dgolvach

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I have a question. ARE there absolutes in the Christian walk? Many or few?

I get the impression sometimes that many believe that to define absolutes, is to practice legalism? Would that be a fair assessment of thought?

In His Love,

Suzanne

Shalom Suzanne,

Yes, there ARE many Biblical absolutes and they cannot be compromised. We, as Christians, must be willing to die for these absolutes and the essentials of our faith.

However, there are other things that are not absolutes and that's where we get into personal convictions.

Yes, I agree with you that there are those who throw stones and cry "Legalist" and "Pharisee" when people define absolutes and it is wrong. A legalist, in the purest term is one who believes the LAW of G-d is literal and is willing to stand up for it. That's not a bad thing at all.

According to the dictionary a legalist is someone who "adheres strictly and literally to the law." In regards to the Word, you can call me a legalist any day because I believe the Word is G-d's Law and I seek to live it, literally.

Thank you for clarifying.

I agree.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Edited by tsth

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Biblicist

Legalist or legalism ~

1.strict adherence, or the principle of strict adherence, to law or prescription, esp. to the letter rather than the spirit.

2.Theology.

a.the doctrine that salvation is gained through good works.

b.the judging of conduct in terms of adherence to precise laws.

I think this is a negative term, derogatory. A person who wishes to adhere to the letter of the law is not a legalist unless they believe that their actions will gain them salvation. There is nothing wrong with wanting to follow God's laws, but should be faith in action, not behaviour unto salvation.

Counseling other's in the Biblical way of life is not legalistic either. If someone asks me about a specific behaviour, I will point them to Scripture and let the Holy Spirit deal with their conviction.

I would like to say, if following God's law is considered legalistic...I'd rather err on the side of legalism, than liberalism.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

Biblicist said 'Faith in action'.

Amen!

Guest Biblicist

I am wondering what Paul meant by this statement. :whistling:

Galatians 6

9 And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.

2 Thess 3

13 But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good. 14 And if anyone does not obey our word in this epistle, note that person and do not keep company with him, that he may be ashamed. 15 Yet do not count him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

but should be faith in action

Reminds me of what Unred Typo has been saying.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Shalom,

A good article here: What Is Legalism?

Excerpt:

Legalism, definition number five: "1. Close adherence to law; strict conformity to law" (New Illustrated Webster's Dictionary of the English Language, pg. 559). While the Christian does not believe he has earned salvation, he does pay strict attention to God's law and commandments (Lk. 17: 10; Gal. 6: 2, Jas. 1: 22-25, 2: 1-13). It should be known and appreciated that Jesus never condemned or dissuaded close attention to law, even minute laws. Jesus taught adherence to all of God's laws:

In closing, I would suggest, based on the foregoing, that the term "legalism" can have both bad and good nuances. Simply considering the letter of the law, believing and teaching that salvation is a result of man's good works, or that man is saved without grace constitute legalism in the terrible sense of the term. Nonetheless, believing and teaching that the Christian must comply with God's laws out of love for God is not sinful but good and required. To simplistically say that all who stress conformity to law are legalists and, therefore, bad, is to sinfully indict the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (I Sam. 15 22, 23; Matt. 7: 21-27; I Jn. 5: 3). I shall close by quoting the inspired apostle John, "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word; in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him" (I Jn. 2: 3-5).

I posted this on my blog about a week ago:

The fact is, unless any of us are as holy and perfect as God,(and none of us are, not even Mother Teresa) it does not matter how many kind deeds we did, or how selfless we were, we do not go to heaven. God is holy and perfect. We are not. We are not fit for heaven. We are fallen. We all fall short of the glory of God. But God so loved the world, that he sent his only son, pure and blameless, to take our punishment. And unless we put our faith in Jesus alone, and not in our good works which can never measure up to God

legalism has nothing to do with obeying God or His law.

It has everything to do with control or manipulation according to a moral standard or imagined societal norm.

Morality and righteousness aren't always the same thing. One can be moral by societal standards and unrighteous by God's standard.

legalism is being someone else's conscience for them.

It isn't having rules...it is imposing them on someone else.

Laying down lives for one another I dont think was ever brought up at all, so I am not sure what you mean by that? *scratches head*

that is what dying to one's self is Emily~Anne, it is laying down our lives for one another. And you and Bibs and Vickilynn and Suzanne, myself, Richard, Unred....we've all been talking about it.

but I tell you all that being legalistic about foolish little rules is not dying to self in fact it is being as selfish as anything that was ever created to be selfish...and that is living for self, it is pride...and it is ugly.

I myself have been talking about dying to self for GOD, not for man. As I die to myself, a void is created within me, I immediately fill that with Jesus Christ. Each day as I grow, there is less of me, and more of Jesus. The way to grow in Christ is to die to self. That is not legalism.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Can you please specify what kind of 'silly little rules'? Otherwise, we dont know exactly what you are talking about. Also, let's say for example, Vickilynn teaches me some ways to be a better keeper at home, in a non critical spirit. Is she being legalistic? Would she be 'imposing silly little rules' on me?

Can you please specify what kind of 'silly little rules'? Otherwise, we dont know exactly what you are talking about.

Pa-lease! it is all over this thread, I have even copied it for you...so I guess it's up to you to figure it out now...I've said enough...

God bless

Did anyone else see what kind of specific 'silly little rules'? I missed it. :noidea: One silly little rule would be women MUST wear skirts/dresses. We all agree that is a silly little rule. Are there any 'silly little rules' we disagree on?