IGNORED

Can a Christian who refuses to be baptized be a Christian?

Mudcat

Christians and Baptism.  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Can a Christian who refuses to be baptized, be a Christian?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe or Other...Please explain.
  2. 2. Does it matter who baptizes a Christian?

• Yes. If so, then who must do it.
    • No.
  3. 3. Does it matter what words are spoken at baptism.

• Yes. The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost.
    • Yes. In the Name of Jesus Christ.
    • No.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

I see one of the poll questions as quite redundant. Father is a title not a name, Son is a title not a name, and Holy Spirit is also a title. Jesus is the only name given. So being baptised in the name (note.....singular) of the Father Son and Holy Spirit is being baptised in Jesus name. There is no difference between the two.

The Trinity debate is in the other thread. But one thing that clearly stands out in Scripture is that Holy Spirit is a name not just a title.

I do not debate the trinity.....We serve a triune God. And could you show me where the Holy Spirit is used as a name? Sounds to me if each was an individual name that you would be baptised into 3 different gods. God is 3 in one......also why does scripture in one place the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit (one name of course), and in another in Jesus name? Obviously all are the same. the Bible seems quite clear on that.

Ok you had me scared for a minute.

What I meant by Holy Spirit being a name, is God the Father has many 'titles', and Jesus is called Christ, Lord, redeemer, saviour etc. But when I think of references to the Spirit, I remember Comforter, Guide, and Holy Spirit. So I think of Holy Spirit being His name, just as Christ Jesus is the Son's name. But I totally agree God is triune.

Hehehehe you should know me by now!!! :laugh:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Something that irks me is when a church insists that you have to take classes and wait 3 months to be baptized. That seems to me to bypass how it was done in the bible. If someone is a believer, and is led to be baptized, it should just happen, not be a major production with a time delay.

Agree.

All you need is another believer and a bathtub. :101:

Guest shiloh357
Something that irks me is when a church insists that you have to take classes and wait 3 months to be baptized. That seems to me to bypass how it was done in the bible. If someone is a believer, and is led to be baptized, it should just happen, not be a major production with a time delay.
I agree.

I love the idea of discipleship classes, but I don't think we need pre-baptism classes. That is a bit extreme. At my church, the baptism is scheduled for the following Sunday, so that you can plan ahead so that other family and friends could witness your baptism, and to have an extra change of clothing to wear under the baptismal robe, and a towel to dry off with and a comb for your hair, LOL. We used to see older women bring a showercap. LOL

Guest Biblicist

We have to plan ahead because we don't have a church let alone a baptismal. I keep trying to tell them that we could just go to the Lake but so far they have not taken me up on the idea. :blink:

Sometimes it's months before we can get into a church with a baptismal.

I'm wondering about a person who "refuses" to get baptized myself. In "refusing" does that mean the same as "avoiding". Wouldn't you want the person to be "lead" to be baptized, not just doing it because someone says they have to, or because everyone else does it?

Neither of my children have been baptized, they are 16 and 13, I do not feel it is right to force them into it. My nephew's grandmother told him, "Alright now, you are old enough, you've accepted Christ it's time to get Baptized." And so he did. I'm not sure if that's the right approach.

Both my children have been asked, by family and church members why and they both shrug their shoulders. :101: Does that mean they are refusing to follow God's ordinance to be baptized? Or is it just something that the Lord has not revealed them to do at this point? Both of them have been taught from God's Word about it. So it's not like they don't know what is right. They just don't "want" to. Is that refusal?

Does it mean they are living in sin because they haven't?

Guest Biblicist

One thing I know is that our salvation is not based on our merits, or demerits. It's based on the Grace of God, and therby can't be won or lost by obedience/disobedience.

Obedience is the only thing God asks of us, though, so it should be our goal because of His mercy toward us. Not because it wins us favor, but as a "thank you" for His Gift. :101:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  185
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  08/14/1972

We have to plan ahead because we don't have a church let alone a baptismal. I keep trying to tell them that we could just go to the Lake but so far they have not taken me up on the idea. :blink:

Sometimes it's months before we can get into a church with a baptismal.

I'm wondering about a person who "refuses" to get baptized myself. In "refusing" does that mean the same as "avoiding". Wouldn't you want the person to be "lead" to be baptized, not just doing it because someone says they have to, or because everyone else does it?

I believe it is something a Christian should feel led to do. Forcing a baptism would by tyrannical.

I also feel that a baptism is something a Christian should want to do.

Neither of my children have been baptized, they are 16 and 13, I do not feel it is right to force them into it. My nephew's grandmother told him, "Alright now, you are old enough, you've accepted Christ it's time to get Baptized." And so he did. I'm not sure if that's the right approach.

Both my children have been asked, by family and church members why and they both shrug their shoulders. :101: Does that mean they are refusing to follow God's ordinance to be baptized?

If your children have a proper understanding that Jesus wants us to be baptized, then I would say they are refusing.

Or is it just something that the Lord has not revealed them to do at this point? Both of them have been taught from God's Word about it. So it's not like they don't know what is right. They just don't "want" to. Is that refusal?

Sounds like a refusal to me.

You are their parent, but this is something that might be worth discussing with them beyond the point of shrugged up shoulders.

Does it mean they are living in sin because they haven't?

Well, that is what the thread is about.

Do you think they are ashamed of the Gospel of Christ?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Hi all,

I have been tousling with baptism for a bit now, and thought I would post a thread in regards to it.

It has been promulgated by my church (SBC) that baptism isn't required for salvation.

I for the most part, would find myself in a position to agree with them. Verses regarding Salvation by Grace have been consistently postulated by the pastor, staff and congregation to reinforce such beliefs.

We view baptism as an ordinance. The ordinance has no salvific power, in and of itself...we say.

Are we missing something?

I would posit two Scriptures.

Mat 3:13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

Mat 3:14 But John forbade him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

Mat 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfill all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

Here we have Christ, submitting to the need of baptism.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I am quite aware there is more than one way to interpret various emphases on this verse. Feel free to bring forward any thoughts you have.

Respectfully,

Mudcat

The bottom line here is that baptism is a requirement or commandment straight from the mouth of Jesus. "List you be saved and baptized you can not enter the kingdom of heaven".

Once we are saved we have committed our selves to being obedient to the will of Christ and baptism should be our first obedient act.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

May I bring up Acts 16:31? Can someone get it for me? I am outside with no bible and e-sword crashes my laptop.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Try this instead: http://bible.crosswalk.com/

Acts 16:31 - They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."

Problem with using this verse though . . .

Two verses later it says:

33 At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Try this instead: http://bible.crosswalk.com/

Acts 16:31 - They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."

Problem with using this verse though . . .

Two verses later it says:

33 At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized.

Verse 34 tells us that they also had dinner... is that now a requirement of salvation?

34 The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God--he and his whole family.