IGNORED

The Drug Free Families Act of 2008

Rick-Parker

Drug Testing  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should families receiving welfare have to drug test?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Would it really include everyone who gets welfare? Well let's see then it would have to include everyone who gets unemployment which is a form of welfare, it would have to include those on disability, also a form of welfare, it would have to include everyone on Medicaid the largest welfare program we have, and I can think of some others possibly including some Social Security programs. The list goes on and on, it would be a nightmare.

You seem to be confused about a couple of things; unemployment benefits are a form of insurance, not welfare. Disability is not welfare; it is paid for those who CAN'T work not those who won't. Social Security is a program you pay into during your working life and receive payments from when you are no longer working; again it's not welfare. Medicaid IS welfare, true, but it's very hard to get and pays for very little from what I'm told. And, yes, adults receiving it should be drug tested. These tests are not THAT expensive and can be done at any clinic.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  217
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I have mixed feelings.

I do believe that if someone who is on welfare gets convicted of a drug related crime while they are already on it they should have to have regular drug testing.

But...

It is the kids who suffer when those programs are removed. You have an awfully hard time here getting on TANF, you have to have children and be looking for work and ... etc. It might be possible to give the programs in a form which could not be used to purchase drugs, I would rather them do this...direct payments to utilities, rent, store cards, you know, like wic is done and like EBT is done.

It's not necessary to punish the children for their parents problems. Now if they took the kids, then they could take the bennies, no problems.

Yes...it is unfortunate for the kids, but by allowing these people to partake in these social programs we are basically keeping the kids in a negative environment. If someone fails a drug test 3 times they should lose more than the welfare benefits...they should lose parental benefits. We should send the message loud and clear that if you use illegal drugs you are going to lose out BIG TIME!

Here's an idea...if a person does fail the drug test 3 times...take their kids away and put ALL the welfare money the parent would have gotten towards raising the kids.

That sounds reasonable to me.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  217

Would it really include everyone who gets welfare? Well let's see then it would have to include everyone who gets unemployment which is a form of welfare, it would have to include those on disability, also a form of welfare, it would have to include everyone on Medicaid the largest welfare program we have, and I can think of some others possibly including some Social Security programs. The list goes on and on, it would be a nightmare.

You seem to be confused about a couple of things; unemployment benefits are a form of insurance, not welfare. Disability is not welfare; it is paid for those who CAN'T work not those who won't. Social Security is a program you pay into during your working life and receive payments from when you are no longer working; again it's not welfare. Medicaid IS welfare, true, but it's very hard to get and pays for very little from what I'm told. And, yes, adults receiving it should be drug tested. These tests are not THAT expensive and can be done at any clinic.

Unemployment benefits are paid by the employer, not the government.

Disability is paid for through your taxes when you can work, and when you can't it is based on what you paid in. If I became disabled tomorrow and managed to get on in a reasonable amount of time (which is next to impossible without several limbs missing) I would get about 800$ per month. In a few years I'd make more because of what I've paid in. It is social security, same place old people benefits come from.

Medicaid, you have to pretty much either have a kid to get on or you have to have a chronic disability or they will keep denying you. And you still have to be pretty poor. I make less than a thousand per month and myself and my children can't get it. Medicaid does pay for a good bit but they are very fussy about who does the treatments and such.

But there is a company here in town that does drug tests for companies before you get hired, they cost 8$. I'm sure they'd be happy to get medicaid money (and you are a shoe in for medicaid if you get tanf)

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  177

I voted yes, but I feel bad for those who are on drugs.

the Lord can and does deliver from addicitons. sometimes "bad things" have to happen in life for certian people to realize thier need for God.

however as a taxpayer i dont want my money funding someones crack/whatever drug they do habit. or the ability to make crack babies. if you want to smoke crack you should at least work to fund your habit. not saying drugs are good if you work for them but its better than stealing, prostituting, and/or sucking up tax dollars.

