• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Sorry to do three at once, but I was wondering if a pro knows why Jesus cursed the tree if it wasn't the right season.

12 Now the next day, when they had come out from Bethany, He was hungry. 13 And seeing from afar a fig tree having leaves, He went to see if perhaps He would find something on it. When He came to it, He found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. 14 In response Jesus said to it,

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  12/11/1977

Well the fig tree represents Israel, so perhaps a teaching it is not Israels time to bloom just yet. Perhaps connected with the cleansing of the temple. Really good question. I'm curious as the real meaning as well.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  421
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Sorry to do three at once, but I was wondering if a pro knows why Jesus cursed the tree if it wasn't the right season.

12 Now the next day, when they had come out from Bethany, He was hungry. 13 And seeing from afar a fig tree having leaves, He went to see if perhaps He would find something on it. When He came to it, He found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. 14 In response Jesus said to it,

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

v13: Perhaps the scene is based on Psalm 37:35-6. More likely is Micah 7:1, where "the imagery of a search for figs is a figure for God's search for righteous Israelites, and the image of a barren or withered fig tree is occasionally used to represent national failure as a manifestation of divine judgment" (Brown 2002).

What misery is mine! I am like one who gathers summer fruit at the gleaning of the vineyard; there is no cluster of grapes to eat, none of the early figs that I crave. (NIV)

Also standing behind this may be Hosea 9:15-6, where the wicked are driven from the house of the Lord and the image of barrenness is found in conjunction with the Temple:

15 "Because of all their wickedness in Gilgal, I hated them there. Because of their sinful deeds, I will drive them out of my house. I will no longer love them; all their leaders are rebellious. 16 Ephraim is blighted, their root is withered, they yield no fruit. Even if they bear children, I will slay their cherished offspring." (NIV)

v13: Jesus' search for fruit on the fig tree is usually interpreted as an allegory based on the use of the fig tree to represent Israel in the OT, including Jeremiah 8:13, 29:14, Joel 1:7, Hosea 9:10, and 9:16. For example, Jeremiah 8:13 notes:

13: When I would gather them, says the LORD, there are no grapes on the vine, nor figs on the fig tree; even the leaves are withered, and what I gave them has passed away from them."(RSV)

v13: As Oakman (1993) points out, the Cursing is scientifically absurd. Normally, when leaves are present on a fig tree, there is fruit. Thus, an allegorical meaning is deduced.

v13: Thomas L. Thompson (2005, p78) points out that the writer is saying that it is not the tree but Jesus who is out of season. The righteous (Israel) should be ready for the messiah whenever he comes. He also observes that Jer 24:1-10 offers a scene of two baskets of figs outside the Temple, one representing the remnant of Good people who will be taken into exile when Jerusalem is destroyed, the other representing the very bad.

v13: Jan Sammer notes:

The most venerated object in Rome was a huge fig tree that, according to tradition, was as old as the city itself, having sheltered its founder Romulus and his brother Remus when they were infants. Tacitus reports that in 58 A.D. this tree suddenly began to wither (Annals XIII.58), causing widespread consternation.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  04/20/1979

Hi Jeff.

I am sorry I don't have a brief answer to your question. I hate reading ridiculously long boring posts but this one is worth it. It's hard to avoid it but I believe it's implications were eschatological.

32 "Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near;

33 so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. Matthew 24:32-33

The gospels are intended to be read synoptically to understand everything that was said in that converstaion. Turn to Luke 21.

Then He told them a parable: "Behold the fig tree and all the trees;

as soon as they put forth leaves, you see it and know for yourselves that summer is now near.

"So you also, when you see these things happening, recognize that the kingdom of God is near. Luke 21:29-31

Jesus said to learn the parable of the fig tree and all the trees. Before we can determine who the fig tree we must look at all other accounts concerning the fig tree. Go to Luke 13.

6 And He began telling this parable: "A man had a fig tree which had been planted in his vineyard; and he came looking for fruit on it and did not find any.

7 "And he said to the vineyard-keeper, 'Behold, for three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree without finding any. Cut it down! Why does it even use up the ground?'

8 "And he answered and said to him, 'Let it alone, sir, for this year too, until I dig around it and put in fertilizer;

9 and if it bears fruit next year, fine; but if not, cut it down.'" Luke 13:6-9

Notice that the fig tree had been planted in the vineyard. Who is the vineyard? Isaiah knew who the vineyard is so turn to Isaiah 5.

1 Let me sing now for my well-beloved

A song of my beloved concerning His vineyard.

My well-beloved had a vineyard on a fertile hill.

2 He dug it all around, removed its stones,

And planted it with the choicest vine

And He built a tower in the middle of it

And also hewed out a wine vat in it;

Then He expected it to produce good grapes,

But it produced only worthless ones.

3 "And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah,

Judge between Me and My vineyard.

4 "What more was there to do for My vineyard that I have not done in it?

Why, when I expected it to produce good grapes did it produce worthless ones?

5 "So now let Me tell you what I am going to do to My vineyard:

I will remove its hedge and it will be consumed;

I will break down its wall and it will become trampled ground.

6 "I will lay it waste;

It will not be pruned or hoed,

But briars and thorns will come up

I will also charge the clouds to rain no rain on it."

7 For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel

And the men of Judah His delightful plant

Thus He looked for justice, but behold, bloodshed;

For righteousness, but behold, a cry of distress. Isaiah 5:1-7

Therefore we see that Israel is the vineyard so it cannot be the fig tree planted in the vineyard. Remember when Jesus told the parable of the landowner to the Pharisees? (Matthew 21:33-46) They were responsible for cultivating the vineyard but had seized the vineyard and killed the owner

Edited by David L

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

This is a very insightful study. Well worth the time to read!

Thank you David.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Couldn't it simply mean that any vine that doesn't produce fruit will wither and die?

The tree was full of leaves, giving the impression that it was bearing fruit.

A false prophet bears no fruit.

Just a thought.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  421
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Couldn't it simply mean that any vine that doesn't produce fruit will wither and die?

The tree was full of leaves, giving the impression that it was bearing fruit.

A false prophet bears no fruit.

Just a thought.

A good thought. Like the fig tree in the story, many have all the appearance of being this or that until Jesus looks at the truth of who and what we really are, and if we ain't got no fruit when he looks at us then we don't belong to him.

And if we are being honest with ourselves and not just pious, that thought must be a real challenge to whoever we are.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  04/20/1979

Part 2.

Remember that Luke recorded in his gospel that Jesus said to learn the parable of the fig tree and all the other trees. Where is this found!?!?!?!?!

Judges 8:33

Why did Jesus curse the fig tree? Because when He came looking for fruit He found leaves. The Son of Man comes at an hour we do not expect. When He returns there will be a faithful remnant who has not turned to the bramble for shade and for refuge.

:(

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

I and my Father are one.

John 10:27-30

Thank You Lord Jesus

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24-25

Amen!

Love, Joe