Mamato3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

Then you explain to me why that wouldn't cover literally everything? Is it ok to judge for yourself if we can commit adultery, steal, kill, bear false witness, and if not, how come? You are using these verses to defend a practice we are told is wrong in scripture. What about these other sins?

Is that what YOU think? Have you thought about this before?

I didn't bring the scripture up. You did. As such, you are the one that needs to explain to us how you think it relates?

Because clearly, you do not want to. Is this correct?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take Scriptures IN CONTEXT and consider the full impact of the Scriptures. I don't take some words here and there and try to make a doctrine out of them. If you'd like to discuss Scriptures and proper hermeneutics pertaining to this topic, great. However, tossing a few words out and not considering the context or entire meaning and trying to make them fit your position is not something I consider worthwhile responding to

Please, yes, do so in context.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Shalom Butero,

Would you please dialogue with me about this topic?

I am of the belief that the Scriptures in Leviticus refer to ONLY marking one's body for the dead, as in a memorial or as in what they were doing in that day.

I have trouble understanding that if, say, my daughter, decided to get a tattoo that was a witness for Jesus, that this would be a sin unto G-d as I don't see that would be in violation of Leviticus, since it was not a marking FOR the dead.

Can you please explain this to me?

I take Scriptures IN CONTEXT and consider the full impact of the Scriptures. I don't take some words here and there and try to make a doctrine out of them. If you'd like to discuss Scriptures and proper hermeneutics pertaining to this topic, great. However, tossing a few words out and not considering the context or entire meaning and trying to make them fit your position is not something I consider worthwhile responding to

Please, yes, do so in context.

Shalom Artsy,

Dear, you are the one asking that question, not me.

In addition, the only reason why threads like this continue so long is because of people like you that want to keep arguing in them.

Pot- kettle- black.

And THIS comment from someone calling other people spiritually "immature"?

Right.

I'm calling it as it obviously is.

You think this thread is so long because I'm here arguing with myself? :noidea: It's a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black.

Well, I'm away to a potluck. You guys have the last words here for a number of hours now so make them good ones. Maybe you should quote that scripture about tattooing ones self for the dead a few more times. :whistling:

I can see why others have dropped out. I may be a bit crazy to stay. :emot-hug:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

I hope that the next generation isn't full of people that simply want to discount sections of scripture because they might supposedly turn some people away from Christianity. That seems to be what you are suggesting.

This whole debate seems to be getting a little personal.

Butero, those who say that there is nothing wrong with tattoos are not ignoring parts of scripture. They are, in fact, acknowledging Leviticus 19, but their interpretation is different from yours. There is no need to rehash this interpretation, as it has been given several times in this thread. As far as i've seen, those who are against tattoos have not refuted this interpretation, but rather seem to say "nuh uh" and continue on their way.

Also, I find it interesting that you place the prohibition to marking the skin under moral law, when given the context it seems clear that it should more properly fall under the priest's law.

However, I doubt any of this will change your mind, Butero, since i get the feeling that nothing we can say will get you to change your mind on teh subject, as your mind is already made up.

The point is that nobody is saying anything of any substance. The whole matter comes down to how we view one verse. I believe that based on that verse, we are not to get tattoos. If we were simply discussing reasons why we view this verse different from one another, that would be one thing, but all I see is Artsylady calling names. It is funny that you choose that one post to say this thread is getting personal, and overlook the many posts by Artsylady that were far more personal in nature.

The verse about tattoos has nothing to do with the office of the priests. There is nothing about it that gives instructions about how to conduct their office.

The comments about things getting personal was a general observation, not directed towards you.

Moving on, there has been substance posted, it was towards the beginning of the thread, where several arguments were made as t why that verse does not say what you think it says.

Regarding the category of the verse, perhaps I misspoke. It is clear to me that the verse is not dealing with morality in the sense that we think of, but rather a prohibition against religious practices.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I got my first and only so far tattoo when I was 30, because I knew it may be an issue for some in Christian circles I did alot of research on both sides of the argument and came to the conclusion this is a debate that could go for an eternity. I despratley wanted the tattoo but also didn't want to cause offense to others. The tattoo has great significance to me and I had it put on my shoulder where I can cover it to keep from offending those that would disagree with my decision, however I have never hidden the fact I have a tattoo in conversation.

Those that say it is ok don't get those who say it isn't ok but more over I found those that don't get why a person would get a tatt will never understand the significance.

Recently I wanted to get another but felt very strongly I needed to cancel the appointment I made, it just didn't feel right and I had to aknowledge that (mainly about money but other factors came into it). I have no regrets at all of my first and feel no negative conviction about it. I may get the other at some point.

My point is that I don't see it as sinful but going against your gut conviction is not a good thing. Also one needs to keep in mind that it is permenant and take serious consideration of the image....... It is there for life. I sat on mine for over 6 months to KNOW that was the one. I don't believe everyone who WANTS a tatt SHOULD get one because some people just do it to say "I have a tatt" or for rebelion. Like anything motive is important.

But as far a scriptural debate goes......... It will go on until the final day because we all seem to see a different context.

I'm not getting into the debate, that is my story and my opinion.

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

Thank you GymRose for your post.

Continuing, does Paul not say in 1 Corinthians 10:23

All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.

Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/03/1979

i actually thought of this question too. i have five big tattoos but the largest is of archangel micheal as he is one of my heros with my daughters name underneath it. But i did start thinkin recently that by getting a tattoo you are altering the body that God gave you so i dunno, and they're not exactly subtle either i.e on my neck and the one on my wrist goes down to my knuckles so thats why i've started being worried about what i've done to myself.

i will agree with what someone else said on here (sorry i cant remember your name) in that i do think we do it to show off or to get noticed, i mean after all, why else would we do it? ok SOME we get for meaning to ourselves but they always seem to be the ones we cover up. but hey, i only speak for myself here chaps.

anyway regardless to what i've just said, i think tattoos are beautifull and i think that people with tattoos are beautifull too so i guess the wanting to be noticed thing works. so we like to have a bit of art to us, so we want to brighten ourselves up a bit, so we like to feel good about how we look, i think we're allowed, its just decoration.

Ben

Thank you GymRose for your post.

Continuing, does Paul not say in 1 Corinthians 10:23

All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.

Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

Shalom 4Given,

You are about some things, but Paul wasn't talking about things G-d already said was wrong. G-d never says sin is lawful. So, there are some things that are not included in the "all things" that are lawful, because some things are not.

Paul was talking about food offered to idols here, and while the application does work with other things of conviction, it doesn't work with things G-d clearly says are wrong.

And I believe the context shows when we go to the next verse:

24 Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.

This is where the convictions differ. Some people believe tattoos are personal conviction, some people believe they are spoken against specifically in Scripture and therefore are unlawful. EITHER WAY, this verse says that we should consider others aboue ourselves and perhaps that might affect our decisions to get w tattoo. IOW, it's not about us. :emot-crying: