IGNORED

How to Handle This?

Got a phone call from one of my friends who is in somewhat of a bind. He's a believer, and I'm not sure what to tell him about this one. It's a wisdom thing I think.

He gets to work using a mountain bike and the bus, and the bike was stolen. He doesn't have the money to replace it, and so far the folks at church have only been able to find one bike that was too small for him to ride. This guy does about 7 miles one way to work, then back, so the bike has to fit properly. He's in a bind and the only way to get another bike if he has to get a new or used one is to use his tithe money -- there is no other option, unless the Lord provides something. He's asking me for advice, and I'm not sure what to tell him (he's going to talk to our pastor too.)

My friend and I are in similar straights financially, and we're both to the point where there isn't much left but to "turn off" the rent. All the "luxuries" have all gone by the way side before this. He's got a temporary solution that won't last much longer, and there is a time pressure to the situation because if he can't get to work he gets fired.

Basically, I'm wondering what I should tell him. I know from my own experience that spending the tithe on other things is not a good idea, but this is a situation that doesn't fit in the normal pigeon holes. This is not about using the tithe for a TV or stereo, but transportation to work. We're already praying about this.

Any ideas?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Well, my feeling is that tithing is very important, but isn't commanded. If using his tithe money is a way to get transportation to his job, then I am sure God understands. I also think that there are other things to tithe - time and abilities for instance. Could he do some volunteer work in his spare time? Cleaning his church, helping an elderly person to rake leaves? This would be serving God.

<>< ><>

Nathele

The tithe is the Lords...what you give to anyone should be as if you were His hands in the Earth. We bring shame on the name of the Lord when we don't care for each others needs (not wants or desires)

I travel so much on weekends that I haven't had a "home congregation" in at least 6 years so I designed a creative way of tithing. I opened a special tithing bank account and put at least 10% in there (sometimes much more) and know that anything spent from that account has to be for furthering the Kingdom of God. Sometimes it's a missionary, sometimes its a gift to help one person, sometimes it is a congregation. Usually it is some combination of gifts for blessing of others.

I have no problem with doing things this way and, now, would probably continue even if I were able to have a home congregation.

if he gives what is God's to God, and tithes anyway, God will provide him what he needs to get back and forth from work. God's economy is just really amazing that way.

i have a friend who recently felt God was leading her to go to a particular event.... single's camp. (this friend didn't really WANT to go to single's camp. she's a widow, and the last time she was at the location where singles camp was being held, it was with her late husband, so she'd have been happy not to go, but God was really pressing it on her heart to go anyway.) well, if she obeyed God, it meant she'd have to have used money that was set aside for tithes. so she was like "fine God, but the tithes are yours. if you want me at camp, you're going to have to find another way to get the money to me."

she tithed... and the following week, a little miracle occurred. she opened her mailbox and there was a check that was literally within pennies of the amount needed for camp. it was a reimbursement check from an old utility company where she had apparently overpaid them something YEARS EARLIER, and they had just gotten around to auditing their books and found the error.

i've had similar experiences in my own life, and have known others who have as well.

God may not provide any extra, but He does provide exactly what we need when we willingly make sacrifices to give Him what belongs to Him.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  469
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  09/21/1967

Compromise is the answer. If God dosnt provide a bicycle at last minute, and quite often Gods timing is very last second, then spend the money allocated for the tithe. It is not worth loosing job over and irresponsible to do so. Treat the Tithe as a loan. Spend the tithe money, but tell God it will be paid back, so instead of 10% make payments of 12.5% until the "loan" is repaid.

Knowing how God works, I wouldnt be suprised that if after spending the tithe money a few weeks later God will provide the money anyway, unexpected cheque in post, gift from someone etc, in that case it can all be paid off in one go! God is amazing like that.

EDIT:

This kind of reminded me of little amusing story. A man was stranded on the roof of his house during a flood. The waters were quickly rising. The man was a Christian and so prayed to God to keep him safe. some time later a helicopter came over but he waived it on saying he was fine and God would take care of him and they should resuce someoen else.

half an hour later a boat came along and same thing happened, the man said that God would keep himsafe from the flood and the boat should be used to rescue other people .

A few hours later and the floods rose and covered the house, the man was swept away and drowned. upon facing the Lord the man said, Lord Lord did you not hear me, I prayed and trusted that you would keep me safe from harm so how is it I am now here before you?

The Lord speaks to the man before him. "I did help you, Who do you think sent the Helicopter and boat to rescue you!"

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

There is a church out here with $5,000 + members that has a fund for times like these.

To bad you haven't found a church that could allow them to borrow the money for the bike and still pay his tithe.

Me personally, I would be struggling with that decision myself.

