• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/27/1964

mike, i have a couple of comments and questions for you.

i agree with what you said, for the most part. the anonymity thing, the comfort zone of not being asked to do anything. now here's my question pertaining to that.... how does a person grow spiritually in that sort of environment? if they're never asked to serve in a way that may make them nervous?

i kinda think that mega-churches are great seed planters... but not very good cultivators or harvesters. JMO.

ok, one more thing... you said from a pastor's perspective, there's not a difference. i'd like to ask you to dig a little deeper into that one... true, the same amount of dedication to sermon preparation and delivery is given, etc., but since you've pastored large and small churches, let me ask you to compare the ease and ability of how you were able to provide individual care, shepherding, and pastoral counsel to the members of those churches...

when pastor dean first came to grapevine he didn't really want to pastor the church his father had formerly resided over. but when his dad died, he felt that God was pushing him to make himself available to grapevine, and he did so reluctantly. the church at that time had three sunday services, with about 500 attendees per service. he said God had asked him to give it one year, and he did. almost exactly one year later, the building burned down. the congregation scattered across the valley. what was left was a very small congregation. that was ten years ago.

if you ask him if he ever wants grapevine to be that big again, he'll tell you that he would like to see the church grow, but that he personally likes the advantages he has with having a small congregation. i don't know what our membership is, but i'd guess at the outside, maybe a hundred max regularly attend... and that's combining both services. having pastored this church in its former days of "glory" (i use that term loosely) AND as it currently stands, he admits to preferring it this way because he really does get to know each person, and their children, in a way that he never could when the church was big. he knows each person's struggle with sin, with addiction, with grief, and he knows each person's spiritual growth, their joys, their celebrations... and he's able to lift them all up in prayer on a daily basis.

so, could you share a comparison with us of your experiences in that sense?

What attracts a certain type of person to a mega church is the very fact of anonymity; they don't want to be involved in anything, they just want to go to church. I am not saying that's a bad thing or a good thing, I am stating that to be fact. Some people just don't want to be involved or noticed, and that's next to impossible in a small church. I believe that some people can grow spiritually in that environment, but eventually as they mature they will want to become involved. It's the very nature of Christianity to be active in the faith.

The last large church I pastored was pushing 1,000 members. Of course, it was a multi-staff organization and I was the senior pastor. I had almost no contact with most members. Visitation was done by deacons and elders, with some exceptions. As senior pastor, it was expected that I would preach three times on a Sunday and teach a Bible study twice during the week, and of course, attend various church functions. My days were filled with committee meetings, some counseling and mostly sermon preparation and writing.

We had (and I guess they still do) a very active small group ministry, but they met at the church all week long. We discouraged the "home meetings" because I have always found those types of groups to be breeding grounds for gossip and the like. So we had a weekly singles group, youth group, children's group, men's group, women's group, a group for divorced people, for business professionals, for mothers, a group for college athletes, etc. When I left, we had 19 strong, active groups in the church.

In my present church, which has a membership of under 100, it's quite different, yet the same. Since almost all the members attend the Sunday service, I don't do very much visitation, unless it is requested or a member is sick or shut in or there is a special circumstance. I preach once on a Sunday now, but still take most of the week preparing the sermon and the mid week Bible study. We also teach a seminary class one evening a week and it takes time to prepare those lectures, grade exams, etc. I also have a busy counseling practice, which I run out of the church and view as a ministry of the church. Most of the members are under 50, professionals, many with children, and quite busy. We have more lawyers in this congregation than some small towns have in the phone book. This means that we have more money than you can shake a stick at, but almost no human resources. So we funnel a lot of money to MAF and other missionary endeavors, as well a supporting the local food bank and women's crisis center. We are also very involved with the the local university with a campus ministry.

Because of the demographics of this congregation, sadly we don't have either a men's group or a woman's group or any other group, for that matter. Not that we haven't tried, it's just that there is no population density to draw from. So you learn to adapt and find other outlets of ministry. The Lord is blessing us with some church growth, both internal--we had two baby dedications last Sunday--and external--we are interviewing a family that wants to join.

