• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1969

I have noticed lately people especially teens using OMG as a catch phrase or some new fad. Isn't this along with many other quotes like this using Gods name in vain? I think many people think that if its not part of a curse word that its not. My understanding of this is if you use the name Jesus or God in an unnecessary way that its taking it in vain. I had a pastor tell me recently that The Jewish won't even utter Jehovah unless its during a religious pratice or feast ( Could someone let me know on this one). I wonder if the teenagers or even some adults that say these things have ever known God or even realise what they're saying. I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter. Thank you & God bless you!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  03/20/1968

I have noticed lately people especially teens using OMG as a catch phrase or some new fad. Isn't this along with many other quotes like this using Gods name in vain? I think many people think that if its not part of a curse word that its not. My understanding of this is if you use the name Jesus or God in an unnecessary way that its taking it in vain. I had a pastor tell me recently that The Jewish won't even utter Jehovah unless its during a religious pratice or feast ( Could someone let me know on this one). I wonder if the teenagers or even some adults that say these things have ever known God or even realise what they're saying. I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter. Thank you & God bless you!

Personnaly, I think and know its wrong to say OMG. This is a form of using God's name in vain. Most of these ppl don't even realize that they say it until you make them attend on it. We had a friend who said that a lot as well as Jesus' name, we spoke to him about it and he said he doesn't even realize he says it. OK he's not a christian, but that doesn't make it right.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

This is my biggest pet peeve!

Saying OMG is taking the Lord's name in vain. It makes my hair stand up--like with nails on a blackboard! Christians even do it, too, I have noticed more and more. It is playing fast and loose with one's reverence for the Father.

It is one of the reasons why I stopped watching, "Trading Spaces"!!!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

This is my biggest pet peeve!

Saying OMG is taking the Lord's name in vain. It makes my hair stand up--like with nails on a blackboard! Christians even do it, too, I have noticed more and more. It is playing fast and loose with one's reverence for the Father.

It is one of the reasons why I stopped watching, "Trading Spaces"!!!

You stopped watching that show too?? It used to be my favorite show until....well, Paige Davis' little debacle that got her fired. I also hate that EVERYONE on that show uses the OMG phrase EVERY TIME on EVERY show; it's disgusting. I haven't watched it in over two years. Now that Davis is back...I never will again.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I agree with everyone else. I don't understand how people who are Christians can even begin to feel at all comfortable saying it. My daughter would type it sometimes while on the computer explaining that to her it meant oh my gosh but I told her it didn't matter because others aren't going to read it that way.

People taking the Lord's name in vain grates on my nerves unlike any other swear word out there.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I agree with everyone else. I don't understand how people who are Christians can even begin to feel at all comfortable saying it. My daughter would type it sometimes while on the computer explaining that to her it meant oh my gosh but I told her it didn't matter because others aren't going to read it that way.

People taking the Lord's name in vain grates on my nerves unlike any other swear word out there.

I agree, I hate it; there's no way we can go around telling people NOT to say it but I DO tell my kids and immediate family.

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

My Anger Burns like no other when I hear people saying it. And if I have no say in that person's choice of words, it deeply grieves me and I get depressed I can't do anything about it. It just sucks my energy dry. This happens at my work. Every one of them, not one of them doesn't say it. As I was walking home yesterday, I saw some kids across the street very near to my house say the exact same thing. They were like 4 or 5 years old. When ever I hear it I think to myself "How long must I live with these people!". "How long must I live on this Earth and being in this workplace".

One of my sister says it so much. She said it since she was very little because she used to watch TV and TV is notorious for that phrase.. this was when she was like 10 or so and we ALWAYS complained about it to my parents. I was her biggest complainer because as the oldest of all 4 children I have the responsiblity for them to be raised well. Well my parents didn't do anything. When she became a teenager I actually fought with her because she drove me mad saying that phrase.. I literally beat her for it, not with all my strength but enough to teach her not to say it. And she did for a while.... now she's back to it. And so I stoped talking to her and we would talk off an on every now and then. But she knows I dont like her for it. In a year, you'd be surprised (as I am) how much I talk to her.. hardly none. Don't think that this doesn't greive me as well. I really do want to talk to her and give her lessons but how can I when she takes God's name in vain! I talked to her about it ever since she was 10 years old she's now 19 and still does not get it! I hate it, this situation.... but I pray for her all the time that GOD would do something. I only got saved myself last year but never did I like that phrase.. not since I was young.

I hate that phrase with a passion. It drives me to madness.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Well.........as usual I will disagree with the majority opinion.....

Saints, "God" is not God's name. "God" is a term that we use to describe the Triune God. It is an all-inclusive term. God's name is "Jehovah" (Or Yeshua, if it pleases you), or "Jesus," or, "Joshuah (Joshuah is the Hebrew origin of "Jesus," which is Greek).

Therefore to say or write "OMG" is not taking the Lord's name in vain. Surely it is absolutely disrespectful, but technically it is not taking His name in vain since His name is not "God."

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Yep. To me it is the most defining sign that you are dealing with either a crass unbeliever, or a religious person.

Whether or not His name is GOD, it is in vain to invoke His presence by declaring such useless words.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Whether or not His name is GOD, it is in vain to invoke His presence by declaring such useless words.

Atheists use the term. Obviously they cannot be invoking His presence, since they don't believe He exists in the first place.