• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

I went to a new church today, and when I first entered the room, I was expecting a warm welcome like the ones i've read about that Christians, are so famous for; you know the brotherly love type. But instead I got no welcome, just blank stares, and some members especially the male population made a bee-line toward the females coming in.

It made me feel very unwelcome in this church. I looked around and wondered; Where in the world are the greeters?.

The Holy Spirit came on me, and I began introducing myself to a young man who was alone, and looked hungry for the Lord. Everyone I noticed alone I enbraced them with the kind of welcome I would want if I were coming alone in a new church by myself.

I later learned that the greeters were entertaining relatives at a table set up in the rear of the room, and that's why they weren't greeting like a greeter is suppose to do.

For a new person coming to church for the first time, the people they meet or don't meet are the first impression, that they will get of that church; I never realised how important the greeters were until they weren't greeting. Everyone from the greeters to the cleaning staff to the ushers are a very important part of the staff. So from the bottom of my heart, those of you who greet people at the doors, those that clean the floors, and usher people to their seats. A big deserved Thank you.

for If you weren't there you would be missed....

:whistling:

• Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1975

I agree completely, and how wonderful (and Spirit-led) that YOU, a new person in this church, recognized that need and talked to that young man. :whistling:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.07
  • Days Won:  78

I totally agree, spiritman. If all I got was indifference the first time I attended a church, I just wouldn't go back. Bringing new believers in, and keeping them, is a hard job for any church. And yes, the greeters and everyone else who helps make the church a welcoming place are to be commended. I'm glad you made the effort to reach out the way you did. :emot-hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

So true, the church I liked very much and still long for was the one in my country in East Africa. Soon as I walked in, everyone made a beeline to me the new guy and gave me a short welcome introducing their name and asking mine! The second and third times I went in there, they did the same and some who forgot my name asked again.

Then I asked my cousin who is one of the pastors there, how is it they are so friendly? And so wonderful! What did they do to be so much like the brothers and sisters mentioned in the Bible? He told me that they did a study on "fellowship"... isn't that interesting? Now how many church in North America do sermons on "fellowship"? I've never heard of one!

I'm not judging, I'm just saying how wonderful it would be to have one. I never heard of such a teaching and was envious when my cousin told me that because I wanted to be taught too!

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

I have thought about the official greeters that some churches have since when I first was at one where they did that. I was not comfortable although was polite to them. But, I think that all Christians should be Christian-Family-Like in their friendliness and love to each other and new persons , older members , everyone. At that particular church, I also did the same as you did and I saw those who were alone and lonely sitting in the church (seemed like some were so needing and just ignored) and I gave them welcome and care that I could do. I think it is good that you did that also. My experience that it was not the place for me, you see an official greeter and people ignoring one another inside, not for me. I gave it a second go, getting involved there, being a part in it all I could for a long time, and still it was not for me. (I am not talking about two times, I am talking about a long time of being a part there)

I found that everything is not about a "program" at all. It is about being real Christians and there for one another. No one should call for a ride to church and be told, we have no program for that! etc etc

( I am not judging any persons, only saying how it affected me and one of the reasons it hit me wrong was the lack of love for one another. It was not everyone , however it was too many. I don't think it is only the structuring that should be focus, it's the love of God in people or the lack of it. One can feel that and discern it, too.)

I was most at home where God lead me to go to church, it did not have the official greeters of the other one I had gone to. However our pastor greets us coming as do people on their own, we all do that, and our pastor made sure to talk to us always when leaving! He would stand at the door and it meant a lot. He was available to us. He read directly from the Bible and taught so much. One could learn there. People were available to one another and we all have something to give to one another and need to grow together in Gods Love. Oh but it had the LOVE of Christ in so many and one could feel like coming home there. I had been in prayers about where God wanted me to go with my family to raise them and to be a home church for us. I know the Lord blessed us with this church.

How it was for me and my family.

elkie

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

I have thought about the official greeters that some churches have since when I first was at one where they did that. I was not comfortable although was polite to them. But, I think that all Christians should be Christian-Family-Like in their friendliness and love to each other and new persons , older members , everyone. At that particular church, I also did the same as you did and I saw those who were alone and lonely sitting in the church (seemed like some were so needing and just ignored) and I gave them welcome and care that I could do. I think it is good that you did that also. My experience that it was not the place for me, you see an official greeter and people ignoring one another inside, not for me. I gave it a second go, getting involved there, being a part in it all I could for a long time, and still it was not for me. (I am not talking about two times, I am talking about a long time of being a part there)

I found that everything is not about a "program" at all. It is about being real Christians and there for one another. No one should call for a ride to church and be told, we have no program for that! etc etc

( I am not judging any persons, only saying how it affected me and one of the reasons it hit me wrong was the lack of love for one another. It was not everyone , however it was too many. I don't think it is only the structuring that should be focus, it's the love of God in people or the lack of it. One can feel that and discern it, too.)

I was most at home where God lead me to go to church, it did not have the official greeters of the other one I had gone to. However our pastor greets us coming as do people on their own, we all do that, and our pastor made sure to talk to us always when leaving! He would stand at the door and it meant a lot. He was available to us. He read directly from the Bible and taught so much. One could learn there. People were available to one another and we all have something to give to one another and need to grow together in Gods Love. Oh but it had the LOVE of Christ in so many and one could feel like coming home there. I had been in prayers about where God wanted me to go with my family to raise them and to be a home church for us. I know the Lord blessed us with this church.

How it was for me and my family.

elkie

Amen;

The Love of Christ has to flow through us as Chrisitians, not as a program or a command from the pastor, You know if I get a hug from someone who doesn't mean it, then someone who does; I think as most of us can I can tell the difference.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

I need to say also though, there were some at the other church that were very much there for love of Jesus and I do feel bad in a way for saying anything about a church where the Holy Spirit still comes to warm the golden heart of the church in those who love the Lord Jesus Christ. Lord forgive me this. I was blessed to know these ones and appreciate them so much. I just wanted to clarify that. The greeters are volunteers, and I do think they were sincere, it is just that for me , well, although I do appreciate greetings, I also saw so many needs for more interpersonal interaction and loving kindness.

I do appreciate the good things in this church also. I hope that is is helpful to all who do hear of our Lord and Saviour!

I do appreciate all that is done for Jesus! amen

Yes, the love needs to flow through us as Christians, I agree.

Yes sincerity is easily noted. I should of put it that way instead.

We need to be there for each other.

on another subject;

I met a woman in town once whom I spoke to about Jesus and she said what do I need to go to church for! what is going to church going to do for me?!! as she walked away, not wanting an answer so it seemed... I thought, there it is! What about what can we do for others by going to church and helping others. How I wish people would all run to Jesus not away from Him!

Take care,

elkie