Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Please keep in mind that The Message is not an official translation but a prarphrase and should be treated as such.

Exactly.

I find the Message is a good resource for the lost in Christ who are seeking and may have problems with reading comprehension. It is like giving milk to a baby. It is not advisable for a believer to use it for deep study though. They need more meat in their spiritual diet.

I actually picked one up to compare with my bible. If it is good for the new Christian, then someone will have a nice gift in the future.

Thanks for the replies.

In Him,

Alan

you just made me feel OLD.... i used to have a good news bible.

Me too ... how's your rocking chair?

Mine needs caning work done ... :noidea:

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/13/1934

I have heard good words about The Message. My Pastor used it in his sermon. What are your feelings about the Bible?

OneLight

Well, you just had to go and do it, OneLight. You had to stir the puddin'!! Actually though, the question is not a bad one at all. I've read thru this thread and the one thing I find missing (possibly because of lack of knowledge) is the fact that in the early 1600's (when the KJV first came out) that translation was every bit as controversial to those folks as the "Messsage" seems to be to us. After all, the KJV was actually written in the language that the common man spoke, not in the learned prose of earlier translations. It took over a hundred years for this translation to find acceptance among the masses, in fact the Pilgrims (when they came to America) carried the revered translation of their day, the Bishop's Bible. Nary a copy of the KJV could be found among our forefathers in Massachusetts.

I've done a continuous study of the Message, comparing it to the KJV, often verse by verse. My copy of E-Sword has a feature called "parallel" which alows two translations to be viewed side-by-side. So I use the KJV and the Message because I wanted to see just how different the two versions are in a verse-by-verse comparison. Strangely enough, there is little difference between them with the Message tending to be acting more like an Amplified version in that it expands the idea expressed more broadly than the KJV might. So far, I have found no significant difference in the two versions that would make me throw away my Message. I don't use the Message for studying, it's not designed for that purpose. I use it to read the Bible as I would read a fine book written in today's language.

Before anyone tosses out the Message cavalierly (that is out of hand), they should read the first few pages of the Message where the background of Dr. Peterson is discussed and the rationale for even attempting a new paraphrase is given. Mighty good stuff there. Remember, when the KJV was first written, it also was a paraphrase of the Bishop's Bible and the Geneva Bible as well as a literal translation (as far as it was able to be) of the original Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. This is one of the reasons it was not immediately embraced with the enthusiasm and reverence we give it. The KJV held up to the test of time and replaced both the Bishop's Bible and the Geneva Bible as an authoratative translation of the Scriptures from the original Hebrew and Greek manuscripts. Perhaps, in time, so will the Message Bible be so respected.

• 2 months later...

I bring this thread out of the dust to share a site with you all that pertains to the Message version of the Bible. I found this while doing research on New Age.

The Message Doctrine & Gnostic or New Age Terms and Concepts

It does bring up some very serious concerns. What do others feel about this information?

In Him,

Alan

Psalm 23

A David Psalm

1-3 God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing. You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from. True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction.

4 Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook

makes me feel secure.

5 You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies. You revive my drooping head; my cup brims with blessing.

6 Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life. I'm back home in the house of God for the rest of my life.

(The Message Bible)

Psalm 23

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

(King James Version)

There is a lot of difference in the words and their meanings. If you check the site, you will notice how much the new age lingo is in the Message. Scary to think that some people believe that this is one of the best version out there.