IGNORED

What day of the week should we go to church on?

P_Joseph

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I feel any place can be a church when good people gather together to Pray.

I'm bed ridden & have no way to goto church BUT!, I feel my home can be a church on not just Sunday, but any day.

Here is a blog I read... It's not mine - so if you disagree, you're not disagreeing with me!! But it's not bad

Saturday Or Sunday... Why is that the question?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Here is a blog I read... It's not mine - so if you disagree, you're not disagreeing with me!! But it's not bad

Saturday Or Sunday... Why is that the question?

pastorcraigsblog: The commandment in Exodus 20:8-11 states that the seventh day of the week, which is Saturday, is the day which the Lord instructed as the day of rest and worship. However in the New Testament we see the church worshiped on Sunday. So what gives?

I have never seen any verse in the NT that proves the first century believers ever worshipped on Sunday.

I posted earlier in this thread re: the eight scriptures in the NT that the first (day) of the week is mentioned.

(post #34...rather than posting it again)

(mentioned in the blog)

Romans 14:5-6 "One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and HE WHO EATS, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and HE WHO EATS NOT, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God."

Verses 5 and 6 speak of days of observance. The issue here has nothing to do with the Sabbath but rather, the question being posed is "to eat or not to eat".

Not only were some weak converts afraid of eating meat offered to idols, but others customarily abstained from a particular food. They observed a type of fast on certain days, in a similar way that Catholics abstain from meat on Friday. Others regarded all days alike as far as eating was concerned.

(mentioned in the blog)

Colossians 2:16-17: "Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day-things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ."

Paul was writing to the Gentiles in Colosse, who had turned from a heathen religion and keeping their pagan ways to faithfully follow Yeshua. He was urging and encouraging them to stay strong and pure in their faith, and not hold onto the influences of the paganistic, man-made traditions that dominated their society.

We should be sure scripture is read in context with its surrounding verses.

It is also benefical to understand the customs of the times and to know a little of the history behind what was being written...why it was being written, and to whom it was being addressed.

PR

Edited by PreciousRubi

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

preacherjoseph, who ever it was that told you this is ridiculous it doesn't matter what day you go to church.True ''the sabboth'' is saturday actually friday from sundown until saturday at sundown but what day you go to church does not determain your heart towards God.Those that say sunday is now the sabboth are breaking the 4th commandment as they are not remembering the true sabboth but trying to replace it with another day.But what day you attend church service is your choice .God never said go to church on the sabboth and no other day,that is completely obserd.

If Saturday is the Sabbath, why would anyone want to go to church on another day? What would be the point?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

God has only made one day Holy, and that is His Holy Sabbath day. What God makes Holy, remains Holy forever. Man cannot change God's Holy Day into a common day. He may think that he can, but he only fools himself. As the Scripture says:

Pro 16:25 There is a way that seems right to a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death

Adam and Eve had to learn this the hard way.

It is His Holy Day, made holy for all mankind at creation. A Holy day is a full day set aside for holy pursuits. Worship and instruction in righteousness and holiness from the Scriptures are part of those pursuits.

It is strange to see 'professed children of God' defending the day of worship that the Pagan Sun worshipers have held sacred since the days of Ancient Babylon and denigrating God's Holy Day. Something is wrong with this picture.

Yes we are supposed to be holy everyday and worship God in Spirit and truth every day, but that does not do away with God's Holy Day of Worship. On God's Holy day man is to cease from all secular pursuits and devote the entire day to communion with Him. That does not happen the other 6 days for they are for secular labor. Yes we are to be holy during that 6 days of labor, but that does not substitute for our day of communion with God on His Holy Day.

You see it is really a matter of obedience, as is was for Adam and Eve in the Garden. We can do as they did and disregard the command of God because it makes no sense to our human reason, or we can follow God in obedience. It didn't make any sense that God should forbid them to eat of one tree. They could come up with better arguments than what has been presented here, but still in the end, the wages of sin is death. There is no salvation in disobedience, no matter how slick our human wisdom. God will not judge us by our own wisdom, but by His word and especially His Commandments.

There are many 'good christians' who are deceived on this point or other points, and that does not make them 'bad christians', but when light and truth come, illuminating the darkness, the 'good Christians' come to the light and cast off the works of darkness.

