• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,692
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1952

One of the most hypocritical times of the week starts (in most regions) between 8am - 1pm. It is when most professed Christians attend church on Sundays. What I am about to say may be offensive to some of you, so brace yourselves. Never the less, it is something we all duck out of discussing all too often. In many churches around this country we claim to await the lost with open arms....but, honestly.....do we?

We blame the cults, false religions and New agers with a 20 inch "Holy Ghost" finger for deceiving the lost, but are we any better? How many times have YOU sat down in your church, and looked over at the person who wore "the best" outfit they could muster up to attend church, but you just condescendingly shook YOUR head as you laughed inside at what they had on? Does your church, or others you know of in your church's "organization" allow anyone to attend their services regardless of race, color, creed, "seeker status" (alcoholic, drug addict, prostitute, homeless, gay, poor....all seeking a better life and the truth of the Gospel)? How many times does the Church as a whole forget that the BLOOD of JESUS CHRIST was shed for ALL men/women?! Do YOU remember that no matter how good a person believes themself to be, or how bad off they think they are, CHRIST extends HIS arms to envelop them, if they choose to receive HIS message of forgiveness?

Some of the worst atmosphere's claiming to be "full of GOD's love" are in many church buildings, who swing their doors open on Sundays, claiming to be an outreach to the lost, YET blocking the very entrance into Heaven for many! I fear that many of us professed Christians have gotten so "heavy" on the knowledge of the Bible, that in truth we've FORGOTTEN what real spiritual love is. Now.....I'm NOT "preaching" hate and discontent here. No....there are some very solid churches out here, and it would be unfair for me to stigmatize them all. But more than the building called "church", I am speaking about the Believers, who claim to be a part of the spiritual Body of CHRIST on this earth. Some of us need to be ashamed of ourselves.

We put on a good act and claim to be loving others "with the love of the LORD". But ask YOURSELF.....do you really??! OR....are YOU putting on an "act"? Only YOU and the LORD know for sure. Whether it's racial or personal prejudices that hinder you....or, a false outer display of something really not in your heart, these all handicap your outreach to the lost. I live now in what is known as part of the "Bible-Belt" in the southeast, and I can tell you, I have seen just about every kind of local church in Christiandom here. I'd be a phony/fake if I wrote to you here saying I have been to them all. I haven't. But to a great many of them! And quite a few have shown a lot of hard heartedness, and an attitude of wanting only "their kind" in attendence. How sad it will be for many of us when our LORD/SAVIOUR returns to take us home, BUT FIRST, before HIS Judgement Seat (2 Corinthians 5:9-10).

I know it's sad, some of what I've written here. But it is the truth, and in the Christian life we have to maintain a balance of truth/honesty with our faith, if people are going to see the reality of the Christian life. It is IMPOSSIBLE to live it, WITHOUT the help/guidance of the HOLY SPIRIT. Your true Christianity has nothing to do with your local church building. It has EVERYTHING to do with what YOU bring to the table. Remove the building and you still have an assemblage of people. Some have accepted CHRIST as their SAVIOUR, but not LORD (of their life). Some have accepted CHRIST as both LORD & SAVIOUR. But then there is also those who have done neither.

Some of us are broken people, who understand what the sinner in Luke 18:13 was going through. We are in fellowship, because we are thankful for what the LORD has done in our lives, and have humbled ourselves before GOD and others. Imperfect as we are, we have no basis for pride or self-righteousness with anyone. Through spiritual growth/maturity, we learn how to distinguish the difference between mercy and confrontations. The HOLY SPIRIT becomes our TEACHER in ALL things.

The daily issues of life, if allowed to, can become "excess baggage" that many bring to the local churches with them. Unfortunately in many cases some attitudes are developed from such that impact one or more fellow Believers or church attendees in negative ways. Sound Biblical thinking and fellowship can make a positive impact vice a negative one in these disappointments (work, home life, etc).

When you have a small or large number of negative attitudes in the local assembly, believe it or not, it could cause the entire image of the church to be perceived in the wrong manner by others outside of it, ESPECIALLY the unsaved seeker. Our FATHER cannot bless a congregation, who members practice barren discriminant attitudes. When this type of attitude is seen or felt, it should be questioned/addressed. In a timely, gentle way we need to remind one another to remember the LORD and the purpose of our calling into the Body of CHRIST. The church was never meant to be a place of gathering for only white men, black men, asian men, or hispanic men. It is for all men and women, who LOVE the LORD JESUS CHRIST. HE came to save sinners, and this is the attitude YOU and I are commanded to reflect. HE did not come to save "good people". The church should meet the needs of hurting people, not "healthy" ones.

