• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

When reading through the Gospels, it seems clear that there is some sort of Works-Righteousness going on there. It's not until Paul (which was admittedly written before the Gospels) that we see Sola Fide language.

How do you explain this tension?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Sorry I missed the tesion...but as I contiue to read the gospels I look for it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Can you be specific? Which verse are you talking about? Remember, the Gospels are about Christ's life and His example. He came to the Jews, who had to work at salvation. They had the written Law and the oral Law. But when Christ died on the Cross...when He said "It is finished" He meant it. After the Cross our salvation is through the Blood of Jesus. Works won't save us, but after we are saved we should feel the need to do things for the Lord.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

I really didn't think i'd have to be specific, as it seems to be [prevalent throughout Jesus' moral teachings, but the one that prompted this question is Mathew 6:1-Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.

this seems to imply that our rewards (or lack thereof) are based upon our actions.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

We are awarded according to our deeds - true.

But salvation is separate from these.

If we think of going to Heaven as a reward, then we have a screwed up idea of why Jesus died. :emot-pray:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly." Matthew 6:1-4

Remember that the Bible was not written in chapters and verses. In going back to Chapter 5 we see that Jesus is speaking to the multitudes. Of course this is known to us as The Sermon on The Mount. He has set a high standard of actions, but when He gets to this part, though, He is reminding the people that if good deeds are done for the praise of men, then that is very hollow. Good works should be done quietly withough expecting men's praise, but done so that God knows. We should look to God for His approval, not people.

<>< ><>

Nathele

When reading through the Gospels, it seems clear that there is some sort of Works-Righteousness going on there. It's not until Paul (which was admittedly written before the Gospels) that we see Sola Fide language.

:rolleyes:

Well.....

:36:

If One Feasts Upon This

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Then One Knows The Holy Ghost Was The Inspiration Behind The Letters Of Beloved Brother Paul

And One Can Safely Fest Upon This

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

For by it the elders obtained a good report. Hebrews 11:1-2

But If One Does Not Believed Brother Paul Was God's Man

Then One May Have No Faith In This

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Or In This

The righteous shall be glad in the LORD, and shall trust in him; and all the upright in heart shall glory. Psalms 64:10

And One Is Sunk

:27:

Trust Is The Thread Of Grace

The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence. 2 Samuel 22:3

Woven Throughout The Word Of God

He trusted in the LORD God of Israel; so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor any that were before him. 2 Kings 18:5

I Think Brother Paul Was Gifted With The Words Needed To Bare Bones The Glories Gospel

To Gentiles Like FresnoJoe

You Know

Grace Grace Grace

Jesus Jesus Jesus

Glory Glory Glory

Hallelujah

Amen

:P

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I really didn't think i'd have to be specific, as it seems to be [prevalent throughout Jesus' moral teachings, but the one that prompted this question is Mathew 6:1-Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.

this seems to imply that our rewards (or lack thereof) are based upon our actions.

The warning here is to not be puffed up and brandishing behavior to impress other people, all of our behavior should be about honoring and giving glory to the Father.

One needs to be saved and in heaven before any rewards can be given or denied.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

this does appear to be a conflict, i agree. until you see that God does indeed want us to be going about doing good but not for our own glory or to be admired by people or to be boastful and enjoy our own self-admiration. even Paul was a city on a hill, not hiding his light, but healing & preaching, taking up alms for the poor, etc.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Context. :emot-wave:

Matthew 5 through 7 is Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. He also told us to be PERFECT like our Father in heaven. He spoke these words at the beginning of His earthly ministry and in doing so, He was making it clear. There is NO righteousness apart from HIM and He was laying the groundwork for His sacrifice at Calvary, preparing His followers so that one day, they would understand why it had to take place.