• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/23/1970

I don't believe that sinners should be cast out of the church for their transgressions. If that were the case, the churches would be empty.

Well said :)

Amen!!!!!!!! :noidea: Maybe that Sunday school teacher should have been kicked out for her judgemental spirit. Nothing irks me more than self-righteous pharisees.

Well, Paul was a Pharisee. :noidea:

And came to the truth that his righteousness was in Christ. :P

Yes, and after he found his righteousness in Christ, he told the Corinthian church to put out the man with sexual impropriety.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

That's great. And the remaining parishioners can go about feeling superior to to the "sinners" because they never got caught in their transgressions or they are just plain blind to their own sins.

I will admit that something needs to be done to sway their way of thinking, but sick people will never heal if they get kicked out of the doctor's office.

I do believe we have a biblical instruction for how to take care of sin in the church. There is supposed to be private confrontation and some teaching and exhortation and the like before people are disfellowshipped. They are then also free to come back if they repent. We dont know what was said or done in the SS class, though I would think this would be a matter for someone other than the SS teacher to deal with if it was necessary to remove this woman.

It is also possible that she was one of those people that just attend but are not members. I wouldn't have quickly thrown someone like that out of anything, they need to learn the truth and their lack of commitment to the local body and placing themselves under the authority of a local church says that they need to be taught. I'd be in less of a hurry to remove them unless they were stirring up strife.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

First I have a question.

Does common law relationship count as marriage in Heaven as it does on earth?

Here in my state, we have people who are living together, and we have some who were married in common law. The state does recognise a difference and I believe God does too. One is not a covenant and one is a covenant.

The state decided that we don't need common law marriage any more and so it was moving to do away with them, if it hasn't already. (I'm not up on it, I have no need to be). I see nothing in scripture that says that two people who are scripturally able to marry cannot be married this way if they do not have to sin first.

The thing is, not all people who are shacking up are married in common law. Not all claim to be married, act married other than sexually, or what have you. Some do. Some have even had ceremonies where vows are taken and such. I do think there is a difference between that and moving some of your stuff in with your boyfriend and messing around.

Didn't you say once you lived in SC? If so, here is the scoop:

As of January 1, 2006 the practices of allowing common law marriages has been removed from state law. The purpose of the bill:" TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 20-1-110 SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT COMMON LAW MARRIAGE IN THE STATE MAY NOT BE RECOGNIZED ON AND AFTER JANUARY 1, 2006, AND TO PROVIDE AN EXCEPTION FOR A COMMON LAW MARRIAGE EXISTING AS OF DECEMBER 31, 2005; AND TO REPEAL SECTION 20-1-360 RELATING TO THE VALIDITY OF A MARRIAGE CONTRACTED WITHOUT THE ISSUANCE OF A LICENSE."

So, old common law marriages are valid, but there is no such thing as a new one. Many states are doing this. The law was to allow for people who could not get married for some reason but who intended to do so. Such as frontier marriages and the like. But, there isn't anywhere here that is so far out that someone can't get to it in 3-4 hours. The license is 25$, which is about what a couple could pay for an evening out. So, you are right speckles, there really isn't a need for common law marriages here.

I do believe that if a couple lived in a common law state and they fulfilled the rules for the state without sinning beforehand they have a legitimate marriage before the Lord and have not sinned at all. I do know of people here in the south who do not recognise the state's right to license marriages and so do not get a marriage license but who take vows in the church. I believe that is odd, but not sinful.

I also believe there is a big difference between these and 'shacking up', there is a commitment and not just a convenience.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  153
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/02/1983

I came to the conclusion that pleasing everybody all the time is impossible. I've been told my whole life to "avoid the appearance of evil", but it doesn't matter how one lives their life, SOMEONE is going to take issue with it. And on the flipside, how easily is it for us to hide our sin so that NOBODY knows, but God knows. So who do we live for, others or Christ?

I've decided I care about living for Christ, and when I am at peace with my decisions, I know I'm living right. When I'm not at peace with my decisions, I know it's Christ telling me there's a reason I'm not at peace with my decisions. Sometimes I'm not the greatest listener, but at the end of the day I know if I'm living right or wrong. That comes with experience and maturity in your relationship with Him and being willing to listen to even the hard things He has to tell you.

That's not to say I've stopped asking for wise counsel, I do. But I don't live my life according to what PEOPLE say. I take their advice, pray about it, and consider what Christ has to say.

With that rambling aside... I don't see any inherent problem of living together without being married. However, it is HUGELY tempting. I've known couples that did it without stumbling, and I truly believe that they did it without stumbling. It just seemed that nothing else would have worked. And it wasn't that they hadn't sought out options. They exhausted their options and then decided living in the same house, in seperate bedrooms on opposite sides of the house, were their best option.

But theirs is a rare situation.

From a practical standpoint I just think it's bad too.

I'm not perfect. I'm single, and going to be giving birth to a child in November. I've made mistakes and I've done so without ever living with a guy. A couple doesn't have to live together to still sin. But even after being in this situation, I will never live with a boyfriend until we're married. I feel more strongly about that now that I'm going to be a mother. I know the devastation from having people come and go in my life, and I would never want to bring a man into my son's life and then have him leave and my son wonder what he did wrong.

