• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

I realize that as a "senior citizen" I take a dim view of some things others might dismiss as no big deal. This has to do with the way some dress, or don't dress I should say when attending church.

What do you think of a married woman who is 68 years old, showing up to see a pastor for counseling, wearing a short top, very short shorts along with sheer white knee high stockings?

Am I being overly sensitive to say that I find this offensive, and YES I am praying for her! Is it just me?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Moved from General Discussion to Looking for Advise

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

I do not know why this would have been moved to advice. I did not see a request for advice at all.

As a single pastor myself, women are trouble.

If it were me, I would have asked her to leave and return when she was properly attired. But then, I am not in a position where I have to worry about being fired.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

I do not know why this would have been moved to advice. I did not see a request for advice at all.

As a single pastor myself, women are trouble.

If it were me, I would have asked her to leave and return when she was properly attired. But then, I am not in a position where I have to worry about being fired.

Kross, thank you for your thoughts. I wondered why it was moved as well, but no big deal. Perhaps if more pastors were able to say that it might make some think about how they dressed before they show up for church or counseling.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  03/06/1967

I realize that as a "senior citizen" I take a dim view of some things others might dismiss as no big deal. This has to do with the way some dress, or don't dress I should say when attending church.

What do you think of a married woman who is 68 years old, showing up to see a pastor for counseling, wearing a short top, very short shorts along with sheer white knee high stockings?

Am I being overly sensitive to say that I find this offensive, and YES I am praying for her! Is it just me?

It could be she has senile dementia and does not realise what she is doing...so telling her to go until she is properly attired as a previous poster said would be about as unchristian in behaviour as you could get to that person.

I would not judge her

I would get a blanket and ask her to wrap it around herself to cover heslf up and directly ask her why she was dressed in such a way. Even if seh had no mentla illness...I would do that.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

I think your pastor should have a sermon on modesty, and request that perhaps women have more respect for themselves in his church. If it is a question of dementia in this woman then it should still make a difference because the sermon wasn't directed at just her, but everyone in an age group from 16 to 90! Whether she is 16 or 60 that particular day, she might still 'get the message', and so will all the other women in the church

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

I just keep reading the part about her being 68 and dressing that way. If she did have dementia and dressed this way before the onset of such a disease it would explain the way she dressed. My mom has dementia but would never in a million years dress this way its just against her nature. I'm with the blanket idea also as well as giving a sermon on proper dress. I think I might try and find out what may be going on in this woman's life, she may be going through some difficult emotional stress or other problems. I don't think you are being overly sensitive at all.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

I have to tell ya when I read the post I felt compassion for the woman..

She must be in great need to dress like that ..

very sad..

I would hope the Pastor was kind and helped her find help with her problem and with her attire...

If a Pastor cannot see past the outside of a person who is in such need as she obviously was, they maybe he should not be a pastor..

Bless that dear old woman Lord... Help her and met her needy , needy heart... :emot-hug:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  11/06/1949

over the years iv been a christian,iv always seen women minister to women and male to males, it would have been better for this paster to have had his wife with him ,or a mature christian lady,this lady needed help and dress code dosnt come into it when thats the case ,its something that could be sorted out at anther time,by the way il be 60 nk yr,it may even been part of her problem

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  11/06/1949

over the years iv been a christian,iv always seen women minister to women and male to males, it would have been better for this paster to have had his wife with him ,or a mature christian lady,this lady needed help and dress code dosnt come into it when thats the case ,its something that could be sorted out at anther time,by the way il be 60 nk yr,it may even been part of her problem