IGNORED

What do you say to someone unequally yoked in marriage?

Ddavid from NC

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

1 Corinthians 7 does not address a Christian who marries a non-Christian? :emot-hug:

Technically that's right; it addresses the situation after the conversion of one. We can infer, however, that a believer has NO business marrying an unbeliever, knowingly. A pastor who performs such a marriage is derelict in his duty big time.

They don't have to get married by a Pastor to be married. My believing mother married my non believing father in a Priest's office. She did it willingly against her family's will. [i might add, she had no father to guide or counsil her]. Another good reason for Biblical Courtship... :emot-hug:

Please, anyone who is considering this, DON'T. The effect it has on your marriage, and your children, is can be devistating and irreversable.

I can not agree with you more. Take His word to heart and do not marry thinking that, because of your faith, your spouse will follow.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zoe-girl

I ;a m presonally in this type if marriage and am getting myslef and my kiddos out, due to the damage that has occured by this marriage.

I almost lost everything that I hold dear and love for someone who does NOT love God like I do and does NOT see JC as who he really is.

I would pray hard for this couple, and not stop.

Folks tried to tell me and I thought God and I could help my husband and I paid a high price for not listening and it was not worth ALL the damage that occured, except to not do this again.

BE BLESSED,

ZOE

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

Folks tried to tell me and I thought God and I could help my husband and I paid a high price for not listening and it was not worth ALL the damage that occured, except to not do this again.

Did you have any premarital counseling? If yes, how extensive was it? One on one, group - 1 day, six weeks etc?

Guest zoe-girl

No afriad not, wantd too, but he did not see reasons for it.

Friends and family warned me even folks on here and I stillt thought out of my flesh= SHAME ON ME, had I listened then my life would be quite different now= MORE PEACE.

I have to take what I have learned and use it for the new life that God does have for me and the girls.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Love courtship and marriage are tough issues.

For me part of the problem is this drumbeat for relationships and marriage, there is no scriptural push that says Christians should all be married and in romantic relationships. In fact there are many examples of single people living joyously their entire lives for the Lord. Restraint and time are the operative words when looking at relationships. True love, real love will always be there if it is real, it is not going anywhere, thus there is never a reason to rush into marriage or rush into fornication outside of marriage.

I see so many young couples who are in a hurry in this area, it is as if they feel to be complete as a Christian and as a human they must be married or in a romantic relationship. When this happens bad choices are often made.

When people are in the almost drug like state of falling in love, they are not really going to listen to reason or listen to counseling which may shed a bad light on the person they are with, I have seen this over and over. However people cannot hide who they are for long periods of time and over a couple of years you can usually get a pretty good feel about how someone is going to treat you or not and if they have any idea about what it means to be a Christian.

Anyway that is my two cents. As far as the couple in question we just need to be sure we encourage the believing spouse to continue in their faith and welcome them. However I would not want this issue to be another excuse for divorce we have enough of those excuses already available for us.

When people are in the almost drug like state of falling in love, they are not really going to listen to reason or listen to counseling which may shed a bad light on the person they are with, I have seen this over and over. However people cannot hide who they are for long periods of time and over a couple of years you can usually get a pretty good feel about how someone is going to treat you or not and if they have any idea about what it means to be a Christian.

I'm not sure.

For example:

What if the counsellor asks the nonChristian male - so if you got into a huge argument, how would you handle it? Would it be acceptable to go out on the town and drink to try to forget about it? If he says no, and can give reasons, then he'll feel like he may need to hold onto that value later on in the marriage which would be helpful. If he says 'yes', the Christian female should have some issues with this.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Love courtship and marriage are tough issues.

Well said overall Smalcald, good post.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

For example:

What if the counsellor asks the nonChristian male - so if you got into a huge argument, how would you handle it? Would it be acceptable to go out on the town and drink to try to forget about it? If he says no, and can give reasons, then he'll feel like he may need to hold onto that value later on in the marriage which would be helpful. If he says 'yes', the Christian female should have some issues with this.

While I agree in principle Artsylady, it seems to me that too many are counseled and still go their own way.

Which is not always bad. There are instances in which it worked out great. Regrettably though, that is not always the case. In that which you present above, it wouldn't be hard for the non-christian male to answer in a manner that she would find acceptable.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  04/19/1942

I wouldn't say anything.....except maybe congratulations.

Maybe there's a reason for those two coming together.

i agree. we don't know god's reason for this marriage.

While I agree in principle Artsylady, it seems to me that too many are counseled and still go their own way.

Which is not always bad. There are instances in which it worked out great. Regrettably though, that is not always the case. In that which you present above, it wouldn't be hard for the non-christian male to answer in a manner that she would find acceptable.

Yes, he may answer in a way that is satisfactory to her and then possibly feel like he should act that way later because it had been discussed. I wouldn't say that counselling is going to work in this situation to bring the two apart as the Christian realizes the differences are too vast, but it won't hurt either. Anything that will widen their eyes and broaden their scope should be helpful. The Bible says 'seek wise counsel' and I think in today's marriages it's more important than it ever was - with people coming from mixed families, women's and men's roles not being so clearly defined, more monetary pressures etc.