The lost desperately need the Church. Our FATHER has given YOU and I a special ability to communicate the message of what HIS SON, JESUS CHRIST has done for the salvation of mankind. The Church has the responsibility of spreading the Gospel throughout the ENTIRE world (Matthew 28:19-20). When people come to your and my church, regardless who and what they are, they should see the love of CHRIST genuinely through our actions. YOU should be part of a church that DOES NOT maintain a "form of godliness", while DENYING our FATHER's power. If your church wants membership on the basis of a person's material "well-being", rather than dependence on the LORD, YOU should be questioning it. When others walk into YOUR church, there should be an atmosphere of genuine LOVE for CHRIST, and HONORS HIS Word, even in the worst environment. The atmosphere should also be one in which there are no "illicit" things going on, known by YOU, which haven't been addressed. But, try to be honest with YOURSELF and always try to remember.....there is NO PERFECT CHURCH. If it is, it changes once YOU go there! We are IMPERFECT people attending IMPERFECT churches in need of the PERFECT SAVIOUR. Our "PERFECTION" is NOT (as I said earlier) in a building, but in our LORD/SAVIOUR, WHO has made YOU and I a part of HIS Spiritual BODY of BELIEVERS. THAT....is the REAL CHURCH!! In HIM, we are whole and complete (Colossians 1:28).

So next Sunday when YOU attend your local church, regardless of the name of the denomination (or non-denominational) think about the spiritual BODY of Believers you belong to (not the local church membership), and how the MASTER took you and others like me from a broken, imperfect, troubled and lost past; unconcerned about race, color or creed, and gave YOU and I, ETERNAL LIFE through the shedding of HIS Blood as an UNDESERVED Gift (Ephesians 2:8-9) ......and has (and will) continued to protect us from the Enemy of the world as long as we walk this "road of life". Before 8am-1pm, humble YOURSELF before HIS Throne of Grace, and ask HIM to purge YOUR heart/mind of everything that is Un-CHRIST-like...unkind, disrespectful, high-minded, spiritually hard-hearted, hurtful and racially/personally prejudice or reflecting bigotry that disgraces the holy Name of our LORD/SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST.

REMEMBER WHO YOU belong to!

**John 13:34-35....17:23; Romans 12:9-10; 1 John 3:18;....4:10; Colossians 3:12-13; Ephesians 2:4-7; Hebrews 13:2**

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest aka_mary

I tend to not look at 'buildings' as the church, but more literally the body of Christ as the church. I personally go to 'church' on Sunday to be filled, so that I can go out into the community and reach the lost and hurting. My experience is that, that is where they are...not in the 'church' anyway.

Every church has issues, and problems. It is perhaps where the enemy spends most of his time. God help us. Thanks for the reminder to always seek the Lord to show me my heart, and to intercede for of all the saints.

Blessings,

Karen

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

I left the church for many years because of this kind of thing. Growing up, my parents were part of the 'in' group at church and the poor or those who didn't dress right were never invited to the home functions or private dinners. I could give you some examples that I vividly remember, but will spare you the details. When I turned 18, I abandoned God for many years - part of the reason was because I saw such hypocracy and knew that the 'important' church goers were not following the example of Christ.

Parents: Watch the example you are showing to your children.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

I must say growing up i was in a church like the ones you are describing above..( i wont mention denomintation as to insult anybody) but i have been fortunate in recent growth as a Christian to have found a church that accepts everyone and anyone that walks through its doors the same as the members who have been there for 20+ yrs... Yes its nice to dress in you best outfit for church and get all prettied up so you can go compare close with everyone right? lol really tho i dont believe God cares wht we are wearing when we come to his house for worship.. most of the time a attend in semi casual clothing... I feel he would much rather have us confortable and paying attention to the word then itching our necks all through service cause of hte dang collar on the dress shirt we wore... just my 2 cents

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

I only wish I knew how to get a picture to post on here, cause i would show some of the people that attend here.....

oh well,

we have people wearing cutoffs and tanktops, to three piece business suites...

we have former drug dealers, and current users working on quiting, we have lawyers, police officers ( arresting officers and those that they have arrested ), you name it we have them, we have airline pilots sitting next to disabled sharing hymn books, praising and worshipping together....

little kids, and big kids and also the elderly all sitting together....

we have a family from Africa, and they live next door to the Pastor, we have people from Colorado, that have come here trying to start their lives over, and found a home here, we have Native American, Irish, Greek, you name it we have it, we have baptist, presbyterian, catholic, apiscapalian(sp), all sorts

people that raise their hands in worship, others hands in pockets, tongue speakers, and non-tongue speakers......

the people here are Spirit Filled, God Fearing, God Loving, Jesus Believing people....

I understand what you are saying, seems that if some one is not like ourselves then they dont fit in.... really too bad people are that way, but we all will have to answer for our actions and inactions when we stand before the Lord with an account of our lives.....

mike

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

:o:o Right on WISDOM!!

