• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/15/1971

In the posts concerning the games of D&D and Monopoly, the verse about the 'appearance of evil' was quoted several times, along with the verse concerning us causing others to stumble.

I do understand that as far as my behavior and words are concerned, I am to do and say as God and Jesus have done and said. I do not question God's command as far as this is concerned.

But...mankind judges based on his experiences and perceptions. Paul gave an example of one man who eats meat and his conscience is clean and another who doesn't who feels the same way, but both could easily judge the other as wrong. Paul specifically says not to do this because both eat for the glory of God and to judge each other would cause the other to stumble.

I can only do what I know in my heart God has approved of, but I find (more often than not) that many many Christians perceive my words or actions as wrong! And they usually have some biblical reference to back it up. I am not so proud that I will not hear the chastisment of the Lord. I want to learn as much about God as I possibly can. I do not want to fall prey to the 'itchy ear' syndrome either. So, for some of what is said to me, I can let it go. I know it is wrong. But there are others that I am not so certain of so I take it back to God. Usually, He gives me a deeper understanding of what I know to be true so neither I nor the person who spoke to me are wrong. Sometimes, He says nothing and I am left to either question my faith, solidfy my faith that much more, or let it go until God reveals the understanding to me at a later when when I can better understand the answer.

My question concerns how I am to refrain from the appearance of evil if man's perceptions of me are not as Holy as God's. I am accountable for my behavior and I am not to cause others to stumble. But what one man considers Holy another considers sin. And to be honest, I have refrained from doing and saying much because I am so very afraid of causing another to stumble or to feel judged. How am I to know how they perceive what I do or say unless they tell me? And when they do I feel horrible. Then I have to question whether or not their perspective is Godly or not, but even if I know it isn't, they believe they are right on and I have still caused them to stumble.

I cannot live for man. I have to live for God because He is absolute truth. Yet I feel like a chicken running around with my head cut off trying to please man (having a good reputation with mankind) and all of our weird and skewed perspectives. I feel like I'm going crazy trying to keep everyone from stumbling. I'm accountable to God! I do not want to stand before Him while He reveals all the ways I've caused others to stumble!

Any help to bring balance to this will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

God doesn't heap so much on us that it is unable to bear. He asks that you do as you are able--that no one should stumble. Let the Holy Spirit guide you regarding these things. As long as you are open to His influence, then you have no need to be overly concerned that someone may stumble for your actions that are done with righteous intent.

I am sure the enemy wants to see us take this so much to heart that it paralyzes us in our living before men. Don't let him have an inch! Be confident and go about your living life in Jesus! :emot-fail:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

In the posts concerning the games of D&D and Monopoly, the verse about the 'appearance of evil' was quoted several times, along with the verse concerning us causing others to stumble.

I do understand that as far as my behavior and words are concerned, I am to do and say as God and Jesus have done and said. I do not question God's command as far as this is concerned.

But...mankind judges based on his experiences and perceptions. Paul gave an example of one man who eats meat and his conscience is clean and another who doesn't who feels the same way, but both could easily judge the other as wrong. Paul specifically says not to do this because both eat for the glory of God and to judge each other would cause the other to stumble.

I can only do what I know in my heart God has approved of, but I find (more often than not) that many many Christians perceive my words or actions as wrong! And they usually have some biblical reference to back it up. I am not so proud that I will not hear the chastisment of the Lord. I want to learn as much about God as I possibly can. I do not want to fall prey to the 'itchy ear' syndrome either. So, for some of what is said to me, I can let it go. I know it is wrong. But there are others that I am not so certain of so I take it back to God. Usually, He gives me a deeper understanding of what I know to be true so neither I nor the person who spoke to me are wrong. Sometimes, He says nothing and I am left to either question my faith, solidfy my faith that much more, or let it go until God reveals the understanding to me at a later when when I can better understand the answer.

My question concerns how I am to refrain from the appearance of evil if man's perceptions of me are not as Holy as God's. I am accountable for my behavior and I am not to cause others to stumble. But what one man considers Holy another considers sin. And to be honest, I have refrained from doing and saying much because I am so very afraid of causing another to stumble or to feel judged. How am I to know how they perceive what I do or say unless they tell me? And when they do I feel horrible. Then I have to question whether or not their perspective is Godly or not, but even if I know it isn't, they believe they are right on and I have still caused them to stumble.

I cannot live for man. I have to live for God because He is absolute truth. Yet I feel like a chicken running around with my head cut off trying to please man (having a good reputation with mankind) and all of our weird and skewed perspectives. I feel like I'm going crazy trying to keep everyone from stumbling. I'm accountable to God! I do not want to stand before Him while He reveals all the ways I've caused others to stumble!

Any help to bring balance to this will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

My friend, do what you know is right before GOD. Do not let others steal your liberty in JESUS (read Galatians a few times in a day) Understand what the grace of GOD is and then do not worry yourself about those who do not understand it. If you have oportunity to explain to those who call you ito judgement, then do so. They do not have to agree with you and you do not have to live to please them.

You are free in CHRIST. Do not give that up to be in bondage to men.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  02/15/1971

Thank you again for your help. My concern is for those who would fall away because of their perceptions of me. I can't just go along doing things without thought to how it affects those who are watching. At the same time, Jesus said that if we are to judge, judge righteously. The only righteous judgement is God's so I need His eyes to see. Jesus never once changed His position on things. He stood on God the entire time He was here. Jesus also emptied Himself completely so that He could be filled with God completely. I guess I just wonder how Jesus was able to stand so strong in the face of so many people with differing perspectives and needs.

When I was 14, I was suicidal. I felt extremely alone in the world. God was with me, but I didn't know it. Still, He reached out to me and gave me something I needed and would accept at that time. Most Christians today would argue that God wouldn't have given me this because it is totally secular and that it was Satan tempting me away from God. No. Satan wanted me to die; God didn't. But God knew I wouldn't accept Him or anything from Him at that time, even though He knew I needed Him more than anything else. So, He gave me what I would accept and saved my life.

I no longer need this anymore because I have God totally and completely. I thank Him for His gift, and His willingness to come to me when I needed Him in the form I needed. It was a substitute, yes. But little by little, He revealed Himself to me until the substitute was worthless to me. This gift was my best friend and I no longer felt so all alone. I give God the glory for this 'secular' gift. He gave me life through it. God created it, Satan perverted it, God restored it for my benefit. I'm His now.

I'd like to be like God in that way and not take something from someone when God can use that something to bring someone to Him. If I condemn something as being 'not of God', I am taking it from that person and giving them reason to hate God. I'd rather them come to see the glory of God through this "thing" and let them let it go when the time is right. I trust God to wean this person off of their 'security blanket' and come to the full knowledge of Him, but only if I follow His righteousness. Somehow, Jesus knew that perfect balance. I just want to know it too.