IGNORED

What day of the week should we go to church on?

P_Joseph

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  444
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/29/1966

A person i have been having some conversations with told me i was not a true Christian because i worship on Sundays and Wensdays. To tell the truth I worship Him everyday. But this guy is very persist and said we should worship on Saturdays because God made that day holy PLEASE help me out :emot-highfive::laugh: yours in Christ joe JHN3:30

Edited by preacherJoseph

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

The Law was given to the Israelites. They were told to "Remember the Sabbath to keep it Holy" when God gave the Ten Commandments. When Christ came, He fulfilled the Law and the Prophets.

Paul dealt with this problem in his letter to the Colossians: "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body [is] of Christ." Col 2:16-17

After Christ arose, the Christians began to meet on the first day of the week "And upon the first [day] of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight." Acts 20:7 and that is when they were to lay up in store "Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as [God] hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. 1 Cor 16:2

As Christians we are no longer under the Law, but we are to fellowship with each other. Every day should be a day of worship, but we are not obliged to keep the Sabbath. In reality, even those who say that worship should be on the Sabbath don't keep it. There are many, many rules regarding the Sabbath that go beyond the idea of going to church. For instance they were not to make anyone else work, but if you stop into a store to grab a soda you have just broken the Sabbath. If you light a fire (turn on the heat) you have just broken the Sabbath. And on it goes.

It is important to worship and it is important to rest. After all, that is what God said the Sabbath was for --- a day of rest.

<>< ><>

Nathele

Guest Greg Davies

Hallelujah!

All the preceeding post are great. The only thing I would add is that Jesus is our rest. We are now to do the works of God and cease from our own works.

Jesus is our eternal rest or Sabbath. The Sabbath is no longer a "day" but a relationship. It's a spiritual reality not an external ordinance.

Just like Jesus raised the bar on murder and adultery, i.e. hate and lust, so the bar has been raised on the day of rest. Now it is to be 24/7. As it says in Psalm 37:7 NLT "Be still (rest) in the presence of the Lord and wait patiently for Him to act".

God bless, Greg.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Mark 2:27

And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Luke 6:5

And he said unto them, The Son of man is lord of the sabbath.

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul discoursed with them, intending to depart on the morrow; and prolonged his speech until midnight.

John 20:19

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!"

20:26

A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!"

1 Corinthians 16:2

On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

They would have been put to death if they met on the last day of the week.

JB

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Tell those Pharisees to take a hike.

The command to rest on the Sabbath is never given to Christians, either by Jesus or by the writers of the Christian Scriptures.

Anyways, the real Sabbath is Friday evening to Saturday evening, not all day Saturday. :emot-wave:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I wonder what your friend would tell a firefighter, policeman, nurse or any other person required to work on saturday.

Pick one day out of seven to celebrate your sabbath. Refrain from the world on that day, worship and fellowship with other christians and rest yourself from worldly troubles.

Yashua came to fullfill a prophecy and make God's Grace available to us.

Stay calm and know that God is in charge.

Shalom

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

A person i have been having some conversations with told me i was not a true Christian because i worship on Sundays and Wensdays. To tell the truth I worship Him everyday. But this guy is very persist and said we should worship on Saturdays because God made that day holy PLEASE help me out :thumbsup::thumbsup: yours in Christ joe JHN3:30

Shalom Brother and welcome to Worthy!

First off, your friend is incorrect. One's salvation is not determined by what day they attend church. That teaching is a false teaching and not found in the Bible. That is a sign of a cult, BTW, that our salvation is based upon outward works.

But, there is a lot to know about the Sabbath, so let's look at it.

Yes, the Sabbath day (which is Friday night at sundown to Saturday night at sundown) IS a holy day, decreed by G-d.

Genesis 2: 1-3

1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2 And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. 3 So God blessed the 4seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.

So, you see, the 7th day (which is Friday night to Saturday night) IS the Sabbath and it IS holy. It has never been changed by G-d, so the Sabbath remains as the Sabbath and it is holy. The Scriptures are indisputable. Anyone who says otherwise is not correctly reading Scripture.

However, what man decrees as HOW to observe the Sabbath is where we run into problems in the church. Your friend is not correct in the assertion that ONLY Saturday church is acceptable. That is not what it says plainly in the New Testament.

We need to examine Scripturally this whole Sabbath issue and separate the questions and the arguments from the incorrect assumptions, for there is some confusion in the church as to what this is all about.

First off, the Sabbath was given AT CREATION and people who tell you it is the Law and was "only given to the Jews" are not understanding the truth of the issue. You see, the Creation came before the Law of Moses. Also, as it says in Galatians, if Gentiles (non-Jews) belong to Messiah Jesus, they are the sons of Abraham.

Galatians 3: 29 And if you are Christ

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

I always enjoy and learn from your posts, Vickilynn :13:

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  445
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  06/03/1974

Speaking of what day we should go to church does anyone know where the idea to go to Church on Wed. came from??

I was never told we must go to church on Sunday or Wednesday we just always did because everyonelse did so as well.

I haven't been a member of a church in many years now or at least a physical church as in a building. I praise my God every chance I get throughout the week though and do my bible studies online and get my fellowship through this site.