• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

recently on another board a woman made a statement that she loves everybody.

I made a statement that I cannot make such a claim and that she must be a better woman than I because of it.

My question is: how honest are we being when we say that we love everybody? Is the love lost on those who can't claim they love everybody?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Biblicist

Maybe she can say that because she does not know everybody? :laugh:

:laugh:

Truly, we are not capable of loving anybody without the love of the LORD Jesus Christ! We can love other's only through him, because HE is LOVE. :laugh:

Maybe she can say that because she does not know everybody? :laugh:

:laugh:

Truly, we are not capable of loving anybody without the love of the LORD Jesus Christ! We can love other's only through him, because HE is LOVE. :laugh:

LOL!! for sure!

I can honestly say that there is not a human being alive that I wish terror or horror on, but even for some of the people I do know, that is as good as it gets?? So do I fall short of the mark with this miniscule amount of "love" for my fellow man?

Guest shiloh357

I made a statement that I cannot make such a claim and that she must be a better woman than I because of it.

My question is: how honest are we being when we say that we love everybody? Is the love lost on those who can't claim they love everybody?

I think before we can say we love or don't love anyone, we need a working definition of love. I mean, what does she mean when she uses that word?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Shalom,

I don't question that sister's statement at all. We cannot judge her heart, We also have to remember that our definition of love is different than the Bible's, which is the correct one. We, as Christians are commanded to love everyone, especially other Christians, but we are to love people because of, and with the love of the L-rd Jesus because He loves us.

John 13

34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

1 John 4

7Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

8The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

1 John 4:11

Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

It's not the warm, fuzzies, it's a spiritual love that we have because of the Holy Spirit in us. Don't worry if you don't FEEL love for everyone, especially people you don't like. That's not what love is. Love is being so concerned about someone's eternal soul that you would even risk getting them angry at you :laugh: for sharing the truth. Actually, the Word says love is being willing to lay down our life for our brother.

I think before we can say we love or don't love anyone, we need a working definition of love. I mean, what does she mean when she uses that word?

I don't have a clue what she was meaning. I can say that I love everyone enough not to try to kill them or wish bad things on them, no one.....but for most people that is as good as it gets and even after I get to know them more, it still may go no further than that. Am I wrong in not loving even those I know more than that?

Guest Biblicist

I think we need to understand that hate/dislike is not the opposite of love, as some might think. They are actually two different sides to the same coin.

I think worse sin toward another human being would be indifference. Just not caring at all. If we hate them at least we consider them in some respect and hate can turn to love, or at least like, appreciation. Jesus said we are to "love our enemies and bless those who curse us." If we don't care about them at all, how can we follow Christ's example in this matter?

So, no. I do not think you fall short of the "mark" because you have trouble loving some people. I don't "love everyone" either. But I know that if Jesus Christ wants me to love them, he will give me the ability. Sometimes I do not "love" my husband, but I pray and imediately I get this overwhelming feeling of love for him, I know it does not come from me. Some days I have to pray for it more than others. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Shalom,

I believe we can and should love everyone. Since the Bible commands us to, it is not optional and it is something He expects of us. It is something we can do if we let the love of Jesus flow through us and not try to do it in our own strength.

We need to remember that love is not a feeling but an action.

Guest Biblicist

:laugh: Love is a VERB! :laugh:

Correction...I believe the verse goes "love those who hate you, and bless those who curse you." Sorry about that. :laugh:

Shalom,

I believe we can and should love everyone. Since the Bible commands us to, it is not optional and it is something He expects of us. It is something we can do if we let the love of Jesus flow through us and not try to do it in our own strength.

We need to remember that love is not a feeling but an action.

so does that mean you love everyone? I mean truly love them...with the heart of Christ, not the heart of man...what is the action you speak of and truthfully from your heart what does it look like?