• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

Ok, ok, I'll be the first Scrooge to post here then. :cool:

I don't put up Christmas trees. But then, I don't 'do' Christmas at all. There are many reasons, but the main one is that my late husband had researched the traditions of Christmas many years before we met, and he was so disgusted with the pagan nature of most Christmas traditions that he wanted nothing to do with any of it.

For me, that translated out to:

I don't have to wear myself out putting up the decorations,

I don't have to wear myself out keeping kids and cats from ruining the decorations, and

I don't have to wear myself out taking down and storing decorations.

Hey, win/win/win for me! :24:

(Also, I don't have a high electric bill in Dec from running lights all night - not to mention, the lack of that particular fire hazard.)

As for the Jeremiah passage, I am very familiar with it, and it doesn't quite ring true to me either as being about the Christmas tree. On the other hand, one Christmas tradition that does strike me as being rather worshipful towards the tree is the song 'O Christmas Tree.' Just saying...

Another thing that has occurred to me - while we don't of course worship the Christmas tree - seems to me that a lot of people come mighty close to worshipping what's under it.

Hmm? Yes? No?

But I'm a very relaxed Holiday Drop-out. I don't proselytize about it.

Now returning you to your regularly scheduled thread. :th_praying:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

blessed, i was sure blessed by your post! i didn't realize those references were in the scriptures...

I never saw it in scriptures either :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Christmas trees do have an origin in Pagan history, however Christians have redeemed this symbol and have made it a symbol to represent what Christ has done for us. I hope that we do not give back what has been redeemed for Christ. The same would be true of almost every aspect of the Easter (even its name) celebrations. It is very common in some churches to give back what has been redeemed, but I don't see any good in this.

By the way, we decorate our house as a way to worship God. The center of our Christmas decorations is a light covered cross which I welded together which is around nine feet tall. It would be a sad day if Christians everywhere stopped celebrating what God has done in our lives, for our lives. We have even won decorating contest in our h.o.a.

If you would like more info. on the pagan origins of many of our Christian origins pm me. If I get too many pm's I may start a new topic giving this info.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Yea!

The annual bash Christmas thread.

OK, fess up everyone.

How many have a Christmas tree but yet say halloween is evil?

uhhhhh, i always put up a tree, and i do believe there is no redeeming halloween from it's pagan origin.

however, i don't beat people over the head about halloween, i think it's a holiday that gives us a perfect opportunity to witness to people! and i love dressing up in costume! last year i was cruella.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Instead of buying a tree and ornaments. Take the money and give it to your local homeless shelter.