A month ago, I would of bought the bike, not second thought.

Recently, I would be confused if it was a test of faith.

Sorry this post dosn't help much

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

God asks that you give from your means - and if you can't get to work to make a paycheck, it's a moot point anyway, isn't it?

But more importantly, I don't think God works in financial terms. We do. Buy the bike and give another way - volunteer your time or energy somewhere. That's just as useful and probably will hold more meaning for the person giving, anyway.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

Got a phone call from one of my friends who is in somewhat of a bind. He's a believer, and I'm not sure what to tell him about this one. It's a wisdom thing I think.

He gets to work using a mountain bike and the bus, and the bike was stolen. He doesn't have the money to replace it, and so far the folks at church have only been able to find one bike that was too small for him to ride. This guy does about 7 miles one way to work, then back, so the bike has to fit properly. He's in a bind and the only way to get another bike if he has to get a new or used one is to use his tithe money -- there is no other option, unless the Lord provides something. He's asking me for advice, and I'm not sure what to tell him (he's going to talk to our pastor too.)

My friend and I are in similar straights financially, and we're both to the point where there isn't much left but to "turn off" the rent. All the "luxuries" have all gone by the way side before this. He's got a temporary solution that won't last much longer, and there is a time pressure to the situation because if he can't get to work he gets fired.

Basically, I'm wondering what I should tell him. I know from my own experience that spending the tithe on other things is not a good idea, but this is a situation that doesn't fit in the normal pigeon holes. This is not about using the tithe for a TV or stereo, but transportation to work. We're already praying about this.

Any ideas?

Tell your friend that God has provided. Buy the bike.

damo1

to Walla 299

how i do understand what you are saying hear the way i approached this when i first started to tithe is this i just sat down one day and prayed about it and i said lord i have not got much and you know with the budget i am on yet i do not want to also miss out on your blessings how much do you want me to put in as i do not want to put in by what everyone else says

i started of by say $10 a fortnight and then i went up to $20 a fortnight this is what i was comfterbal with giving and this is all i could afford as their wear days when i did need this for milk and bread and i could not afford to go with out though i also noticed that my money stretched for some strange reason to wear i was able to pay bills and get my shoping and stil have left over to last for the fortnight

i do it also this way god first and then everything else second their are days i do miss out but i cover up for it by doubling the amount the following pay and i feel god sees wear my heart is he does not want all of our money but we are to given him 10% of what we earn and its a good biblical teaching

i have also had to reduce in what i was spending my money on i sit down and go over the for what i want and against what i want is this realy going to benifit me or am i after a month going to put it to the side and just not use it any more

i feel your friend should do as his heart is set on this matter if he needs it then he should get this with out feeling guilty i only just got my self a mountain bike just to make it simple for me as i do a lot of walking and i also walk to my work sight i have nearly walked all around this farming comunity i live in and know it by the back of my hand every crack in the foot path every pot hole in the streets i walk and i know every single dog in each street it got to the point wear i was even walking to work in the early hours of the morning at 2am to wear i was working once in the rain

the cab cost and i said no more as that was a 100 dollars i could have saved instead of wasting it on cab fairs so i would go to be early just to get to uni and its a good 1half hour walk from wear i am living know even threw winter i was walking to the sights i was cleaning and i could not stop for a brake when i got to the sights i had to push my self just to get the buildings out the way as we had a time fram and had to be out before the staff got to their offices and students

know i am able to use my mountain bike even though i can afford to get a car i do not need one as i can also borow a car when my son comes to visit me as cars also cost with petrol and rejo and then repairs as cars wil brake down on you

so just leting you know i do hear what you are saying hear on this i hope what i have shared helps

from your brother in the lord damien

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

My thoughts are that he should use his tithe money to buy the bike, but it should not be done lightly. First he should buy the cheapest bike he can that still fits his needs. Then he should find someone to make sure he does not start considering it a fallback, he should not be saying things like "Oh, it's okay if I spend some extra money here, I can just make up the rest of the rent out of my tithe". He could treat the bike as borrowed money and try to give extra tithe until the amount as back as soon as he has the means.

You should also be careful not to be too legalistic. I'm not sure how much tithe your friend pays, but he isn't a "bad" Christian if he drops below 10%. Now I think that in most cases people should be paying above 10% (I consider it a minimum amount for myself) but some people have circumstances that simply do not allow it and I think it is fine if they give less than 10%.

I personally have struggled with this as well. Between my tithe and car insurance I have barely been putting money into my university fund. And it will cost me upwards of $30,000 to get through university. So I decided to cut back my tithe to put away a bit of extra money. I will try to make up for what I am not giving now with whatever money I save by paying less interest on money owed after I finish university.