My philosophy of ministry in the big church is exactly the same as it is now in this smaller church: find a need a fill it. I don't believe in the "one size ministry" for all churches or pastorates. Each congregation has its own dynamic and its own particular needs. It took me a few years of ministry, about 21 to be exact, to figure out that what works in one church probably won't work in another church, but wise is the pastor who takes the time get to know his congregation and finds godly ways (and sometimes imaginative ways) to meet their needs.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Okay, I do have views and opinions on this subject, but I am reserving them till after I ask some questions of which I have a few....

1. Can anyone show me in the bible where the scripture says that a church is to have more than 1 Shepard? My thoughts/beliefs on this is that a Shepard (Pastor) is the overseer of the sheep...He is to protect them from the "wolves."

Which brings me to my next question...

2. How can a Shepard protect 2000 people from a wolf? Which brings me to my next question

3. If we are to be a Body of Christ, members united together to do HIS work, then how can a Shepard allow people to just sit there and do nothing? How will he know if one is sick or affecting the whole body?

I have always wondered about these things and I am seriously seeking the answers to them....My husband Pastor's a home church of which we are a small community...I love it...We can focus on each person if need be and we work together as a Body of Christ...Does not the Word tell us we, and an individual, are the church and that we together make up the Body of Christ? I do believe it does...

I don't personally don't see how a mega church can funciton as a Body of Christ....Yes, it has a lot of financial support behind it, but is that the number one important issue?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

The NT church wasn't all home churches! And the early church, some of them, were quite large. In fact, church history is full of very large churches. In the days before there were churches ever few feet, there would be one or two in a community and they would both be full and large.

A mega church can function just fine with a senior pastor, who is more of a CEO in some cases, but with a staff of several other pastors. Large churches often have a pastor for every age group and every ministry.

For myself, the idea of attending a "home church" is very unappealing. I need a structure and the support of an organization with overseers and accountability of leadership.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

There are good mega-churches and bad ones. Same with small churches. While its true that some mega-churches end up being more or less tax exempt suburban country clubs, many do make a very positive difference in their communities and in peoples lives.

While its true that small churches do provide a very intimate atmosphere where one can really get to know other members, they also can split over the the most trivial of issues, and some of them can be kind of "cultish".

If you ask me, its more important to find a good church that you like and that works for you, rather than to be focused simply on the size of a church.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

What attracts a certain type of person to a mega church is the very fact of anonymity; they don't want to be involved in anything, they just want to go to church. I am not saying that's a bad thing or a good thing, I am stating that to be fact. Some people just don't want to be involved or noticed, and that's next to impossible in a small church. I believe that some people can grow spiritually in that environment, but eventually as they mature they will want to become involved. It's the very nature of Christianity to be active in the faith.

I think we can't generalize all mega-churches, or tiny churches, for that matter. In my church, as members grow spiritually and want to become involved, there is an almost infinate number of ways they can serve. From very simple things such as handing out bulletins, to helping or teaching in a class, to going on mission trips to India, China, or our own tiny town. Lots of ways women can serve in my "mega church" - from women's retreats to helping ministries to simply sitting at registration tables in the community. I'm sure there are many ways on the men side too - I'm just not connected there. And the benefits to keeping the youth/teens involved is incredible. As my teen spends spiritual time with other teens at the church (on Sunday and throughout the week) she connects with those same teens at school and in the community and she is strengthened and supported by their fellowship as she learns to make choices in life.

I LOVE my church. I'm guessing that it may be an exception to the mega situation. It is not affluent - as many of the dollars raised to into programs that are offered as outreach into the community. And it is not a "drop in when ya want" sort of church. We just finished a series on Joseph that lasted 4 weeks - I don't think the folks wanting to pop in for a fluffy message would hang around for that. I am brought to my knees weekly in praise to God in our worship each week. There is no pretension, no fluff, no putting on airs in the church.

Still don't get the coffee shop, though..... but whatever......

Guest LambofJesus

:) Good question.

:rolleyes: Hard answer!

My personal preference is to know everyone in my church, because I love my family. Now that being said, some people prefer a BIG family! I can not say if one is better than the other. I can only say it would be VERY difficult for me to feel comfortable with that many people. My church has three services on Sunday, the first and second services have about 40-50 people at each one (sometimes the same people!! YAY!) I have yet to attend the late service but my Uncle does the sound at the church and says there are less people there. I love going to whatever church my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins go to. I love going to church with them (but we all know we go to church FOR Jesus and ourselves!)

