IGNORED

Attending a Pagan Conference

David of Derby

I have to face questions like this with my own family so I sympathize with your desire to honor you sister's request.

Here is what I would advise.

If you go, it implies to your sister than this Pagan Conference isn't really so bad. It implies tacit approval...even endorsement. It implies that you don't really have any problems with being part of it.

This will only make it harder for her to understand that being holy means being separate from the world. I'm assuming that you would like for your sister to know Jesus?

So you ask brothers/sisters in the Lord their advice and then refuse to listen. Not a good idea, imo.

What if she invites you to march in the gay parade next?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

My concern, Neb, would not be so much for the welfare of David, since he seems quite sure of his faith.

My concern would be what message attending such an event would send to his sister, just by him being there? :laugh:

I understand that -

But I know what it is to be a Christian in fellowship with New Agers, pagans, Wiccans, and I know the temptations of the little things and their consequences. That's all.

I don't know if it would be bad. We had a a few Christians show up at the local metaphysical shop and start hanging out. And, you know what the result was? The shop owner started selling bibles so the christians would have something to read while they were in the shop other than Wiccan, Witchcraft, and other type books. So my experience is a little different as it they were highly respected for not burning us at the stake so the response was: provide bibles and open ears.

But that is just my experience. :emot-highfive:

Grace to you,

I'm not trying to be disrespectful hurtin however, it is my opinion due to the Word. That no Christian has any business in a shop like this unless he is there obediently to witness. Hanging out there whether there are Bibles or not is not a good idea.

I tell my own children at home. "Don't even mess with this stuff, don't touch it, don't taste it, don't consider it, don't be around it."

Peace,

Dave

:emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  780
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  04/20/1983

Now that concerns me.

A man in my prayer is the son and brother of Wiccan women, and they have literally tried to kill him and his wife (slowly via poisoning) because of his faith in Jesus.

She was joking, I believe... although the behaviour of the so-called Christian she described to me was abhorrent. I shan't recount the details, but I will say this chap, and his wife, were ignoring Jesus' instruction to love their neighbours as themselves.

I have to face questions like this with my own family so I sympathize with your desire to honor you sister's request.

Here is what I would advise.

If you go, it implies to your sister than this Pagan Conference isn't really so bad. It implies tacit approval...even endorsement. It implies that you don't really have any problems with being part of it.

This will only make it harder for her to understand that being holy means being separate from the world. I'm assuming that you would like for your sister to know Jesus?

So you ask brothers/sisters in the Lord their advice and then refuse to listen. Not a good idea, imo.

What if she invites you to march in the gay parade next?

I think I must have been unclear. She didn't ask me to go for her sake, she thought I might find it interesting from an uninvolved, outside perspective. Years back she showed me some of her pagan books, since I expressed some mild curiosity; I read the forewood of one and handed them all back, declaring the whole thing a load of old cobblers. Since then she's made absolutely no effort to recruit me for her merry band. Since I've become Christian we have a sort of status quo, I don't preach to her and she doesn't try to turn me to her side.

I think it somewhat unlikely that my sister would ask me to march in a gay pride parade, since she's not gay, I'm not gay, and I'd be... shall we say, perturbed, if anyone asked me to do so.

I never said I wasn't listening to people's input, merely responding to it. I apologise unreservedly if I wasn't clear in my original and subsequent posts about what's going on here or my intentions. I do hope I haven't offended anyone here. That was never my desire.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

She suggested it might be interesting, that's all. I'm a little bit disturbed by the branding of my sister as an "enemy," granted we don't always see eye to eye but I don't imagine she's sitting around sticking pins in an effigy of me...

It depends on what they are doing in my opinion. I follow a little of this recent pagan phenom as they often claim that they invented Christianity etc so I like to see their arguments. For me it is all just a little too trendy, but that is neither here nor there.

One of the things I tell some people I know who are pagans is that they should follow the lead of the true historical pagans who decided to convert to a belief in Christ.

The thing that a Christian cannot do is partake in worship with non-believers as that would basically say you equate their beliefs with a belief in Christ. But they may not be doing any worship; it may be just some sort of educational conference, who knows maybe you can convert some of them?

• Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

What would be your goal in attending?

My goal? Seeing if there's anything of interest there.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Hi David of Derby,in your opening post you said this,>>

Since I got all religious, she suggested I should attend, if for no other reason than they have historians who talk at the conference and this is an interest of mine.

Since I got all religious, is all the nore reason you should avoid this conference. You don't seem to be grounded in the word enough to attend. I wouldn't advise a mature christian to attend. let alone someone who has only become interested in religion. Keep away, David is my advice.

I think I must have been unclear.

I'm sure it's me just jumping into the middle of the thread. please forgive me if that came across too strong.

She didn't ask me to go for her sake, she thought I might find it interesting from an uninvolved, outside perspective

Years back she showed me some of her pagan books, since I expressed some mild curiosity; I read the forewood of one and handed them all back, declaring the whole thing a load of old cobblers.

a wise decision! So why would you want to be in the midst of an entire "conference" of people whose self-appointed title tells you everything about them? Can you see how that might seem like you've compromised to someone who knows you....and someone who doesn't know you and meets you there would have no reason to assume that you are one of them if they see you out afterwards, wouldn't they?

Since then she's made absolutely no effort to recruit me for her merry band.

this seems like an effort to me. Would it be reciprocated if you asked her to visit a large christian conference?

I think it somewhat unlikely that my sister would ask me to march in a gay pride parade, since she's not gay, I'm not gay, and I'd be... shall we say, perturbed, if anyone asked me to do so.

the point is that there is a point where you would draw a line before associating with a particular group. Why do pagans fascinate you this way?

I never said I wasn't listening to people's input, merely responding to it. I apologise unreservedly if I wasn't clear in my original and subsequent posts about what's going on here or my intentions. I do hope I haven't offended anyone here. That was never my desire.

No offense was ever taken so I must assume that it was I who offended you. Again, I'm sorry for not reading the whole thread before jumping in...

:emot-pray:

Love Your Sister?

Eternity Is Forever!

Go To War!

Pray!

:whistling:

Dear Brother

Let Worthy Joint With You In This Spiritual Dust Up

Post A Request On The Prayer Boards

Be Blessed Beloved

Show Her Jesus

Love Her

Fight!

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Ephesians 6:12

the point is that there is a point where you would draw a line before associating with a particular group. Why do pagans fascinate you this way?

They don't fascinate me. History fascinates me. I had decided to go along to this but perhaps I should have a word with my sis and see just how much proper history there'll be there and how much pro-pagan white-washing. On the other hand, entirely non-pagan things happen there, too. For instance, they invite the author Terry Pratchett to attend every year, although Derby is too far for him to travel and he's never yet appeared, it gives you an idea of what sort of things could be expected besides the obvious.