• Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Emerging Church Movement Threatens Church Foundation, Says Pastor

By Eric Young

Christian Post Reporter

Sat, Jan. 24 2009 09:38 AM EST

The Emerging Church movement is seeking to revitalize the faith but may infect an entire generation with a philosophy that kills it, according a Reformed Presbyterian pastor and theologian.

"If churches embracing the principle of Sola Scriptura (by Scripture alone) fail to understand and address the concerns voiced in the Emerging Church conversation, we may lose an entire generation of professing believers,

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

I must be really sheltered. Although I have seen it mentioned here a couple of times, I don't really know anything about the Emerging church movement. So I have a couple of questions as I am new to my area and am looking for a new church. :th_praying:

1 What denomination are they under? Or do they come in all denominatios?

2 What kind of teaching should I be warned about?

3 How exactly are they contrary to the Word of God?

Sorry if these sound like silly questions, but to be fore warned is to be fore armed.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I was just looking at a few post under the article, and there was some that said the Emerging Church is being mixed up with the Emergent Church.

Hmmm . . . I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing this out!

I was wondering if i should just delete the thread. But then again, it could develop into an interesting discussion to understand these different things and what they mean.

I guess reading this article might be a good place to start:

Five Streams of the Emerging Church

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Gimme that OLD time religion

If it was good enough for my grandma it's good enough for me.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

I must be really sheltered. Although I have seen it mentioned here a couple of times, I don't really know anything about the Emerging church movement. So I have a couple of questions as I am new to my area and am looking for a new church. :thumbsup:

Sorry if these sound like silly questions, but to be fore warned is to be fore armed.

Honestly sis, it is best to look it up yourself. I was just looking at a few post under the article, and there was some that said the Emerging Church is being mixed up with the Emergent Church. I guess like Christians may get lumped with those who protest funerals. Most often many people have no idea what they are talking about. They speak off of hearsay, without any actual evidence. Sadly,this is what it is becomeing. You want to know why apostosy happens? It is because love grows cold. Eyes are taken off of Christ, and set on men. We forget our tounges are our most dangerous weapons, and speak with graceless, unsalted words. Sis, your questions are not silly, but be careful. Some of the information that you may recieve may be from those you have placed themselves in Christ seat.

Thanks ruck1b for the advice. I went back to nebs link and read the posts at the bottom. And it's exactly as you said, alot of back and forth accusations with no concrete evidence. I will definately look it up for myself. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

You know that sounds all fine and dandy, but I would rather just take Christ. There were many who wanted to keep their "old time religion" when He walked the earth, but old does not make it Him.

Gimme that old time religion is all about Christ, that was my point. I don't remember all the words to this hymn, but it is about focusing on Christ.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

I must be really sheltered. Although I have seen it mentioned here a couple of times, I don't really know anything about the Emerging church movement. So I have a couple of questions as I am new to my area and am looking for a new church. :wub:

Honestly sis, it is best to look it up yourself. I was just looking at a few post under the article, and there was some that said the Emerging Church is being mixed up with the Emergent Church. I guess like Christians may get lumped with those who protest funerals. Most often many people have no idea what they are talking about. They speak off of hearsay, without any actual evidence. Sadly,this is what it is becomeing. You want to know why apostosy happens? It is because love grows cold. Eyes are taken off of Christ, and set on men. We forget our tounges are our most dangerous weapons, and speak with graceless, unsalted words. Sis, your questions are not silly, but be careful. Some of the information that you may recieve may be from those you have placed themselves in Christ seat.

Apostasy happens when the Church departs from the faith once delivered unto the saints and begins to embrace the teachings of the culture around it. We have become a land of unwalled villages and soon we will pay for it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  376
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/30/1962

You know that sounds all fine and dandy, but I would rather just take Christ. There were many who wanted to keep their "old time religion" when He walked the earth, but old does not make it Him.

Gimme that old time religion is all about Christ, that was my point. I don't remember all the words to this hymn, but it is about focusing on Christ.

i know yer right hunter :wub:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I must be really sheltered. Although I have seen it mentioned here a couple of times, I don't really know anything about the Emerging church movement. So I have a couple of questions as I am new to my area and am looking for a new church. :wub:

Thanks ruck1b for the advice. I went back to nebs link and read the posts at the bottom. And it's exactly as you said, alot of back and forth accusations with no concrete evidence. I will definately look it up for myself. :wub:

Blessings Stacey!

Here is a link of an interview with Brian McLaren, by Terry Heaton. Terry asked Brian 10 basic questions, the first 5 are about postmodernism and the last 5 about how he views the media. This is just an interview and will only begin to give you an understanding on this issue. At the very least, it will cause you to ask more questions ...

Here is the lead up to the interview by Terry ...

"Brian McLaren is a postmodernist Christian leader, and that makes him a controversial fellow in a religion with roots in absolutism. He's the author of ten books and pastor of Cedar Ridge Community Church, an innovative, nondenominational church in the Baltimore-Washington region. He's one of the leaders of Emergent, a growing generative friendship among Christian leaders. In February, Time Magazine listed him as one of the 25 most influential evangelicals in America."

I have been at this for a little while and have over 65 sites bookmarked on the subject of New Age and the Emergent Church. Some really informative and some questionable. Do not be discouraged as you find out just how much there is to learn, if you really want to understand. It is a very broad study.

God Be With You In Your Studies!

Alan

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

I take it that the so-called Emergent Church doesn't believe that Scripture is inspired, or that Jesus is God in the flesh and that all kinds of sins are OK?