IGNORED

What day of the week should we go to church on?

P_Joseph

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Is the command to be circumcised in scripture or not? Is the command to not eat pork and shellfish in scripture or not?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I wouldn't eat pork or shellfish anyway. It's gross! In fact, everything God said not to eat I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, regardless. Shrimp and catfish are probably the 2 most horrible things I've ever tasted.

I can't eat pork because even if it's cooked well, I don't want to eat dead worms either.

God knew what He was doing when He said not to eat them. They are the things that cause the most illnesses. And I know someone is going to bring up the text about all food being clean and other texts, but the fact remains that people still get these illnesses from eating these meats.

It turns my stomach to think about eating such things.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Is the command to be circumcised in scripture or not? Is the command to not eat pork and shellfish in scripture or not?

It is not part of the Royal Law, the Ten Commandments, which were placed within the Ark, which as Paul says are holy just and good because they Identify sin.

God bless,

Dennis

Where does scripture say that specifically? I realize that Christ said that we have two commandments that all others hang on, what about specifically how to make a Sabbath day Holy how to actually observe a Sabbath? Do we get to just kind of decide what that is? Maybe some people will observe the Sabbath by rooting for their favorite college football team? It would seem to me if you want to keep the Sabbath as the religious Jew's have been doing then you should do it as they do it they know how to keep it holy, how to do this is also contained in Exodus it IS biblically defined. If people are going to really observe the Saturday Sabbath I hope you are really doing what the commandment says: No work, you cannot employ people on Saturday or cause anyone else to work. I mean I say hats of if you really want to do it. But I think it is not good to simply play around with pretending to follow the true Sabbath observance as laid out to the Jewish people in Exodus thousands of years ago. Once again are we changing things to meet our needs?

It seems kind of arrogant to say you know more about how to keep a Jewish Sabbath, which is what Saturday is, than an Orthodox Rabbi. Not even going into the specifics given in Exodus, just looking at the commandment itself:

10But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

So, we see here you should not work at all on the Sabbath, and your children should be commanded not to work either, and you should not employ anybody on the Sabbath.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

Not being Jewish, I don't concern myself with specific dietary laws given specifically to one nation, Israel. Nor do I follow thru on the Mosaic law to worship Jehovah in the Jewish Sanctuary & later, the Holy Temple in the capital city of Jerusalem. Eating or not eating certain foods is not a part of my everlasting salvation in & thru the world's only Savior, Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. Certain foods may indeed be beneficial; others not so beneficial. None make my everlasting salvation or walk with God hinge on them.

http://arthurdurnan.freewill.com

To me we either should do it or not. I don't, becuase like you Arthur I am fully convinced in my mind that Paul in Galations was speaking directly to us gentiles when he said:

From Galations

14But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

9But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? 10Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Here He speaks of Christ being in Himself our true Sabbath as believers.

Hebrews 4

1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

The First Day, Sunday, is the Day of the glorious RESURRECTION of our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ! The disciples automatically began the New Covenant by worshipping their resurrected Lord on the momentous day of His victory over hell & the grave. No more Mosaic ritual for them now. No more Jewish Sabbatarianism when the Messiah had come, conquered & liberated for time & eternity! Isn't it most significant that for all the centuries before the 19th-century & the tenets of one, Ellen Gould Harmon White (founder of SDAism), Sabbatarianism was well left back in Judaism, and Christians were celebrating the Lord's glorious First Day of Newness & Eternal Joy! AMEN & AMEN! Now, in Christ Jesus, it's never "Let's go BACKWARDS to Moses", but always "Let's go FORWARD & UPWARD to the Lord Jesus!"

You forget one thing....Jesus was a Jew....A Jew who kept the Law perfectly (including the Sabbath).

What does Yeshua (Jesus) mean when He says:

John 15:10

If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.

and why did Paul say in:

Romans 7:12

So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

and John:

1 John 5:3

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.

and

Revelation 14:12

Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

Why too, would Yeshua (Jesus) tell us in

Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

only to allow those who followed Him to discard that very Law that he came to fulfill.

Take a close look at Isaiah's prophecy of the coming Messiah...

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities;

upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have GONE ASTRAY; WE HAVE TURNED—EVERY ONE—TO HIS OWN WAY;

and YHWH has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

He did not come to nullify, but to clarify the Law and to reaffirm it.

The Sabbath was instituted by God the Father at creation....and in rememberance of His creation.

Exodus 20:11 For in six days YHWH made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore YHWH blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

PR

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Preciousruby,Going to church on sunday does not stop you from remembering the sabboth and keeping it holy,which I believe we should do.But there is no reason to not attend church on sunday.

But isn;''t that like having 2 Sabbaths a week? I'd think, whatever day you keep, if you spend the day resting in the Lord, you'd want to be in church, hearing His word, being with other Christians, and keeping the whole day holy.

But why then did Christ work on the Sabbath? He is the Lord of the Sabbath, and from Hebrews we know that He is our Sabbath. Scripture tells us that gentiles do not have to eat as the Jewish dietary laws say, these laws were given by a command of God, nor do we have to be circumcised another command given by God directly to the Jews. So if we are to follow the Law to the dot as you imply I hope you are doing everything an Orthodox Jew does, I hope you are living totally kosher. If someone wants to really follow these laws then they should do it, what I don't like is the playing around with the law. Gentiles who pick and choose which Law's are convenient for them and then making this as somehow pleasing to God. If the Sabbath is a command that is to be obeyed in the same way that we are to obey the command not to steal, then if you do work on Saturday you are no better than a thief, in fact you are an unrepentant thief because you know the law and do not keep it. Yet no Christians are really willing to say that.

So what is going on? Well the laws, do not touch, do not taste, celebrate this full moon this Sabbath etc, are not of the heart and are not helpful against the flesh, they were however given as holy commands to the Jewish nation to separate them from the heathens which they lived among.

What does Matthew say though? It says Christ is the fulfillment of the law. Really I can't believe anyone who has read Galatians would seek to bind themselves again with these yokes of bondage. Paul calls them weak beggarly elements. We have Christ who has fulfilled the law; we are to walk in the Spirit now. But how do we do that? Well Paul clearly lays it out,

14For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

15But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

16This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

26Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Exodus 20:8 "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it HOLY. 9 Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a SABBATH TO THE LORD YOUR GOD. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates.

HOLY: Kodesh (Hebrew) = Set apart

The sabbath day law was designed to commemorate the seventh day of the creation week.

11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

If God blessed the seventh day (Sabbath) and set it apart (made holy), what then gives man the right to set it aside and discard it?

If we are partakers in the New Covenant, we are told that God's laws are now written in our hearts and in our minds.

Worship God every day if you wish, for as true believers, we should place God 'first' in our lives before all things....but do not mock God by replacing His laws, with our own.

PR

Shalom,

Amen. Well-said.