• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

What do these verses mean:

Col 1:20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

2 Corinthians 5:19

that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

Any ideas?

Legoman

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Col 1:20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

Any ideas?

Legoman

God had to make us acceptable...He reconciled us (the saved) to Himself through the blood of Jesus who, remember, died for us... thus giving us eternal life through Him. :bored-1:

Any ideas?

Legoman

God had to make us acceptable...He reconciled us (the saved) to Himself through the blood of Jesus who, remember, died for us... thus giving us eternal life through Him. :emot-cheering:

Yes I agree God is/will be reconciling us.

Why do the above verses say "all things" and "the world"? God is going to reconcile all things and the world to himself. Would that not only includes believers, but unbelievers? And how would this reconciliation take place?

Legoman

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Any ideas?

Legoman

God had to make us acceptable...He reconciled us (the saved) to Himself through the blood of Jesus who, remember, died for us... thus giving us eternal life through Him. :emot-cheering:

Yes I agree God is/will be reconciling us.

Why do the above verses say "all things" and "the world"? God is going to reconcile all things and the world to himself. Would that not only includes believers, but unbelievers? And how would this reconciliation take place?

Legoman

This would be where I would defer to someone better versed in Scripture than I......there are quite a few here. :blink:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

The reconciliation is through the blood of his cross. The sacrifice of Christ Jesus makes us acceptable before the Father. Not everyone will believe, therefore the reconciliation is only to the Believers. God will not save those who reject the sacrifice of His Son (Hebrews 10). Many are called, few are chosen.

God reconciles both situations to himself. The blood can be salvation or judgment. Salvation to Believers; judgment to unbelievers in terms of their failure to believe.

Edited by Bold Believer

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Any ideas?

Legoman

The all things in Colossians speaks of all-types of things (not just people). it includes creation, heaven, people etc. It is all-encompassing

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

The word in 2Cor 5 for reconciling is katallasso, meaning to exchange something (like coins). Christ is exchanging Himself for us, the Holy for the profane, the Good for the evil. Those who fail to accept the terms of the exchange cannot be reconciled. There is no such thing as universal salvation.

In the Colossians verse, the stronger word apokatallasso is used, meaning to completely reconcile. Given the remainder of the verse

we can conclude that reconciliation doesn't necessarily mean salvation, but reconciling to the situation. He is making peace with the fact that the blood of Christ reconciles everything, one way or another. I can reconcile myself to the fact for example that some people simply won't get saved and that there is nothing I can do about it. All I am is a bearer of the message.

Edited by Bold Believer

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  62

Adam believed the word of the serpent. Abraham believed the Word of God. Whoever BELIEVES in Him (the Word of God) shall not perish. Bav' el (Babel) means gate of God. Either accept the true gate given by God or build your own tower through human endeavor and be confounded. Son of Seth or son of Cain. Salvation not universal.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  62

Son of Ishmael (son of human endeavor) or son of Isaac (son of the promise and provision of God). Son of Esau (not too interested in inheriting the Kingdom of God) or son of Jacob (desperately want it). Salvation not universal.

These verses are relevant to your statement on salvation.

Luke 3:6 And all mankind will see God's salvation.

Isaiah 45:22 "Turn to me and be saved,

all you ends of the earth; ... "

Isaiah 45:23 By myself I have sworn,

my mouth has uttered in all integrity

a word that will not be revoked:

Before me every knee will bow;

by me every tongue will swear.

1 John 4:14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.

1 John 2:2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

John 4:42 They said to the woman, "We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world."

Romans 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost."

Matt 19

25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?"

26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

And of course don't forget the verses in the original post that say God is reconciling all things to himself.

Sounds like Jesus came to save all.

Legoman