• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Hormones are real and a serious force to be rekoned with because God made it that way.

I definitely agree with this...God made us sexual beings, and the hormones involved with that have an important role to play...but they don't stop functioning just because we're not married yet. I mean, if I look at myself when I'm hormonal and pregnant, I wonder that I had any self-control at all when I was unmarried and craving sex! Hormones have a powerful effect on the brain. I can think of times when I practically felt drunk the hormones coursing through me were so strong (you know, that feeling when the world blurrs and you can only focus on what you're feeling, and it's like there's this palpable heat between you)! That's why it's SO important to take responsibility (because being hormonal doesn't alleviate us of responsibility!) BEFORE you're in that position, to make sure you're not going to get somewhere where you COULD compromise...once you're there, it's like trying to stop a train by sheer force of will.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

Hormones are real and a serious force to be rekoned with because God made it that way.

I definitely agree with this...God made us sexual beings, and the hormones involved with that have an important role to play...but they don't stop functioning just because we're not married yet. I mean, if I look at myself when I'm hormonal and pregnant, I wonder that I had any self-control at all when I was unmarried and craving sex! Hormones have a powerful effect on the brain. I can think of times when I practically felt drunk the hormones coursing through me were so strong (you know, that feeling when the world blurrs and you can only focus on what you're feeling, and it's like there's this palpable heat between you)! That's why it's SO important to take responsibility (because being hormonal doesn't alleviate us of responsibility!) BEFORE you're in that position, to make sure you're not going to get somewhere where you COULD compromise...once you're there, it's like trying to stop a train by sheer force of will.

Wow, you're exactly right. Good stuff, Iryssa.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I have a pet peeve with the hormone argument. Hormones have a proper and God-given function in our bodies and to say that hormone levels are the reason for anything to do with sin is a mistake. sin is caused by one making a choice against God. Nothing in our makeup can cause us to be without such choice, especially a chemical called a hormone.

Just my two cents.

• 4 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I have a pet peeve with the hormone argument. Hormones have a proper and God-given function in our bodies and to say that hormone levels are the reason for anything to do with sin is a mistake. sin is caused by one making a choice against God. Nothing in our makeup can cause us to be without such choice, especially a chemical called a hormone.

Just my two cents.

I believe that hormones are real and that they play an important and powerful role in our bodies. HOWEVER, their presence and their force NEVER alleviates us of the responsability. That's why I said it's important to take responsability for our bodies and not put ourselves in a position where we could compromise. Just because we're Christians doesn't mean our hormones stop working, but it does mean that we have to handle ourselves differently so that our flesh doesn't control us.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Just my two cents.

I believe that hormones are real and that they play an important and powerful role in our bodies. HOWEVER, their presence and their force NEVER alleviates us of the responsability. That's why I said it's important to take responsability for our bodies and not put ourselves in a position where we could compromise. Just because we're Christians doesn't mean our hormones stop working, but it does mean that we have to handle ourselves differently so that our flesh doesn't control us.

That's for sure! :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  10/23/1970

I know very well the desire to have the intimacy of holding someone you love so close to you, but I hope you continue to desire the greatest intimacy we can have with another person over that of a substitute. If it isn't part of a covenant, then it is a cheap substitute. I will second what everyone else has said about FloatingAxe's advice. As far as praying together and having Bible studies; that's good for a long, healthy relationship, but with me after having a Bible study and praying, I feel that much closer to my fiance', which makes the temptation greater. So please don't delude yourself into thinking you can have prayer and Bible study alone with him.

• 4 months later...
Guest LongBeachCalvinist

Thank you for posting this, and thank you all for the great replys, this will really help me. My Girlfriend and I are struggling with this same thing. I would like to add ---> Seek Pre-Maritel counsling through a solid Pastor. Also the best cure for sexual immorality is MARRIAGE... Of course if GOD has put it in your hearts for both of you to be together. GRACE TO ALL...

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

I can't add much to what Floatingaxe said. I will say, though, that your thoughts and actions are not hidden from Jesus, and thinking lustful thoughts are not good. Wrong thoughts lead to wrong actions. My mother always told me that the best way to stay out of trouble is not to allow yourself in a place where trouble is. Just as Floatingaxe said, don't be alone with each other. You might also think of carrying your Bible with you at all times....as a reminder that Jesus is with you.

<>< ><>

Nathele

Amen to that trusting. I have to carry my bible to work with me everyday to remind me that no matter how badly my coworkers treat me, Jesus still loves me.

Guest robbiebloc

Hi, I'd just like to say that this is only the first thread I've read through, I just joined 10 minutes ago, but already I am feeling better, as though help is on its merry way. It is good to see so much solidarity amongst such a fantastic group of Christians - here in chilly England (I'm assuming most, if not all, of you guys are in the Great U.S.A.) it's a lot harder to find kindred spirits. I managed to find at least one though, my beautiful Girlfriend of four years, although recently we have been having the same sort of troubles as described in the top of this post. We regularly pray together (alone, but I'm beginning to see the error of my ways!), and used to study the Bible quite a bit, but not so much any more. The trouble is, my parents do not approve of my Christianity (hard as I try, atheism has infected my household, and the Devil has been let in), and do not approve of my Girlfriend, and do not approve of the idea of me marrying her. So what can I do? I love her very much, but must resist my/our urges (I am 20, so there are a lot of them, and I couldn't describe the vast majority of them without being banned from this forum, I expect!), but I cannot marry her without dishonouring my parents' wishes. I'm stuck, please help!

Thank you in advance, I shall be including this forum in my prayers this afternoon/tonight!

• 1 month later...
Guest christianchic4eva09
Hi all... it has been a long time, I used to be a regular here but life has changed a lot and gotten rather busy...

Anyhow I am back because I know how supportive and caring everyone is here, and I know I can get some helpful advice here.

I have a very wonderful boyfriend (finally, after some real jerks)... he is a Christian, he goes to my church, and we have been friends for two and a half years prior to "getting together", so it's a really nice relationship that's based on a good friendship. We love each other very much and are respectful of each other. We are both serious about our faith and really want to honour God in our relationship and make sure what we're doing is right.

But we're already getting it wrong. We're being tempted by sexual desires which are VERY hard to ignore. Generally we're good at recognising when things get "too much" when we're together, but there are times when we do get a bit carried away and things get rather heated. We haven't done anything sexual with each other of course, but we just know that things are getting a bit "hot and heavy" (for lack of a better term, lol) and we are worried about that. We like each other so much, sometimes it's just reeeeally hard to obey the rule that says we can only show a certain amount and a certain type of affection to each other.

Could I get some advice from someone who has been in a similar situation, on what we can do to make sure we don't let ourselves get "carried away" with each other? What can I pray for? Are there any good verses in the Bible relating to this?

Thank you so much...

xoxo