I live in a rural community in the Southeast smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt and my experience is the same as yours. It is sad...real sad brother.

You made one statement that I can personally testify to:

Our FATHER cannot bless a congregation, who members practice barren discriminant attitudes.
You just described my church. So many times I thought of leaving but the Holy Spirit reminded me that change must come from within. He placed us in this church for HIS purpose. We have been members of this church for over ten years and it is changing slowly. We have only one black man who worships with us and after 5 years, he was finally asked to join our membership. Joe is a good friend of mine and has worked with me in the jail. He is thinking about it. It's a slow start but a starting point nevertheless.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

THOSE VERY ONES THAT YOU LOOK DOWN YOUR NOSE AT, MAY BE ENTERING THE KINGDOM BEFORE YOU!!!!

And on the flipside, another revelation..........my husband CAN freely and openly preach the gospel of repenting and receiving Jesus, at a homeless shelter, and find less contention from the congregation there, than in most neighborhood congregations.........because they have grown fat and sleek and do not want to hear a message regarding blatant sin and repentance......yet those at the shelter are getting saved, because they believe the gospel and repent of their sins, to take hold of Jesus Christ to set them free!

hmmmm........has the corporate church grown INTOLERANT OF THE MESSAGE OF REPENTANCE???

Matthew 21:28 "But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, 'Son, go, work today in my vineyard.' 29 He answered and said, 'I will not,' but afterward he regretted it and went. 30 Then he came to the second and said likewise. And he answered and said, 'I go, sir,' but he did not go. 31 Which of the two did the will of his father?" They said to Him, "The first." Jesus said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you. 32 For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him; but tax collectors and harlots believed him; and when you saw it, you did not afterward relent and believe him.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

My first non-Catholic experience was in a place called, "The Good Thief Coffee House"....an organization which was formed by the local Baptist Church because the older members didn't want the grubby-looking, long-haired hippies and biker-types in their church.

They managed to find an older couple who were not only willing to minister to these kids at the coffee house but they also took in indigents and runaways into their very own house and clothed and fed them. They did far more than their church ever asked of them.

I was attending a local church here that was full of bikers and unchurched persons...men with hair down to their middle backs and in black leather and tatoos.

I thought it was kinda cool; I loved it. My hubby wasn't real keen on the idea - since he was a new believer but much older.

I think the Lord is patient with the elderly. I agree with you Wisdom but I also know since I'm married to a senior and also considerly older than myself, how hard it is for them to adjust to things.

They came from a totally different generation with different cultural mores. I have simply tried to understand with compassion those who are struggling to accept and embrace those who are different from themselves.

For what it's worth, I'm perfectly okay with fellowshipping with oddballs...I was ONE OF THEM! :o

My poor husband, on the other...I have learned - just came from a very, very conservative generation. Life was extremely different for them.

There's 35 years difference between my husband and me and I've learned there are a lot of differences in our levels of tolerance and patience towards things new or different.

I think God is patient toward those seniors who have trouble embracing those who are different...particularly young people. When people get older, they just get grumpier and less tolerant. I don't know why...:o

I hope my perspective will shed a little understanding on those who are less tolerant and less patient with young people. Some of them just have a very hard time adjusting to the changing times because they came from a very different school of thought...and a very different era.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

One thing I have learned...is that God is not only patient toward the "head-bangers", gang-bangers and bikers who show up at a church...He's also equally patient toward those very conservation and grumpy old folks.

I have a spot in my heart for them...I guess so, I married an older man. I've just come to understand, by the grace of God, how to be patient...not only with the "non-traditional" church attendees...but also the poor souls who struggle to be more accepting.

That's their cross.

I hope that those in ministry and who are established believers are more patient but again, I've learned that just as the junkies and gang members are unique in their own sin, so are those who are struggling to love them.

It really depends on where any person is in their walk with Christ.

I am disgusted when people my age or younger are on a "trip" and think they're too good to associate with the unchurched masses who show up at the door.

I do have a special understanding of the elderly now, however...and have learned to be patient. This is a very different world than what they grew up with and they are struggling with culture shock....

I know if Eric reads this, he'll definitely agree. It was a very different world that he grew up in and my husband has the same challenge in his walk.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,692
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  12/31/1952

Every church has issues, and problems. It is perhaps where the enemy spends most of his time. God help us.

Oh Karen, Karen, KAREN!! :o

YOU are sooooooooo right. I wish so often that many Christians would understand this. The Enemy has been at this business of causing problems WITHIN the church for a long time. He was there at its inception.

Which is why it is imperative for Christians to understand our personal walk with CHRIST, and the importance of allowing the HOLY SPIRIT to lead us in ALL things, 365 days a year - 24/7. It doesn't all begin on Sundays (our relationship with GOD)....but for those who think it does, THAT (Satan entering the church with them) appears many times to be his most active day!