Near

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

There has been some controversy with the Harry Potter books and movies by author J.K. Rowling and the message it potrays to children. Some Christians are saying it is recruiting Wiccan children and making the younger crowd think it is Okay to play with magic. Also, The Golden Compass has sparked some question marks over heads lately. Yes, I have heard that it uses a passage from Genesis (I believe where Eve ate from the Tree of Knowledge) and said that if any ate from that tree, it awakened their deamon inside of them.

I think the Golden Compass has a much more bad meaning that HP. Of course, there are some Occultic matters in HP and that it can be brainwashing, but taking a look at GC and seeing what they've got is a lot more worse in my opinion. For explain deamons is very similar to demons, just with the ae symbol added to actually disguise it. Also, from reading about that passage where the author (forgot his name) uses a part of Genesis about the Tree of Knowledge, almost makes it sound RIGHT to eat from the tree even when God said not to.

So, what are your guys opinions on this?

Please everyone be aware that I just posted this out of curiousity and not to hurt anyone's feelings. If anyone has any hard feelings, please don't take them seriously and let's keep this a light debate, shall we? :rolleyes:

Edited by Near

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Near, just to let you know....................threads about Harry Potter usually turn into ugly fights, with the threads getting closed by the Mod's and peoples feelings getting hurt. :rolleyes:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  780
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  04/20/1983

Harry Potter is a silly kid's story. It has less than nothing to do with the silly kid's religion wicca. Or the occult. It's a fantasy for children. It doesn't teach children that playing around with magic is ok, it teachs kids absolutely nothing, except perhaps that a hack like Rowling can make money off them.

The Golden Compass I don't know anything about but if it's what it appears to be it's just another film based on a fantasy novel. Chances are it has no more to do with the occult than Harry Potter does.

You want a film about the occult, try The Devil Rides Out, based on the novel of the same title by Dennis Wheatley. That's really about Satanism and black magic; and no, it doesn't recruit people for Satanism, it warns against it.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  12/11/1987

It's only in my own opinion that I say the Harry Potter series is less dangerous to children than most of the toys in their hands. Part of growing up is playing, and I highly doubt that any child is going to take the idea of magic beyond what it really is: fantasy.

However, His Dark Materials (the book in which The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass are compiled) most likely is on a more anti-Christian stance. Particularly against Catholics, which is my faith, for Philip Pullman had named the antagonist of the series 'The Magisterium,' which just happens to be the name for the Pope and his council of bishops. There are several more themes found out throughout the book; however, Pullman himself has said that he is trying to unravel the insipid ideology that is Christianity.

Now, you're probably thinking, "Well, she has just stated all of that -- all sounded negative -- so there's no way she's supporting this man." My friend, you would be right in the sense that I do not support his attempts of trying to dissuade people from our Lord; I don't necessarily agree that these books should not be read all together, though. I am reading them, for most of what I posted was nothing more than heresy found through different sources. I am not the type of person who will deliberately dislike something because someone else said I should; I'd rather find out for myself that whatever the case maybe, the series here and now, was judged fairly and without bias on someone else's part.

When I do finish, however, I will let you all know what my findings are. I actually plan on going through it with a fine-toothed comb and taking notes on tone and implications.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Scarletprayers is right. If we're going to get into this subject again, I would warn all participants to guard against any comments that might be construed as personal attack. Seems every time we open this can of worms it gets away from us really fast.

Be careful, please.

• Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  04/19/1942

There has been some controversy with the Harry Potter books and movies by author J.K. Rowling and the message it potrays to children. Some Christians are saying it is recruiting Wiccan children and making the younger crowd think it is Okay to play with magic. Also, The Golden Compass has sparked some question marks over heads lately. Yes, I have heard that it uses a passage from Genesis (I believe where Eve ate from the Tree of Knowledge) and said that if any ate from that tree, it awakened their deamon inside of them.

I think the Golden Compass has a much more bad meaning that HP. Of course, there are some Occultic matters in HP and that it can be brainwashing, but taking a look at GC and seeing what they've got is a lot more worse in my opinion. For explain deamons is very similar to demons, just with the ae symbol added to actually disguise it. Also, from reading about that passage where the author (forgot his name) uses a part of Genesis about the Tree of Knowledge, almost makes it sound RIGHT to eat from the tree even when God said not to.

my grandkids have seen all the potter movies. about the only thing they ask about was," papaw can i have some more popcorn, or can i have another coke". on the other hand my grandson can quote almost ever thing "capt. jack sparrow" say's in the "pirates of the caribbean" movie's. both movie's are fantasy.in my humble opinion the only harm in these movie's was to my wallet. :24::24::24:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338

The Golden Compass is a poorly written book. And I understand the movie isn't much better. If Christians are worried about it, they should stop talking about it and ignore it, because right now, the church is best advertisement this franchise has ever had.

my grandkids have seen all the potter movies. about the only thing they ask about was," papaw can i have some more popcorn, or can i have another coke". on the other hand my grandson can quote almost ever thing "capt. jack sparrow" say's in the "pirates of the caribbean" movie's. both movie's are fantasy.in my humble opinion the only harm in these movie's was to my wallet. :24::24::24:

:24: right you are papaw!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Content Count:  1,213
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

My only comment on this subject is people will do anything for money! God can forgive it in spite of its demonic teachings. I would not want to stand before him on the day of judgement and answer for all the wrong these books and movies have done to lead our young people astray away from God and to Satan. It can all be reversed and forgiven if we repent for letting our Children watch such things as this!

And here it goes.....................................