• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

Shalom,

We (hubby and I) do not want our children getting tattoos or piercings, but we have 2 children over 18, so they can do as they choose. Thus far, neither have gotten tattooed, but my daughter wants one.

I am concerned about the safety, as well as being permanent, she may regret it later. However, these are my only concerns, not that it is sinful. It is not if the subject matter is not sinful.

Personally, I think some of the more elaborate ones are truly works of art. Just honest opinion. If my husband would let me, I might get one! :emot-fail: But, he won't, so no go.

Suzanne, I understand what you're saying, but I don't see any motive difference in getting a lovely tattoo and a woman wearing makeup to enhance her features. I wear make up and don't consider it a sin. Neither do I consider an enhancing tattoo to be a sin. However, makeup washes off, tattoos don't!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

It seems as though I have a question a day!

You're questions are always welcome :emot-fail:

I am wondering if you think tattoos are sinful? I read a quick line about it in the Old Testament...I wish I could find all these lines that catch my eye. I should mark my Bible!

It is not the tattoo IMO that is sinful. It is the reason(s) behind it.

If we research the origins of tattoos: We will see that in many cultures they were a 'marking' for the dead.

Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am YHVH.

If we took a look at the Aleutian tribes, when one amoung them passed away, they would place sinews in a pot along with charcoal and a little water. They would then thread the sinews under the skin making patterns, designs, markings that were a unique memorial upon themselves for those they loved who had passed on.

It is this practice that Leviticus is referring unto IMO.

I know a young Christian man currently who had no tattoos. Tragically, he lost his best friend in an accident. He has since gotten tattoos as a memorial unto his friend. I have seen many do this. In fact, because it is so widespread, even now I am loath to speak openly upon this, for I know many who have a tattoo as a memorial for someone they deeply loved and lost.

Will I judge them? No. I know the pain of losing someone... In that pain, we do many things that we may perhaps later regret. We are surrounded by a culture in which tattoos are becoming more and more an acceptable practice. It is no wonder they so many have them. I even know a tattoo artist, he does some incredible work, some of his are absolutely awe inspiring in their complexity and beauty.

I have seen many who in their past life [ie Before Christ] are covered with tattoos. God uses them just as He uses any of us to minister to people. I have my own flaws from my past life, they place me in a unique position to be able to minister to others.

Those without tattoos and who are strongly opposed, will not be able to effectively minister to people who have them.

So let us not judge one another upon this issue.

Mamato, your faith is beautiful, your questions are wonderful and may you be richly blessed. Thank you for allowing myself, as well as the rest of us here be witnesses of your life.

In His love,

Richard

I don't have any and don't see myself ever getting any. Actually, I think it could be used as a witnessing opportunity if it's a Christian symbol. A lost soul that is tattooed might feel more comfortable speaking with a Christian that also is. Just a thought.

And a good one 4given1. Those who have tattoos are better able to minister to those who likewise have them. Some of us would feel very uncomfortable and thus be ineffective in ministering in that position.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

I don't have any and don't see myself ever getting any. Actually, I think it could be used as a witnessing opportunity if it's a Christian symbol. A lost soul that is tattooed might feel more comfortable speaking with a Christian that also is. Just a thought.

And a good one 4given1. Those who have tattoos are better able to minister to those who likewise have them. Some of us would feel very uncomfortable and thus be ineffective in ministering in that position.

Richard, why would someone be uncomfortable witnessing to someone with a tattoo or visible body piercing?

What about mixed fabrics. Are you sinning by wearing a cotton/poly blend shirt? I mean, if you're going to follow the law, shouldn't you follow the whole law?

Ovedya, for myself, I will allow each of us to come to our own conclusions upon this issue.

For myself: I do not wear mixed fabrics. I don't do it because it makes me anything, it doesn't save me. I do it because He has so loved me, that I see it simply as a way of saying thank you to Him.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

What about mixed fabrics. Are you sinning by wearing a cotton/poly blend shirt? I mean, if you're going to follow the law, shouldn't you follow the whole law?

Ovedya, for myself, I will allow each of us to come to our own conclusions upon this issue.

For myself: I do not wear mixed fabrics. I don't do it because it makes me anything, it doesn't save me. I do it because He has so loved me, that I see it simply as a way of saying thank you to Him.

Do you practice orthodox Judaism?

This being a discussion about tatoos I wasn't going to mention anything else but since someone else did.....what about piercings of any kind?

Again, let us reseach the origins, context and cultural aspects of 'piercings' witin many cultures.

Within the Scriptures, it was a sign of being owned, slavehood [cf Exo 21:6].

Who is our Master?

Again, I will not judge anyone upon this issue, and I hope that we can each remember to be gentle with each other upon it.

My father has just had a quad bypass and one of the topics a lot of the patieents in the ward talked about was ...if you had a tattoo on your chest would the surgeon try to match the picture back up when he sews your chest together :emot-fail::emot-hug:

:emot-hug:

Before I gave my heart to the Lord I had gotten a tattoo and it is a image that does not bring glory to Christ and I'm ashamed of it for that reason. Also since I been a part of a church I have been told that it was the mark of the beast which of course was very hurtful especially since it was something I done in my past and knowing what the book of Revelation says about the mark of the beast.

I am very sorry that this happened to you Openly Curious... It was not right. Nor is it the "Mark of the Boogeyman" I mean beast. Too many live in this type of fear.

Let us each remember this: When we judge someone for something that did before coming to Christ, no matter what it is. We are in effect judging the Blood of the Lamb as not being able to cover this one. Let us each take care to remember lest we ourselves fall.

But what is one persons coviction may not be anothers. So in that way of things, What do you think is the right thing for you to do? You will be the one who will give account of your life before God so you should make up your own mind in this regards as it will be you once again who will give account so make your choices accordingly.

Well spoken OC.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

This being a discussion about tatoos I wasn't going to mention anything else but since someone else did.....what about piercings of any kind?

Again, let us reseach the origins, context and cultural aspects of 'piercings' witin many cultures.

Within the Scriptures, it was a sign of being owned, slavehood [cf Exo 21:6].

Who is our Master?

Again, I will not judge anyone upon this issue, and I hope that we can each remember to be gentle with each other upon it.

Shalom Richard,

However, that slave connotation is no longer accurate regarding ear piercings.

I have 2 in each ear. My daughter has five. (3 in one ear and 2 in another)

Our Master is Jesus.