• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,072
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/27/1948

I've seen this a few times. I have concluded it speaks to some emotional ineptness in the person. The particular case I am recalling the person's life had been one crisis after another and this baby talk in adult conversation was a way of keeping the conversation cute and not confrontational. The way some men use sarcastic humor constantly to avoid revealing conversations. Its like a wall that keeps them safe.

How sad for people to build walls between themselves and the world. But, in some cases, maybe it's the only coping mechanism they have. I hadn't looked at it from that angle. :thumbsup:

I knew someone like this too. She absolutely loved babies and worked as a Child minder so she was used to talking baby talk. But she was also full of fears, so I think continued the baby talk to hide behind it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  11/26/1958

As I work in a secular office and not the church this is not an instance where two or more saints confront a fellow believer with a sin... and I think it's annoying, but not necessarily a sin... (unless her motive is to annoy) - but I think it's more like Ddavid from NC says, "keeping conversation cute and not confrontational" to build "walls that keep them safe". She is a self proclaimed Christian who attends a church on a regular basis. She has one grandchild who is 12 or 13... a little old to talk baby talk to. She has a devoted husband and her 84 year old mother lives with them and cooks for them. From her own statements her mother is demanding and bitter. Apparently her father who is now passed away had an affair on her mother and although he never left her, she never let him forget it to his dying day.

As Artsylady said, this is "an opportunity to work on my own tolerance and patience". The Good Lord can use this trial to make be better... but honestly... well, sometimes I just want to slap her! Rom 7:15 "For what I want to do I do not do,... "

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

From her own statements her mother is demanding and bitter. "

I think that right there may be your answer as to why.

Be blessed LadyWraye.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

You guys are funny, assuming if she's over fifty that she's this stereotypical grandmother. I just found my glamour shots taken when I was fifty, a few years ago, and doddering I wasn't. Anyway, I agree with dDavid that there's some emotional insecurity there, and I also bet that this is simply a habit. Why not just take a gentle, caring approach and ask her when no one else is around why she does this. The therapist approach is something like this: I wonder if you could help me understand why you seem to communicate in two different ways? You have a very professional and adult voice and then some of the time you use a childlike voice. I've been trying to figure this out for some time and thought I'd ask if you could help me out here. I'm confused. That's as gentle a confrontation as I can come up with and might give her something to open up about. Pray for the right opening.