• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone,

Can anybody explain to me Jesus' answer to the question bout Resurrection in Mark 12:18-27?

" 'Is not this the reason you are wrong, that you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God? For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. And as for the dead being raised, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the sotry about the bush, how God said to him, "I am the God of Abraham, the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob"? He is God not of the dead, but of the living, you are quite wrong.'" (Mark 12:24-27)

Especially the last part about the God of the living and not of the dead?

Thanks!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  03/06/1967

Hi everyone,

Can anybody explain to me Jesus' answer to the question bout Resurrection in Mark 12:18-27?

" 'Is not this the reason you are wrong, that you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God? For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. And as for the dead being raised, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the sotry about the bush, how God said to him, "I am the God of Abraham, the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob"? He is God not of the dead, but of the living, you are quite wrong.'" (Mark 12:24-27)

Thanks!

Hi

This is one reason I forever read ten verses before and ten after...usually you find some kind of clue.

Previous to this verse the legal egales at the time asked wh a woman was married to when she reaches heaven if she has had more than 1 husband in this life via widownhood. Jesus was explaining that in the afterlife there is no marrage...God is also God of the living no dead bit..that was a dig at one of those secs...they did not believe in ressurection.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hi

This is one reason I forever read ten verses before and ten after...usually you find some kind of clue.

Previous to this verse the legal egales at the time asked wh a woman was married to when she reaches heaven if she has had more than 1 husband in this life via widownhood. Jesus was explaining that in the afterlife there is no marrage...God is also God of the living no dead bit..that was a dig at one of those secs...they did not believe in ressurection.

:emot-hug:Yes, and so God saying that means that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are alive, with God being their God. Jesus debunked their false belief with one fell swoop! He's good at that! :emot-hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Right.

In context, you will see that the Sadducees were not asking Jesus a question of inquiry but one of challenge.

In modern lingo, the challenge was:

So, if the resurrection is real, how do you explain this one?

Thus, Jesus was answering the challenge, and not particularly the question itself.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

if God is God of the living and he is the God of abraham, then abraham is living. hallelujah!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  324
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  03/16/1964

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Je sus was answering the Saducees- those who believe only the first 5 books of Moses are valid. they do not believe the rest of the writings of the prophets and neither do they believe in ressurection because Moses does not specifically mention resurrection in the first 5 books of the Torah.

so they pose this hypothetical question to Jesus, if a woman marries 7 brothers in sucession and all of them dies and finally the woman dies, who is her legal husband when they are all resuurected, that is if ressurection exist. Jesus has to find the answer in the first 5 books.

Jesus answered them by quoting Moses in exodus:

And as for the dead being raised, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the sotry about the bush, how God said to him, "I am the God of Abraham, the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob"? He is God not of the dead, but of the living, you are quite wrong.'" (Mark 12:24-27)

Not the word "I am" the God of Abraham.

God uses the present tense, which means that Abraham still exist and not existed in the past. God is still the God o Abraham because Abraham is not dead but still alive.

I am is still the name of God- God of the living and not God of the dead.