I am worth making a REAL commitment to. And that's one of many reasons I will not live with a man until I'm married.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

With that rambling aside... I don't see any inherent problem of living together without being married. However, it is HUGELY tempting. I've known couples that did it without stumbling, and I truly believe that they did it without stumbling. It just seemed that nothing else would have worked. And it wasn't that they hadn't sought out options. They exhausted their options and then decided living in the same house, in seperate bedrooms on opposite sides of the house, were their best option.

There is a major problem with that as whoever makes that choice is not considering their brethren and the appearance of sin that is projected. So, lack of love for one's fellow man and lack of caring about the person one is living with, that that person would be held accountable for the sin as well.

There is no good reason--only excuses. God would never tell a child of His to go ahead and live together defying his own admonishment to avoid the appearance of evil before others. He would offer them another way!

Even if a couple remained pure in their relationship, sexually, it isn;t pure in the minds of those who are standing by, and stumbling has already occurred in that regard, by not adhering to Godly advice from scripture.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

A young lady and a young man had become room mates,

one day the young mans mother came over to visit over dinner.

they gave the mother a tour of the house, as she asked about sleeping accommodation's,

they each had their own room set up is what they said.

when the evening had come to a close the mother went home.

the young lady noticed that there was a Ladle was missing, it was part of a set that was handed down to her from her great grand mother. she wrote a letter to the young mans mother, asking about it, if by chance she happened to see it. saying I Am not saying you Did, and I am not saying you Didn't take it, just wondering if you might know where it might be (like it got put away in the wrong place)...

The Mother wrote back and said.....

I am not saying you did and I am not saying you Didn't sleep in your own bed, but if you had, you might have noticed there is a ladle under the pillow.

Things ARE NOT always as they might first appear.......

so, are they really living a life that is correct???

as far as common law, it use to be in one state, if you signed in to a motel or hotel as Mr and Mrs, that constituted marriage, and if you did that , and you were already married......OOOOOOPPPS....... TWO WIVES......

the problem about saying some one is living with some one else and being totally pure is that all there is going on is deception.

one kind or another.

mike

A young lady and a young man had become room mates,

one day the young mans mother came over to visit over dinner.

they gave the mother a tour of the house, as she asked about sleeping accommodation's,

they each had their own room set up is what they said.

when the evening had come to a close the mother went home.

the young lady noticed that there was a Ladle was missing, it was part of a set that was handed down to her from her great grand mother. she wrote a letter to the young mans mother, asking about it, if by chance she happened to see it. saying I Am not saying you Did, and I am not saying you Didn't take it, just wondering if you might know where it might be (like it got put away in the wrong place)...

The Mother wrote back and said.....

I am not saying you did and I am not saying you Didn't sleep in your own bed, but if you had, you might have noticed there is a ladle under the pillow.

Things ARE NOT always as they might first appear.......

so, are they really living a life that is correct???

as far as common law, it use to be in one state, if you signed in to a motel or hotel as Mr and Mrs, that constituted marriage, and if you did that , and you were already married......OOOOOOPPPS....... TWO WIVES......

the problem about saying some one is living with some one else and being totally pure is that all there is going on is deception.

one kind or another.

mike

:emot-pray:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Hey, I don't have time sadly to read every response, but I've read several of them. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate your thoughts on the matter. :emot-pray:

I figure I might as well be honest, I decided to move in with my boyfriend, and I know -- at least from other Christians I have talked to here and there in my life -- that there was a fairly wide range of opinion or belief on the matter. Some have said it was flat out sin, while others have just said it's ok if you're careful, while others have seen nothing wrong with it. This person is someone I love, and someone who loves me. We spend any free time we have together, we go to church together, you name it. He has already expressed interest in marrying me, and I'm pretty sure I want to marry him. I'm very happy :thumbsup:

I just felt I should be honest and share this part of my life, and I appreciate all the thoughts you have given.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  10/23/1970

Hey, I don't have time sadly to read every response, but I've read several of them. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate your thoughts on the matter. :emot-pray:

I figure I might as well be honest, I decided to move in with my boyfriend, and I know -- at least from other Christians I have talked to here and there in my life -- that there was a fairly wide range of opinion or belief on the matter. Some have said it was flat out sin, while others have just said it's ok if you're careful, while others have seen nothing wrong with it. This person is someone I love, and someone who loves me. We spend any free time we have together, we go to church together, you name it. He has already expressed interest in marrying me, and I'm pretty sure I want to marry him. I'm very happy :thumbsup:

I just felt I should be honest and share this part of my life, and I appreciate all the thoughts you have given.

Don't marry him if you are only pretty sure, and don't let yourself get into a situation of making a covenant with someone if there's a chance that you will walk away. There is a reason God had instituted sex for marraige only. God is very serious about covenants, and there should be no sign of a covenant if one does not exist.

What does your pastor have to say about your arrangement? Why does approval of man mean so much to you? God is not in approval of it in the least. Doing your own thing, and compromising your walk with Jesus is not the mark of one sold out to God. To tell you the truth, you have robbed yourself of the blessing of God.

It's not worth your eternity. God doesn't fool around with this stuff. He means business. Either you love Him enough to obey Him or...

1 Corinthians 6:9

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,