hang around some and relax and have a good time! :emot-hug:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

...the Sabbath was a Sinai Covenant command ONLY, it did NOT exist as a Command BEFORE or AFTER the Old Covenant Period.

Before Sinai.

When God created man on the sixth day, he would have then been a witness to God's declaration of the seventh day rest.

The very fact that Cain and Abel made offerings to Yahweh, is clear proof that they were aware of God's laws and commands....which would have doubtless included the seventh day rest.

Abraham also lived by faith, but he too kept the law.

Genesis 26:5 because Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my COMMANDMENTS, my STATUTES, and my LAWS."

Exodus 16:4 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Behold, I am about to rain bread from heaven for you, and the people shall go out and gather a day’s portion every day, that I may test them, whether they will walk in my law or not. 5 On the sixth day, when they prepare what they bring in, it will be twice as much as they gather daily."

23 he said to them, "This is what the LORD has commanded: 'Tomorrow is a day of solemn rest, a holy Sabbath to YHWH; bake what you will bake and boil what you will boil, and all that is left over lay aside to be kept till the morning.'" 24 So they laid it aside till the morning, as Moses commanded them, and it did not stink, and there were no worms in it. 25 Moses said, "Eat it today, for today is a Sabbath to the LORD; today you will not find it in the field. 26 Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, which is a Sabbath, there will be none."

PR