• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

Which Bible translation do you favor, and why?

I personally favor the KJV. It's deep and poetic, it was written very scrutinously and reviewed 14 times over, approved by a God-ordained king... it is the direct word of God for us English-speaking folk. Not to mention, of all things, IT ISN'T COPYRIGHTED! All other translations are. Who in the world copyrights God's word?! That's my opinion on the KJV. Keep in mind I'm new to Jesus' family, so my experience is little. But from what I've read, KJV was made to be exact English translation of the Hebrew/Greek.

I also have a NLT and NKJV. I think it's good to have more than one, for cross-referencing and understanding things.

As far as the poll, sorry if I typed some wrong, or missed a few. There's quite a few out there!

Edited by pokemaughan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I've tried the KJV, but often times I have trouble reading it. I'm left trying to comprehend what I just read. Where as with the NIV, it's all clear and easy to read for me.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Love the NASB...that's probably my favourite for everyday use. I also like the NIV and KJV (though I mostly just read the Psalms in KJV).

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  145
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/23/1973

I am, for the most part, an NIV guy. I have 4 translations right now. The KJV, NIV, NLT, and the NASB. For some strange reason I have the strongest urge NOT own the NKJV. I do not know why. I even gave my NKJV to a friend in the Hospital not to long after I got it at a New Believers Class. Maybe it was the fact that it was a freebie. And the only other ones I owned were the NIV, and NLT at the time.

THIS IS NOT TO SAY I AM AGAINST THE NKJV. I WANT TO BE VERY CLEAR ABOUT THAT.

I remember an event that happened at a Bible Study that opened my eyes to the value of different translations. I had gotten a gift of a Scofield Study NIV from a friend. I had, that day, my small NLT with me. In Luke 3 of the Scofield NIV There is a table. Also on that same page was a Scripture that I was not understanding right away and came to some debate of some sort around the table. I opened the NLT to the same passage and placed it over the NIV table. The passage, in the NLT, came to life right there. I understood it fully. So that's my $.02 on what I think is the benefit of more than one translation of the Holy Bible. I am, I confess, a mite ignorant about the history of the KJV. All the stuff about who translated it. How do we know it was a King ordained by GOD and all? I met a gentleman in the subway who was VERY much on fire for the KJV. He had numerous brochures. I read a few of them. So I have some awareness. He even showed me that a couple of passages are absent from the NIV, in the main portion. But I find one listed in the footnotes. I do not even pretend to begin to understand why that is. The NIV says it was not in earlier manuscripts.

I find each translation, and version of each(Life Application, Study, Scofield Study, etc) to be of value for me. And, I confess with joy, the KJV has a certain poetic quality lacking in other translations. I almost laughed at the NLT version of Psalm 23.

"The LORD is my Shepard. I have all that I need."

I can appreciate the urges of the various commities to be literal and easier to understand. But that was a bit to literal for me.

I will say this, however. Format wise, the KJV cannot be beat. I pray that all translations, at one point, adopt a KJV style format. That is verse separated from verse. As opposed to the paragraph form of the NIV, NLT, and others.

The most joyous thing for me is to own a pocket size copy of the KJV, NIV, and NLT. I keep them nearby in my room and carry the NIV with me. Does anyone have a copy of 'The Message' they would be willing to send me? I think it would be an interesting version of GOD'S WORD to have. I just don't have the finances to own one.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I use the NKJV in my daily devotions, but I love the NLT and I usually post references from it for its easy English flow. I regularly flip from the NKJV to the NLT to the Amplified, then the NIV and The Message for added clarity.

I use the NKJV in my daily devotions, but I love the NLT and I usually post references from it for its easy English flow. I regularly flip from the NKJV to the NLT to the Amplified, then the NIV and The Message for added clarity.

I almost forgot about The Amplfied Bible. I love that one. It sheds awesome light on some parts.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

Hebrew poetry reads much better in the KJV. I switch between the KJV & NIV. The NIV makes Paul's writing especially clear to me.

What about the ©? The first KVJ was written in 1611. The © has expired. It's fine to love the KJV but do read through the Bible, at least the New Testament, in a modern translation. I bet you learn something and see things you never saw before.

What is the big deal with the NIV, NLT, and other modern translations being copywrited? I don't see the problem there.

Guest HIS girl

I was given an NIV from my Church when I was saved, then my sister bought me a NKJ study Bible, and I bought myself an Amplified, which replaced the NKJ for awhile and now I am back to the NKJ!! I haven't read the NIV in years unless it's verses from a book I'm reading.

Guest HIS girl
Hebrew poetry reads much better in the KJV.

On my Christmas list is a Hebrew Bible !!

I just bought last weekend a book called 'Song of Songs" by Watchman Nee - a devotional look at the Song of Solomon. Should be good.