IGNORED

Coincidence or no?

Guest HIS girl

Guest HIS girl

I'd like to see what folks think regarding the words coincidence/by chance and it's use in the language of Believers.

I HAVE heard Believers use them but rarely.

Are they words that are irrelevant/relevant to the Believers vocab?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  79
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/16/1968

Well hmmm those words are so much like the meaning of word 'luck' which goes against God's omniscience so God allows or plans certain things in our lives so if God is Sovereign then those words kinda lose their meanings except when in this world and our prayers, God works in ways we would never think of in our fallible minds. God, with reverence to Him, is sneaky in His glorious way all for His name's sake.

Guest HIS girl
Well hmmm those words are so much like the meaning of word 'luck' which goes against God's omniscience so God allows or plans certain things in our lives so if God is Sovereign then those words kinda lose their meanings except when in this world and our prayers, God works in ways we would never think of in our fallible minds. God, with reverence to Him, is sneaky in His glorious way all for His name's sake.

Personally, I stopped using them once I became a Christian!

I'm trying to find which Bible actually has "by chance" in the NT because I have read it..I'm thinking it's in the Amplified but I will search more.

Hmm so far I haven't seen any like that in NASB or LITV.

But I haven't read both through cover to cover either so .....

If you see a verse in what you are searching that says that chance stuff let us know and/or

You can d/l e-sword and the English bibles and the dictionaries and that will help the Word become more alive to you and more critical that you can compare a verse with many other translations.

Edited by Ton80

Guest HIS girl
Hmm so far I haven't seen any like that in NASB or LITV.

But I haven't read both through cover to cover either so .....

If you see a verse in what you are searching that says that chance stuff let us know and/or

You can d/l e-sword and the English bibles and the dictionaries and that will help the Word become more alive to you and more critical that you can compare a verse with many other translations.

I'm still looking for it in the NT - Amplified...although in Eccl 9 V 11 Solomon uses "chance"...

Huh ASV, ESV and MKJV use that word. Strange, compared to (LITV) I returned and saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the mighty; nor even bread to the wise; nor even riches to the men of discernment; nor even favor to knowing men. For time and occurrence happen to them all.

I guess they translate 'occurrence' with chance. Hmmm

Reason for edit I'm not good on Hebrew but trusting the dictionaries I can semi-understand why translated chance. From dictionary: H6294

פּגע

pega‛

peh'-gah

From H6293; impact (casual): - chance, occurrent.

Edited by Ton80

Guest HIS girl
Huh ASV, ESV and MKJV use that word. Strange, compared to (LITV) I returned and saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the mighty; nor even bread to the wise; nor even riches to the men of discernment; nor even favor to knowing men. For time and occurrence happen to them all.

I guess they translate 'occurrence' with chance. Hmmm

You know, I'm not too fussed about the word chance being used by Solomon in Ecclesiastes because he had written this as a jaded older man I believe ......

HOWEVER, I am more interested to find this particular verse from the NT....I remember reading it and was rather surprised it was there....although how the original writings worded it, I have no idea......

Sorry, I edited my above post but hope you find that NT verse.

BTW, Solomon wasn't jaded. He was given wisdom from God so he tried out many many things and gave us a report of that trial in Ecclesiastes. Hence the result is: Everything done under the sun without God as central worship is vanity, useless, worthless.

Edited by Ton80

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/19/1983

Chance, luck and coincidence all imply that God is not in control... BAN BAN BAN those word. Well, still trying to. Anything that takes control from God, in my opinion, needs to be done away with. Especially our words.

Just like when we come home from church and say things like "Oh, the service, the worship, it was so unbelieavable today!" .

How is it unbelieavable if you just came from the church where it happened?

And other such things.

Hmmm good thought Aleksander hmmm food for thought.