• Days Won:  3

:emot-pray:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup:

:group-hug:

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD,

and depart from evil. Proverbs 3:5-7

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples,

if ye have love one to another. John 13:35

:whistling:

:rolleyes:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I suppose that you could feed a person cake with just a little bit of ground glass in it and they would be just fine for a while. However eventually there will be a problem. I'll have to read a little more on those verses to see if Paul really meant "preaching by any means is fine." I have a little trouble believing that the Lord approves any and all methods of preaching the Gospel.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Did anyone actually read the article?

Guest shiloh357
name='Ovedya' date='Sep 20 2008, 09:15 AM' post='1257093']

So we'll have a fresh pack of "WOF-ers" from the prisons.

I guess "watered down Christ" is better than no Christ at all. :whistling:

Quoting Ovedya - So we'll have a fresh pack of "WOF-ers" from the prisons. I guess "watered down Christ" is better than no Christ at all.

Response - Philippians 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear. Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel. What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

(Philippians 1:14-18)

Actually, what this passsage eludes to are those who were jealous of Paul's calling as an apostle. Paul find it necessary to defend his apostleship as we can see in the book of 2 Corinthians.

Paul is talking about those who were preaching, but did so because they were jealous of his influence. He is not talking about Christians who were still living in sin and visiting prostitutes. That is just absurd. :group-hug:

In verse 16, Paul says that some of the preachers preached out of contention with no sincerity, but rather their purpose was to add to the affliction he was already facing in prison. Evidently, there were those who thought they could exploit Paul's imprisonment by claiming that it was proof that He was not a true aposlte. "After all," they would have reasoned, "why would God let this champion 'apostle' languish in prison if he was truly 'called' of God???"

Paul in 17 compares them to those who preach the gospel simply to reach the lost and did nothing out of a desire to "one up" Paul in any fashion. They had no party aims, no pretence, no jealousy, just a heart for the lost and to see Christ proclaims.

Paul, instead of becoming filled with bitterness, made the observation that even if some are out there preaching whose motives were not pure, nor of the most sterling quality, at least the Gospel was being preached. He was not approving of those motives, nor was he simply giving his enemies a pass, but recognized that God could still perform a good work even if they meant it for Paul's hurt. God can still strike straight with a crooked stick.

He understood that the power of the Gospel is not ultimatelyfound in the strength, wisdom, purity, motive, or impulse of the messenger, but that it was God, in the person of the Holy Spirit, who did the real work, and that salvation is solely a work of God from start to finish.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

name='Ovedya' date='Sep 20 2008, 09:15 AM' post='1257093']

So we'll have a fresh pack of "WOF-ers" from the prisons.

I guess "watered down Christ" is better than no Christ at all. :group-hug:

Quoting Ovedya - So we'll have a fresh pack of "WOF-ers" from the prisons. I guess "watered down Christ" is better than no Christ at all.

Response - Philippians 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

Question - I've seen that term "WOF-ers" and do not know what you mean by that. Please explain it to me.

Thanks in Jesus' name -

Note : it says Christ was preached, but for the wrong reasons. It doesnt say, a inaccurate or unBiblical version of Christ was preached. There is a huge difference.

Huge difference! :whistling:

The "believers" in various places were still laying with temple prostitutes, or eating food dedicated to idols, or cheating one another, or hauling one another into court, or dividing into carnal divisions after personalities, or demanding circumcision, or "lording" over God's flock, or saying that the ressurection was past, or claiming that gain was godliness, or hundreds of other unbiblical things that were taught and demanded one of another.

Paul rejoiced that Christ was preached, even if not perfectly, because at least Christ was preached. You can send in others (like Timothy, or Titus, or Silas, or Apolos) to correct the errors, which Paul did, but any truth is better than no truth.

The idea that the early church had just "pure" doctrine is not according to the scriptural historical record.

AnotherTraveler, maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but quoting you: "Paul rejoiced that Christ was preached, even if not perfectly."

Response - It does not say they were not preaching perfectly, it says those preaching wrongly were hoping to promote strife to afflict Paul.

It may be easier to break it down like this:

12 - the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;

13 - Because of these things, my bonds is known everywhere now.

14 - My bonds have made others bold enough to speak the word without fear.

15 - Now there are those that preach Christ out of envy or to cause quarreling, but then some of good will.

16 - Again there are those that preach Christ not sincerely to promote quarreling to distress me.

17 - Then there are those that preach in love knowing that I will defend the gospel.

18 - So because of all these things whether Christ is falsely preached, or in truth I will rejoice because in every way Christ is preached the gospel is sent out.

And yes Ovedya, according to Paul I think he would have said as you said: I guess "watered down Christ" is better than no Christ at all.

I read it.

I just wonder why, if they were concerned about the budgeting, they decided to use satellite.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Yes, I read the article and linked to Second Chance and looked at their video:

http://www.tbnsecondchance.org/watch.php

God blesses us with people of excellence who do work of excellence in the name of Jesus Christ!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I just wonder why, if they were concerned about the budgeting, they decided to use satellite.

What else would they use?

What else would they use?

Local broadcasting?