• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

It was just a simple question...

I don't understand why people are getting so defensive about it. You make your choices, and answer to God for them. :noidea:

What you observed was in reaction to a statement insinuating that the failure to answer a door after the porch light is out was lying. That is legalism. I will defend the rights of my brothers and sisters in Christ to their freedom in Christ to the grave if I have to do it.

And to insist that someone be required to answer the door simply because the person on the other side of it is celebrating a holiday is rude. One of our God given rights as human beings is the right to privacy, something that seems to be infringed upon quite frequently nowadays in the US and other places buying into the whole big brother thing. I wont allow people to have their rights infringed upon in this area and it is especially heinous when the invasion of privacy is attempted in the name of Christ, part of the Godhead who gave us that right in the first place. Over my dead body.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  08/26/1969

We don't celebrate Halloween , I consider it a paegan holiday. Instead of halloween we have a holyween at my brother inlaws farm for the kids at our church & in our community , where we have a prayer service instead. This keeps them off the streets & in a safe environment. We pray with them, have a bible study, & have games ,treats ect.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

From the time I was born I can remember it being called beggers night here. basically you beg for candy (then again that was when we got real candy bars). I see nothing wrong with leaving your light off. If there were an escaped prisoner roaming the neighborhood and you left your lights off to hide would that be wrong as well? I have posed as not home before (although trying to keep a baby from yelling while someone is knocking can be interesting. It is our option as to weather we let someone know we are home or not. It is our right not to. how could God frown upon someone totally abstaining from Halloween? I don't see it happening. Since we are told to avoid all appearences of evil....if said person believes it is evil then they are in obedience.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  217
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I don't understand why people are getting so defensive about it. You make your choices, and answer to God for them. :noidea:

What you observed was in reaction to a statement insinuating that the failure to answer a door after the porch light is out was lying. That is legalism. I will defend the rights of my brothers and sisters in Christ to their freedom in Christ to the grave if I have to do it.

And to insist that someone be required to answer the door simply because the person on the other side of it is celebrating a holiday is rude. One of our God given rights as human beings is the right to privacy, something that seems to be infringed upon quite frequently nowadays in the US and other places buying into the whole big brother thing. I wont allow people to have their rights infringed upon in this area and it is especially heinous when the invasion of privacy is attempted in the name of Christ, part of the Godhead who gave us that right in the first place. Over my dead body.

:(

Tell us how you really feel, sister, don't hold back!!

:taped:

Yep you can tell you have southron blood, ready to fight for liberty and all. ...

But seriously, thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea why you were so hot about it, just like I couldn't understand why they were so insistent that people not answering the door was lying. It made no sense to me at all. especially since it was always the code to darken the porch if you didn't want to hand out candy. I never believed anyone was lying and when you latched on like a pit bull I was confused. You usually only do that about heresy.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I don't understand why people are getting so defensive about it. You make your choices, and answer to God for them. :(

Go get 'em! Love ya! :noidea:

Guest Biblicist
One of our God given rights as human beings is the right to privacy,

Really? Could you please quote me chapter and verse from God's Word? I've never heard of the Right To Privacy in the Bible. I don't even think it's in the constitution. I would be very interested to hear your answer.

For the record, I did not say that not answering the door is a sin, or wrong. I was simply asking if decieving people by pretending you are not home is possibly a wrong action to take. That maybe there was something better that could be done?

:th_praying: So sue me!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

My father likes to have some lights on when everyone is gone from the house to make it look like someone is at home in case some robber is looking for a vacant house to break into.

Would you call that being deceptive as well?

Likewise, when I was on a mission trip to the inner city, we were advised to "never look lost" when walking down the street. (You leave yourself vulnerable to bad things if you do.)

So, if I was not sure of where I needed to go, but I acted as if I was certain of my destination, would that be deceptive as well?

Guest Biblicist

LOOK...

Personally I could never do that. I could never pretend I am home when I am not. Nor could I pretend I am not home when I am. It just feels extreemly wrong to me. I don't understand the concept. Even when JW's come to my door, I am compelled to talk to them, even just to politely say, "not interested". To me that is more gracious.

My neighbors are my friends, they know us, they know our car, they know our house, they know our dogs. They would know we are home by our vehicle sitting outside. They would hear me yelling at my dog to SHUT UP! [He's noisy]. Pretending to be gone when we are not would be decieptive to them. These people are my friends. Why would I want to avoid them and their children?

If they wanted to bring evil into my house, they could do that any time of the year, because they are always welcome here. Why would I deny them access one night because it might be a pagan holiday....which by the way....all "Christian" holidays have pagan roots. Satan has no power here. I am not worried that by passing out candy to the neighbor kids I am inviting Satan in.

I like these people to feel welcome here. Why? Because they need us. We are the light. You can't shut that off. I don't think God wants us to. Their need for Jesus Christ is more important than our privacy being invaded.

So that is where I am coming from. I just don't understand. You try to please God by not celebrating a "pagan" holiday, but you decieve to do it? That just makes NO sence to me. :th_praying: If it does to you, I am sorry if I implied anything. Again, do what you feel led to do, the only one you have to answer to is God.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Revelation 3:20 NIV

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

Some of you better hope Jesus don't come visiting on October 31. You will be hiding in your rooms when you hear the knock. Halloween is a good example of what the enemy meant for a bad and Almighty God turned it around and made it good. Candy, laughing dressing up. That is what I meant in another post about knowing your own kind. Be joyful ALWAYS. If you can't get joy in candy, we are definitely not the same kind.

Guest Biblicist
Revelation 3:20 NIV

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

Some of you better hope Jesus don't come visiting on October 31. You will be hiding in your rooms when you hear the knock. Halloween is a good example of what the enemy meant for a bad and Almighty God turned it around and made it good. Candy, laughing dressing up. That is what I meant in another post about knowing your own kind. Be joyful ALWAYS. If you can't get joy in candy, we are definitely not the same kind.

I like that PF. Well said. :th_praying:

Genesis 50:20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.