God Bless,

Dennis

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

We should worship everyday in my opinion that is what the congregations in Acts did. But worship is not directly related to observing a Sabbath, which would require no driving or work at all, including any food preparation cleaning etc. If we are going to observe the Saturday Sabbath as it was originally intended and set forth in the Torah, we should of course really observe it, otherwise it is a hypocritical facade. Just choosing Saturday and going to church on Saturday is NOT observing the Sabbath.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

If Saturday is the Sabbath, why would anyone want to go to church on another day? What would be the point?

Shalom Kat,

The Sabbath is a day of REST.

We celebrate the Sabbath from Friday night to Saturday night (a biblical day) and then we go to church on Sunday to meet with the saints and to grow in G-d's Word and to serve others. Also, the NT shows that the early church met on Sundays and every other day.

So, going to church on Sundays (or any other day) is perfectly acceptable, but in no way replaces or negates the Biblical Sabbath, which is the 7th day.

We should worship everyday in my opinion that is what the congregations in Acts did. But worship is not directly related to observing a Sabbath, which would require no driving or work at all, including any food preparation cleaning etc. If we are going to observe the Saturday Sabbath as it was originally intended and set forth in the Torah, we should of course really observe it, otherwise it is a hypocritical facade. Just choosing Saturday and going to church on Saturday is NOT observing the Sabbath.

Shalom Smalcald,

Nowhere in the Scriptures does it say that we should not drive anyplace or do anything else on the Sabbath. Those are the Rabbinical rules, not the Scriptural commands. We should not do our "common" (everyday) work. But rather set aside the Sabbath to rest in Jesus.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Shalom Smalcald,

Nowhere in the Scriptures does it say that we should not drive anyplace or do anything else on the Sabbath. Those are the Rabbinical rules, not the Scriptural commands. We should not do our "common" (everyday) work. But rather set aside the Sabbath to rest in Jesus.

Hi Vicki, I will look but I think there is indeed scripture against travel and all work; it would depend on how scrupulous you wanted to be I guess. But it would seem that if we are really going to observe the Sabbath we should look to the Orthodox Jews to learn how to do that correctly.

I just think that we sometimes get confused between a day to worship and observing the Sabbath. The two are not really related. Over the centuries Christians have mistakenly said that Sunday is "our" Sabbath, and we go to Church on Sunday so we start thinking that they are totally equal.

To me if you go to Church on Saturday and then go to work and maybe hang out with your family, shop etc, like a normal Saturday which you have off, you are not observing the Sabbath in the least. The fact is we should go to Church and worship every day just as the first congregations did. In fact Catholics and Eastern Orthodox often do that and I always thought that was a good idea.

If we are going to be rules based we should follow those rules. If the day really is important and the Sabbath really is important than we should really observe the Sabbath, why take half measures? It would seem to me by once again making up what WE deem should happen on the Sabbath we are making the same mistake as those who claim going to Church on Sunday has anything to do with Sabbath observance. I don't think we get a choice in how to observe the Sabbath, just like we should not get a choice in how to observe God's dietary laws, both are spelled out. If we are going to subject ourselves to these rules don't you think we should follow them? Where is a scripture that says we are to set aside the Sabbath to rest in Jesus?

Hi Vicki, I will look but I think there is indeed scripture against travel and all work; it would depend on how scrupulous you wanted to be I guess. But it would seem that if we are really going to observe the Sabbath we should look to the Orthodox Jews to learn how to do that correctly.

Shalom Smalcald,

No, I disagree. Man's way is not "correct", only G-d's way is.

It is wrong to add to Scripture and add burdens of men. G-d's way is right, all the time.

Where is a scripture that says we are to set aside the Sabbath to rest in Jesus?

Shalom Smalcald,

Hebrews 4

1Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. 2For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. 3For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said,

"As I swore in my wrath,'They shall not enter my rest,'"

although his works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works." 5And again in this passage he said,

"They shall not enter my rest."

6Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, 7again he appoints a certain day, "Today," saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted,

"Today, if you hear his voice,do not harden your hearts."

8For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on. 9So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, 10for whoever has entered God