secondeve

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  421
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Personally, I tend to lean on the side of the spirit (when it comes to everyday law as well as moral).

Which is one of many good reasons why you are not suited to the job of security guard.

I would think that the essence of that job would be that somebody in control has the responsibility of deciding the rules of engagement and, if presented to an employee without room for negotiation, must be followed to the letter of the law.

Any criticism in the situation you describe, however maddening it must have been, would surely be directed to whoever was in control behind the scenes and their inability to allow sufficient flexibility of choice to the security guard.

If anything went wrong on campus, security guards would usually be judged on how well they followed their written instructions and not on how well they interpreted them.

And having said that, I have never been a security guard, though having served in the army it often seemed very similar, and if I had been you and been treated in such a manner it would have been very irritating.

But it made a good basis for a thread, and thank you.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  02/21/1986

Personally, I tend to lean on the side of the spirit (when it comes to everyday law as well as moral).

Which is one of many good reasons why you are not suited to the job of security guard.

I would think that the essence of that job would be that somebody in control has the responsibility of deciding the rules of engagement and, if presented to an employee without room for negotiation, must be followed to the letter of the law.

Any criticism in the situation you describe, however maddening it must have been, would surely be directed to whoever was in control behind the scenes and their inability to allow sufficient flexibility of choice to the security guard.

If anything went wrong on campus, security guards would usually be judged on how well they followed their written instructions and not on how well they interpreted them.

And having said that, I have never been a security guard, though having served in the army it often seemed very similar, and if I had been you and been treated in such a manner it would have been very irritating.

But it made a good basis for a thread, and thank you.

For my part, I understood the guy was looking to the rules, but what made me so mad was his flat-out acknowledgement that it was a glitch in his system: he knew we were allowed to be there, but because the computer didn't, we had to leave. If he hadn't known about the error, I would've acquiesced, but as things stood, I got ticked off. :emot-prettywink:

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  03/15/1970

The spirit of the law we are told excelleth the letter 2cor 3:8-10.

I believe theat grace ought to be more legally credible than has been appreciated, so many christians have been unduely denied when they were really in faith. Though let us not grow weary in well doing...

the spirit and the letter of the law can not be separated. how can one ascertain the spirit of a law without seeing what was written in the first place to discover it's purpose?

In other words, one must first study and know the letter of the law before they can even have an opinion on what the spirit of that law is.

They are BOTH equally vital and important

I agree with you here, though it brings to mind issues like healing and delierance.

I am yet to manifest this but I perceive some cases where the recipient hadn't known of any hope for whatever condition until impacted by the presence of God in a Christians life. We hear of how the demoniac seeing Jesus far of 'ran' to him acknowledging that a solution had come at last that could subdue all his confusions.

Letter and Law.

The Holy Spirit will guide us in following the Law without being in financial ruin..

About financial ruin, at least you're counting the cost(lol). I almost got religious about it but saw it as a reasonable consideration. Our financial security is a big factor associated with our faith and commitment. This is why it's important that the church preach the full gospel and declare the manifold wisdom of God to the powers that be. The seed principle ought to be effective in government and business expections, that means productivity and abundance. Until then though we Christians are not dependant on the state's state we must believe for our Godly favour regardless. I think there is alot of unfathomed potential and we should live for that hope...'that maketh not ashamed'.

Letter and Law.

The Holy Spirit will guide us in following the Law without being in financial ruin..

About financial ruin, at least you're counting the cost(lol). I almost got religious about it but saw it as a reasonable consideration. Our financial security is a big factor associated with our faith and commitment. This is why it's important that the church preach the full gospel and declare the manifold wisdom of God to the powers that be. The seed principle ought to be effective in government and business expections, that means productivity and abundance. Until then though we Christians are not dependant on the state's state we must believe for our Godly favour regardless. I think there is alot of unfathomed potential and we should live for that hope...'that maketh not ashamed'.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I believe it depends on our own spiritual development. Just as in natural development, we must first learn the letter of the law/command - "Don't touch the stove, or don't go into the street" to avoid being burnt or killed, as we do not yet fully comprehend the purpose of the stove and when it is hot and when it is not, or when the street is "safe". Later, as we understand, we are able to not only touch the stove, but use it to nourish others; we not only go in the street, but ride and drive on it - because we understand the principles behind the original command "Don't touch the stove".

The letter is the foundation, and is primarily for our protection, the spirit comes with maturity and is much more complex; but does not exist without the foundation of the letter.

Sal

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

I have no idea what you two guys are talking about.

Biblically- The Spirit would be more important compared to the law For the simple reason He can witness without the Law. It has been done with some of us. Then The Holy Spirit helps us to interpret the word. ( if that is what is meant by the Law?!) Many places do not have bibles ...yet. Paul states it is not always the letter of the law.

I believe that somwhere in the word it says 'the letter kills'

but if this personal to a job or governmental rules it can be a different story. Tricky .... Lets do a poll.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

This makes me think of Matthew 5:

21"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brotherwill be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,[c]' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

27"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.'[e] 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

The spirit of the law can be greater than the letter of the law!

Oups, I necro'd an old thread :emot-hug:

Edited by Heavenguard

Which is more important: the spirit of the law, or the letter of the law?

Must we choose one to the exclusion of the other?

that would be impossible.

There is no "spirit" of a law that has not been written