Wow that was kinda of a rant huh?! Sorry about that! I guess the simple answer I have (my own view) is as long as you go to church and feel the holy spirit and the love Jesus is giving us then it is a GOOD thing!!!!!!

Your Brother in Christ.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

All I ask is don't get me wrong here...I read the last 3 replies after my first post, but none stated a single scripture just personal insights...

I am genuinely seeking this out...I pointed out some things I would like to ask about if that's okay...If not, then so be it...

So:

Marnie can you show me where you got this information:

The NT church wasn't all home churches! And the early church, some of them, were quite large. In fact, church history is full of very large churches. In the days before there were churches ever few feet, there would be one or two in a community and they would both be full and large.

To comment to a home church being very unappealing because you need structure and accoutabiliy. We are a home church, though I don't speak for all of them but, we do have all that...We have structure, accountabilty and support of an organization with overseers...

forrestkc this can be true that some small home churches seem cultish but look at David Koresh, Jim Jones...They had many members....

You said:

If you ask me, its more important to find a good church that you like and that works for you, rather than to be focused simply on the size of a church. I pose this: Should we not be lead of the Lord to do HIS work and not what works for us? Yes, the size I feel does play a role in this...I could say the Pharisee's loved a crowd and love to dawn robes with tassels for all to see...

LambofJesus: I don't see your post as a rant at all...I ask though because it does puzzle me: Why 3 services with a small group and the same people attend the services? Does the preacher preach the same thing at all 3? Just curious....

Guest LambofJesus
LambofJesus: I don't see your post as a rant at all...I ask though because it does puzzle me: Why 3 services with a small group and the same people attend the services? Does the preacher preach the same thing at all 3? Just curious....

Just some of the people attend more than once and not every week. The pastor does have the same message every one of the three services. It's strange though, have you ever watched a movie a second or third time and seen something you missed the first time? I have :laugh:.

Also I wanted to applogize that I am still new to knowing where to find info about specific questions. I am sure I have read in the old KJ version how big a church is supposed to be in cubits, but I do not remember reading anything about the size of the following. If I remember correctly though at one point Jesus himself had hundreds of followers at once. If walking with Jesus is not considered church I don't know what would be! :laugh: Hope that helps!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

Ok here are my feelings on the matter.

I prefer a smaller church because in the past I've experienced great things, grew spirtually, made friends, and it was a great experience. Then I had to relocate because I married my husband. We go to a small church but don't really like it because it's in a small town and everyone already seems to have formed their "cliques" and are not willing to let us in! I think this can be the possible drawback of a small church, along with the gossip.

Big churches can be good if they're run right...and they do have less of a risk of falling prey to gossip and cliques.

I also have a bit of an issue with a pastor that wears all the bling and designer clothing...somehow I just don't get it. It gives people the wrong idea- that their money isn't going where it should be and is going into the pastors pocket instead.

I don't think this post made much sense...but really its a personal choice and I think that can change depending on where youre at in life.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Marnie can you show me where you got this information:

To comment to a home church being very unappealing because you need structure and accoutabiliy. We are a home church, though I don't speak for all of them but, we do have all that...We have structure, accountabilty and support of an organization with overseers...

forrestkc this can be true that some small home churches seem cultish but look at David Koresh, Jim Jones...They had many members....

Umm...the book of Acts. The Jerusalem Council? Paul telegraphing ahead to various churches to have the offerings ready for him. They ordained elders, deacons, bishops, etc. You have to have some size to do all that. Church history from Polycarp on down indicates that at various times larger churches, cathedrals, were the norm and so-called home churches were the anomaly.

When I speak of accountability, I am referring to a leadership upline as described in the NT. You are telling me you have that in your home church?? You ordain leadership? Who ordains them? Who educates them? Who do they answer to? Do you send out missionaries? A church is more than just a group of people meeting in your livingroom. Nothing personal, but as a relative new-comer to the faith, I am not seeing the concept of the "home church" in the NT at all.