IGNORED

American Idol

Treasure

Guest LadyC
Everybody has a gimmick.

It takes guts to stand out from the crowd.

It doesn't surprise me he's got the courage . Looks like his father is made from the same stuff too.

his heavenly father or his biological father? because if it is the latter, please inform me who his daddy is!

i remember someone else who had this same "gimick" as axxman calls it. his name is john tesh. he and his wife, connie selecca, took that vow of purity, and if i recall their testimony, never got more intimate than holding hands during their courtship.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

Everybody has a gimmick.

It doesn't surprise me he's got the courage . Looks like his father is made from the same stuff too.

his heavenly father or his biological father? because if it is the latter, please inform me who his daddy is!

i remember someone else who had this same "gimick" as axxman calls it. his name is john tesh. he and his wife, connie selecca, took that vow of purity, and if i recall their testimony, never got more intimate than holding hands during their courtship.

Yes and they have an awesome testimony! My neighbor is his first cousin.

Guest HIS girl
Everybody has a gimmick.

His earthly Daddy, don't know his name. His earthly Dad obviously stands by his son's decision because his Dad wears a heart necklace that will one day hang around daughter in-laws neck.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Everybody has a gimmick.

This country needs more 'gimmicks' like this guy has. A little morality goes a long way. :)

What this country doesn't need is some guy using his extra-bibical "morality" to make a quick buck. There is NOTHING wrong with kissing! Just because most Americans (actually just self-righteous Christians) have their minds in the gutter when it comes to innocent stuff like this doesn't mean a thing. This guy used his kissing gimmick to get some air-time on national tv. Now he's acting as if he may not have been allowed to compete on American Idol because of his "morals." What a joke! He wasn't allowed to compete because he wasn't good enough. Now he's using that same gimmick to dupe Christians into buying his sub-par music.

No wonder Christian music is so maligned for its talent level.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Twenty-year-old Texan Bruce Dickson didn

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Everybody has a gimmick.

This country needs more 'gimmicks' like this guy has. A little morality goes a long way. :emot-highfive:

What this country doesn't need is some guy using his extra-bibical "morality" to make a quick buck. There is NOTHING wrong with kissing! Just because most Americans (actually just self-righteous Christians) have their minds in the gutter when it comes to innocent stuff like this doesn't mean a thing. This guy used his kissing gimmick to get some air-time on national tv. Now he's acting as if he may not have been allowed to compete on American Idol because of his "morals." What a joke! He wasn't allowed to compete because he wasn't good enough. Now he's using that same gimmick to dupe Christians into buying his sub-par music.

No wonder Christian music is so maligned for its talent level.

Wow, you seem bitter. How do you know he just wants to make a quick buck? Actually, kissing can and does lead to further intimacy. What if he's someone who wants a career in music who just happens to be a Christian who wants to let his light shine?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

What this country doesn't need is some guy using his extra-bibical "morality" to make a quick buck.

:rolleyes: Can you prove that this was his intention.

Have you not read the Scripture:

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. (Matt. 5:16)

What risk will you take in order to shine your light? :noidea:

I haven't made an effort to keep up with American Idol - that "idol" thing crawls my spirit too much. ;) But yet in the course of things I keep encountering different reports of some things that have occurred, and I see an interesting pattern going on where Christians are making impacts in the show. One account that stands out is the overweight singer who told Simon she forgave him for his hurtful remarks concerning her weight - a story that made national headlines.

As offensive as that show is, I am oddly enough seeing signs that God is intervening His glory every once in a while through some of the contestants. I think "the Hound of Heaven" is after Simon. :laugh:

But what would Jesus say?

I think of this passage:

Mark 9

38 "Teacher," said John, "we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us." 39 "Do not stop him," Jesus said. "No one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us."

Let this young man be, Axxman. Rejoice that the Lord has given a role model to the young people of this nation, someone to tell that that sexual purity is cool. They need more of those. :noidea:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

His desire to make money is not the issue. He may be (or not, based on his current release) a talented singer who can make it. My issue is with his using a gimmick and propping it up as some kind of biblical standard that we should all aspire to. His gimmick of NO KISSING is extra-biblical and not founded on ANY biblical standard. There is NOTHING wrong with kissing.

Now, if this young man wishes to come out and say that he doesn't trust himself and cannot handle physical contact with a person of the opposite gender and therefore abstains for personal reasons...thats different. But for his website to imply he might not have made the show because of his "morals"...well thats just plain dumb and arrogant.

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

I don't even like the show really. I was looking for information about something else and came across this article. The article was worthy sharing so I did.

Guest LadyC

axxman, i'm deeply distressed by the level of your apparent ANGER at this. there is nothing unbiblical about abstaining from even kissing. the Bible may not mention kissing specifically in its list of no-nos, but the Bible is VERY clear to avoid circumstances which may cause one to get carried away with carnal desire, and kissing can (and frequently does) do that.

the young man is very WISE to make such a vow. you call it a gimmick. well, i agree that if you were to make such a vow and announce it publically, it would be a gimmick. but it's quite possible that this young man is simply being obedient to God, by the conviction that the Holy Spirit has laid upon him.

the guy didn't make any public statements that kissing was a sin for anybody to commit, did he? as i understand the situation (from what i've read and heard, because i've never been interested in watching the show myself), he simply stated that it was a vow he, personally had made.

sounds to me like he is committed to serving the Lord and is not about to put himself in temptation's way. you say there is nothing wrong with kissing... well, is there anything wrong with NOT kissing?

i'd say there is far more biblical grounds for avoiding kissing than there is for engaging in it. if he remains committed to the vow he has made, the Lord is going to greatly bless him with a wife who is just as committed to God and to her future husband.

so do you think that when john tesh made a public vow not to kiss before marriage that it was just a gimmick also? you will remember that john tesh was already a fully grown man, and quite a wealthy and famous man, when he made that vow. and look at how God blessed tesh, and his wife, because of their commitment! and the fact that they made their vow publically known was a tremendous testimony to others! a testimony that glorified God!

as for what his website says, you don't think that it's possible that the producers and judges could have been unwittingly serving satan's agenda by voting him off? i think it is possible. i think it's more likely though that there were other contestants more qualified to move on to the next round, but for crying out loud, i can certainly understand how one could make the leap to that conclusion, even if they were incorrect.

nebula, i agree with you regarding what God is doing through that show. i don't enjoy that particular show, and maybe i would if it had a different title. in fact, i'm sure i would if it were not for the title. but God is using that show to glorify Himself. it's a wonderful thing. HE is putting His servants in place to proclaim the truth in a venue that is the antithesis of godliness.

the show is a stepping stone. i think, if the guy continues to serve God, that his time as a contestant on american idol is going to open doors for the kid that will make way for him to shine that light on his heavenly Father within the music industry. and for the time being, i believe God will use the guy's public pronouncement of faith to bring others to Christ.