IGNORED

Are we easily offended? Do we misunderstand?

Emily~Anne

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

I just want to say that I think we all need to make a conscious effort not to be easily offended, make sure we assume the best of other's intentions, and remember that the tone of one's post can be easily misunderstood in cyberspace. It can be hard to say something the right way, yet clearly.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,249

:laugh:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

I just want to say that I think we all need to maske a conscious effort not to be easily offended, assume the best of other's intentions, and remember that the tone of one's post can be easily misunderstood in cyberspace. It can be hard to say something the right way, yet clearly.

agreed....it is a two way street as you say...we must remember not to get easily offended and we should be equally conscientious of the words we do put out there. It is a fine line and can easily be mistaken. perhaps we would be wise to qualify what we are saying before dropping something that could appear like a bomb to the person we are addressing.....

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Shalom Emily Anne,

Yes, exactly. There is too much DRAMA going on! :laugh: Too many people get their knickers in a knot without even knowing for sure the person meant to hurt them. On a message board, it too easy to read INTO someone's post and get all bent outta shape.

However, the Biblical way to handle this is to contact the person PRIVATELY (Matthew 18) and ask them what they meant by something and let them know that it bothered you. Lashing out in the threads is not the Scriptural response.

Last night, someone posted something questionable. I thought the person was kinda rebuking me and I felt I was misjudged. So, I PM'd this person PRIVATELY and asked. And guess what, it turned out that the person wasn't even talking about me at all!!

Most of the arguments would be avoided if people did not ASSUME someone was talking to them, or that their words were intended to hurt.

Too many people don't understand my way of posting and ASSUME I am being mean, when I'm really not at all.

Recently, I posted a laugh in a thread. Someone told me that my laugh was sad. :laugh: HUH?

Well, they took offense to my having fun in the thread at something I said in my own post that tickled my funny bone and they took it wrongly and lashed out. Gee, they coulda asked! I really like a good laugh! :laugh:

Anyway, we also have to remember it's not all about US. Many people post here and if someone is going to get in a tizzy every time someone disagrees with them, well, they are going to be tizzied all the time! :laugh:

Time is too short to keep yer knickers in a knot all the time (and it's uncomfortable as well!!) :laugh:

So, let's just chill!

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

I just want to say that I think we all need to maske a conscious effort not to be easily offended, assume the best of other's intentions, and remember that the tone of one's post can be easily misunderstood in cyberspace. It can be hard to say something the right way, yet clearly.

agreed....it is a two way street as you say...we must remember not to get easily offended and we should be equally conscientious of the words we do put out there. It is a fine line and can easily be mistaken. perhaps we would be wise to qualify what we are saying before dropping something that could appear like a bomb to the person we are addressing.....

Shalom Jackie,

If the READER thinks someone is dropping a bomb on them, they shouldn't assume. The READER should give the poster the benefit of the doubt and think the best. They should ask the person before getting all in a tizzy and getting offended and lashing out. Sometimes, it's the READER, not the poster who has the problem. The READER should qualify what they ASSUME is meant harshly to see if they are correct before attacking the poster wrongly. Too many people get offended and blame the "other person" when it is themselves that are overly emotional and easily offended.

And, I admit that too many people, like myself, post succinctly and sometimes that can be mistaken for being harsh when it's not meant that way. We should all try a little harder to be understood and not to misunderstand others.

I also want to say, if a person is too easily offended, it can hinder their walk with the Lord and the effectiveness of being admonished and exhorted with God's word. Satan WANTS us to be easily offended.

Hebrews 4:12 (New International Version)

12For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Shucks, I am multi tasking over here. I'll come back and share more thoughts in a bit about when I was cohabitating with a man and a sister in Christ admonished me and etc.,

I just want to say that I think we all need to make a conscious effort not to be easily offended, make sure we assume the best of other's intentions, and remember that the tone of one's post can be easily misunderstood in cyberspace. It can be hard to say something the right way, yet clearly.

I agree that the tone of one's post can be easily misunderstood in cyberspace. Unlike a face to face conversation, you can't see a person's facial expressions or tone of voice. You can only go by what the person actually writes.

Yes, it is entirely possible the person could be posting out of genuine concern. Unfortunately facial expressions are hidden in cyberspace.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

For cryin out loud. All y'all take it private.