i didnt vote.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Sorry those are all forms of welfare. Unemployment benefits are paid by those who are working to fund those who are not. I think it is a great program though and support it and I would accept it if I were laid off; but you are still on the dole. Disability is funded by those who are working for those who cannot, and that is fine, but it is still a form of welfare, which once again I support. In all of these programs you are still being supported by the taxpayer, you are on the dole. Which is fine, but if we are going to drug test they also need to be drug tested. Why should I pay for somebody on unemployment to buy drugs, or someone who is on disability to buy another round of vicaden? Of course the drug testing would have to include all of those drugs, things like codeine, vicaden, Oxycontin and so forth. Then of course we would have the appeals for all of those who need their

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Sorry those are all forms of welfare. Unemployment benefits are paid by those who are working to fund those who are not. I think it is a great program though and support it and I would accept it if I were laid off; but you are still on the dole. Disability is funded by those who are working for those who cannot, and that is fine, but it is still a form of welfare, which once again I support. In all of these programs you are still being supported by the taxpayer, you are on the dole. Which is fine, but if we are going to drug test they also need to be drug tested. Why should I pay for somebody on unemployment to buy drugs, or someone who is on disability to buy another round of vicaden?

Do a little research...please. Unemployment is paid by YOU, the worker, and the employer. It is NOT welfare; it's insurance. You can't draw benefits unless you've paid into it. Disability is paid from Social Security, which again is paid into by YOU, the worker. :thumbsup:

I have another question. :laugh:

If someone is below the age of retirement and receiving social security disability payments and it can be proved that the individual can in fact work, should their payments be revoked?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.92
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

I have another question. :th_praying:

If someone is below the age of retirement and receiving social security disability payments and it can be proved that the individual can in fact work, should their payments be revoked?

That's the law. And the social security administration reevaluates cases at regular intervals.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

I have mixed feelings.

I do believe that if someone who is on welfare gets convicted of a drug related crime while they are already on it they should have to have regular drug testing.

But...

It is the kids who suffer when those programs are removed. You have an awfully hard time here getting on TANF, you have to have children and be looking for work and ... etc. It might be possible to give the programs in a form which could not be used to purchase drugs, I would rather them do this...direct payments to utilities, rent, store cards, you know, like wic is done and like EBT is done.

It's not necessary to punish the children for their parents problems. Now if they took the kids, then they could take the bennies, no problems.

Yes...it is unfortunate for the kids, but by allowing these people to partake in these social programs we are basically keeping the kids in a negative environment. If someone fails a drug test 3 times they should lose more than the welfare benefits...they should lose parental benefits. We should send the message loud and clear that if you use illegal drugs you are going to lose out BIG TIME!

Here's an idea...if a person does fail the drug test 3 times...take their kids away and put ALL the welfare money the parent would have gotten towards raising the kids.

you are right, but most of those that are on welfare and doing drugs, the kids are in a very dangerous position, and if they do drug testing, and the aplicant fails, the kids should be the first concern...... cut the aid to the parents, get the kids the help that is needed....

drug testing of welfare applicants should be manditory through out the USA....would save TAX-PAYER money for others that are truly in need, and not using taxpayer money for purchase of drugs......

funny how those on welfare have bigscreen TV and computers and cell phones and nice cars.... a lot of them rent hopping,

I mean, I have to stand in line to be randomly checked so I can earn money to gladly pay my taxes, they should have enough time to stand in line so they can be randomly ( or manditorily checked ) to receive their check...

My brother and me a while back were discussing this issue, our idea was that EVERYONE that was on welfare, had to go and stand in line to get their check, (no mail, no direct deposit, save the stamp for mailing them) prior to getting their check (everytime) they had to produce a clean sample (only takes a couple minutes to test) if you fail once, you go home with out your check that month, if you fail twice, sorry, no more checks.....

there are many that are on welfare that also work, but they are working for cash so the state does not see it, and there are many that are doing the welfare disabled thing and cooking drugs, if a person is on disability and gets nabbed, they should loose it, for if they can work at cooking drugs, they can work at picking up trash along the high way, or dumping trash or something else.....

mike